Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The OP's thread is just stupid, no way around it.

As many others have said, most basketball players are black because those individuals are currently the best at basketball.

I do not have accurate numbers at hand right now, but i think that the majority of top-pro tennis players are white.

Same goes for hockey i guess... i heard that chess is also white dominant, but that is not a physical sport.

The sterling guy got fired because his statements were bad for business.

Most basketball players and fans are black, and it was definitely a wise business move to get rid of a PR nightmare like sterling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Black people are genetically predisposed to outperform non-black people at any sport simply because they have greater proportions of non-neanderthal DNA.
    If we look past that your point is false it's funny that you mentiln black as one big group with no genetic differance no mater where they come from you do know that there is a HUGE dif between lets say the nations that are very good at long distance running and countrys like jamicia where they are much more explosive?

Quote Originally Posted by BastilaShan View Post
    And please explain this to me. Now we have the Donal Sterling issues, right? His statements were racist and because he stated them, in his home, he's banned from the NBA. Sounds reasonable, yea?
    And what world does this sound reasonable?

How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom of speech?

Sure, if hes racist, hes a piece of shit. That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.

Pretty fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You think the NBA is discriminating towards non-blacks because 78% of the players are black? I'm not sure you understand what discrimination is.
    Well, that is the argument that gets used in other fields all the damned time. If black people or women are underrepresented in science, for example, there are lots of people that firmly believe that this is because of racism and sexism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.
    Yeah, his life is "ruined" by his club of owners kicking him out and forcing him to make a billion dollar profit. Woe is him.

- - - Updated - - -

That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.
    Yeah, his life is "ruined" by his club of owners kicking him out and forcing him to make a billion dollar profit. Woe is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, that is the argument that gets used in other fields all the damned time. If black people or women are underrepresented in science, for example, there are lots of people that firmly believe that this is because of racism and sexism.
    Just because it's an argument used in other fields doesn't really make it a valid one for basketball. Context, man.

There's plenty of non-black dudes in basketball who got there because they were the statistical anomaly that outperformed their black peers. That's just it though; in other fields, minorities tend to be under-represented due to discrimination that causes them to receive fewer opportunities than their majority racial counterparts, but in sports that doesn't really work... unless you're talking about gays, who are very openly discriminated against regardless of performance capabilities in virtually every major American sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short people have a bit of a disadvantage when playing basketball.

I, as a short person, recognizes this, and have experienced it first hand in my life, playing friendly games of basketball.
    Putin khuliyo

I was having a thought, but I lost it.

Oh, right, sports. Probably the purest meritocracy you can find. Its only bias is on a demographic sourcing level. For example, black Americans are less likely to try going into baseball or hockey (they do, of course). Latino men are very likely to go into baseball, by contrast.

It's not racism really, more of which sport did your childhood train you to be best at? And then the best get to the highest level.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    As soon as a short dude can out dunk, out shoot, out run, and out perform tall dudes, a short dude will make it into the NBA. Its not descrimination, it's a job. It's based on ability.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    As soon as a short dude can out dunk, out shoot, out run, and out perform tall dudes, a short dude will make it into the NBA. Its not descrimination, it's a job. It's based on ability.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_Webb

Dude was pretty good for 5'7"

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Just because it's an argument used in other fields doesn't really make it a valid one for basketball. Context, man.
    I don't think it's valid in basketball or in science. Representation simply isn't a good marker for discrimination, there's too many other explanations that fit the facts better.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    There's plenty of non-black dudes in basketball who got there because they were the statistical anomaly that outperformed their black peers. That's just it though; in other fields, minorities tend to be under-represented due to discrimination that causes them to receive fewer opportunities than their majority racial counterparts, but in sports that doesn't really work... unless you're talking about gays, who are very openly discriminated against regardless of performance capabilities in virtually every major American sport.
    Kinda weird how that discrimination in science is targeted at black people, but not at East Asians or Indians. Those scientists sure are a selectively racist lot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Oh, right, sports. Probably the purest meritocracy you can find. Its only bias is on a demographic sourcing level. For example, black Americans are less likely to try going into baseball or hockey (they do, of course). Latino men are very likely to go into baseball, by contrast.

It's not racism really, more of which sport did your childhood train you to be best at? And then the best get to the highest level.
    Agreed wholeheartedly, but this logic pretty obviously applies in the context of academia as well - SAT scores are pretty damned meritocratic. One can easily argue that the reason for differences there is socioeconomic background and parenting, and I'd concur, but that doesn't suggest at all that college admissions are discriminatory in any meaningful sense. They're simply targeted at getting the best students.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.
    Thanks for my new sig!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Agreed wholeheartedly, but this logic pretty obviously applies in the context of academia as well - SAT scores are pretty damned meritocratic. One can easily argue that the reason for differences there is socioeconomic background and parenting, and I'd concur, but that doesn't suggest at all that college admissions are discriminatory in any meaningful sense. They're simply targeted at getting the best students.
    I'll refer you to the two University of Michigan cases.

1. Strict calculation not allowed.
    2. But accounting for race in a holistic way is fine.

Then the most recent one, which will not play out well (my opinion). I hope Scalia has a stroke, or something, soon. Kidding, kidding... (but I'm not).

I'll refer you to the two University of Michigan cases.
    1. Strict calculation not allowed.
    2. But accounting for race in a holistic way is fine.
    Then the most recent one, which will not play out well (my opinion). I hope Scalia has a stroke, or something, soon. Kidding, kidding... (but I'm not).
    I don't see how these really contradict what I'm saying, other than that universities discriminate in favor of certain minorities. It's pretty well established at this point that Asian-Americans face substantial discrimination in the admissions process, and I personally find that reprehensible. African-Americans (on average) have socioeconomic realities and lack of cohesive homes that are a pain in the ass when it comes to preparing them for university entrance, but they are emphatically not discriminated against by universities.

I don't see how these really contradict what I'm saying...
    Sorry, I was just throwing out a thing, not trying to contradict you. We don't always agree but I know you're someone I can have a good conversation about facts with, without us killing each other.

Sorry, I was just throwing out a thing, not trying to contradict you. We don't always agree but I know you're someone I can have a good conversation about facts with, without us killing each other.
    Oh, OK, I was kind of confused! Yeah, the recent cases (and the U of M ones) are entirely relevant. As far as an argument that discrimination in job markets is a problem, there are the studies that "black names" are less likely to get calls back than "white names". That seems like it's not great. The confounder there is that the "white names" used are things like "John" and the black names are things like "Vondaleesha". Perhaps all they're really demonstrating is that employers think that people with special snowflake names are a pain in the ass, on average. We'd have to insert some Skyler and Britni (with an I!) in for comparison.

And what world does this sound reasonable?

How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom
    Ugh. This argument again.

For the last time, having freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever the hell you want to say without suffering from any social or professional consequences. It just means the government can't prosecute you for saying those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom of speech?
    Not all beliefs are created equal. And if your beliefs involve treating other people like they're less than human, you can get bent. "Freedom of speech" means that the government can't punish you. It doesn't mean that the rest of society can't kick your ass to the curb.

*snort* Sterling is a billionaire. Cry more about how his life is ruined.

As far as an argument that discrimination in job markets is a problem, there are the studies that "black names" are less likely to get calls back than "white names".
    I saw a thing recently where identical resumes with identical names were submitted to many different employers. Some were told the candidate was white, some were told the candidate was black. Each resume had errors ranging from grammar, spelling, and formatting; all identical. White candidates tended to get comments like "Has potential." Black candidates tended to get comments like "Needs to show more effort." For the same resume.

I don't know, I'm sort of at a throw my hands up and... what does a person do after throwing their hands up?

I don't know, I'm sort of at a throw my hands up and... what does a person do after throwing their hands up?
    Wave them in the air like you just don't care.