Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    I have a borderline obsession with "truth", so I personally have NO problem admitting ignorance and am completely willing to throw away previously held notions if something more convincing comes along.

I don't get why most people aren't like that. I chalk it up to defective intellects.

- - - Updated - - -

So you plead your own ignorance on the subject of climate change models as your basis for denying their accuracy? You do grasp you have this thing called the "internet" right? You can take 5 minutes to research the subject and be informed, rather than just run at the mouth spouting incredulity.
    Im saying scientists arent using accurate data since there is no way to accurately get a temperature from several thousand global data points for a certain day 20,000 years ago. They are just trying to nail jello to a wall. The best they can do is say if it was hot or not based on indications of where ice was
    Last edited by Orlong; 2014-05-14 at 03:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Im saying scientists arent using accurate data since there is no way to accurately get a temperature from several thousand global data points for a certain day 20,000 years ago. They are just trying to nail jello to a wall. The best they can do is say if it was hot or not based on indications of where ice was
    Yep, decades of climate research by tons of people out of the window because Orlong on the MMO-Champion forums says scientists aren't using accurate data. Don't those scientists feel silly now! When can we expect your paper on this marvelous discovery?

I think it's amazing that people like him actually believe their own bullshit. It must be some sort of ego protection system.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    So your selfish. Gotcha. You do realize that if we actually fought back against gross capitalism in politics that products that are eco-friendly could be made both cost-friendly and of a suitable quality? The issues your citing exist as a net result of legislative warfare and economic warfare against a shift in toward environmentally conscious design.

It's the EXACT same reason we don't use PCB's anymore. Do you know why they were used? Because they were SUPER FUCKING CHEAP. Oh my sweet baby jesus the MONEY, the sheet, unadulterated PROFIT companies made from using that crap. Did they care that it hurt people and the environment? Hell no, why should they? Their singular focus is to make as much money and to amass as much power as possible. Corporations, are by definition, EVIL.

The government should be keeping them in check, but instead they collude with them (thank you republican party, yes, being rich is totally worth your integrity, right?).

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you don't know that, because you're not a climatologist. And I can tell you they CAN know the temperature on a certain day at a certain place 20,000 years ago pretty accurately because we UNDERSTAND what causes TEMPERATURE. When you have all the variables, you can extrapolate to pretty damn close.

You are still arguing from a position of ignorance and incredulity. And you're using a tactic apologists are famous for using: "Well, you can't know it EXACTLY, so therefore you must be wrong." That dog won't hunt, monseigneur.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly what I just said. Did you have a point?
    The point is we are at the same point on all the core charts from all the core sites.
    http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/press/jo...images/003.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmikeguy View Post
    In the last pic, you can see what they already know. We are in the natural warming part of the cycle. So now is the time, but difficult to say the exact rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vo...insolation.jpg

Natural? You do realize that the current atmospheric CO2 level cannot even be displayed on those graphs, right?

Land that was in the tropics during Pangea was tropical? Shocking.

Here's what the world looked like when the Pangea supercontinent existed.

For reference, this is what it looks like now in that projection

Last edited by Masark; 2014-05-14 at 03:39 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I have no descendants, so why should I care if the human race goes on after Im dead? My goal is to enjoy my life as much as possible while here since I dont have a lot of time and if it comes at the expense of people I dont know or love, then so be it.
    The "I'm an asshole" argument. Always fun.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The "I'm an asshole" argument. Always fun.
    Professes to not give a shit about others. Will still demand society bend to his desire.

Kevin Costner was always right.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Wrong. I might agree we are having some impact on the speed up of global warming in maybe the last 100 years...and increases of global warming do not take millions of years. Look at the last Ice Age, Which ended maybe 10,000 years ago. So in less then 10,000 years the sea level increased by several feet. Enough to bury ancient cities which ruins exist now....under several feet of water. :P
    Yes.

In 10,000 years.

We're projecting similar-scale changes in the next few centuries, depending on exactly how many feet you mean. Way, way faster than the natural process.

The main reason I deny it (I dont know about others) Is because I dont want to be forced to sacrifice my quality of life, by using inferior products and reducing consumption of other products. I want to continue to live a life of unrestricted excessive consumption. You might call it selfish or greedy, but it is what it is. Its me enjoying the years Im given as best as I can
    It's not just selfish, it's grossly ignorant, since what you're saying is you'd rather deny reality to preserve your comfortable fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by boomsnack View Post
    Kevin Costner was always right.....
    Yep, fish-man ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no descendants, so why should I care if the human race goes on after Im dead? My goal is to enjoy my life as much as possible while here since I dont have a lot of time and if it comes at the expense of people I dont know or love, then so be it.
    The main reason I deny it (I dont know about others) Is because I dont want to be forced to sacrifice my quality of life, by using inferior products and reducing consumption of other products. I want to continue to live a life of unrestricted excessive consumption. You might call it selfish or greedy, but it is what it is. Its me enjoying the years Im given as best as I can
    So you just admitted that you are a completely useless human being? Why should anyone take your opinions seriously? Slob

The loss of the entire western Antarctica ice sheet could eventually cause up to 4 metres (13ft) of sea-level rise, devastating low-lying and coastal areas around the world. But the researchers said that even though such a rise could not be stopped, it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away.

Either way as u said, big time frame...

Imho Global Warming is bullshit, yeah we need to move away from Fossil fuels / energy.
    But its VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the human race to make such a VAST AMOUNT of pollution in the short span we have.
    Global Warming is just another fear/blame tool, along with religion - money trouble - terroism. CONTROL CONTROL >.<

Earth have had temperature swings in the past, that has been proven.
    Who's to say what is happening around the world is not just natural?.

If we really wanna get rid of pollution, MAKE THE BLOODY SOURCES REMAKE THEIR ENERGY DELIVERY METHODS.
    We have green energy for everything these days.

Did you know that green cars is getting kept AWAY because it would cost billions to remake the factorys...

Did you know that electronic and cars is made these days to break WITHIN just 3-5 years.
    Did you know that car companies biggest income is not the sale of cars ! But Car-parts.
    Even though some car companies through-out history made such great cars they bankrrupted themselves because they never sold any spare parts!
    That is to say their product was so well made, it required no repairs for a boggling amount of time.

Its all a pyramid scheme, we could have had green energy for the entire world decades ago.
    greedy bankers / politicians / big business' is partly to blame, but it is us THE PEOPLE who is most to blame... Because we dont know enough about our planets economy.
    If you want some interresting read -> Read about Nikola Tesla.

Im sure his theories could have been to better use today.

"On his deathbed, Edison said his biggest mistake had been in trying to develop direct current, rather than the superior alternating current system that Tesla had put within his grasp."

"Albert Einstein was once asked, “How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?”, he responded, “I don't know, but if you want to know you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla."

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Natural? You do realize that the current atmospheric CO2 level cannot even be displayed on those graphs, right?

Land that was in the tropics during Pangea was tropical? Shocking.

Here's what the world looked like when the Pangea supercontinent existed.

For reference, this is what it looks like now in that projection

And where did all that water go?

Shocking!

10+ Year Old Account
    The point is we are at the same point on all the core charts from all the core sites.
    The problem is the scale; the current levels don't appear because they've been truncated.

Here's one that includes current levels of CO2;

See how we're significantly higher than the natural peaks of the past? Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The problem is the scale; the current levels don't appear because they've been truncated.

Nice find, but now we need a temperature graph for the sake of how much time we have left "anyway".

Approves of this message

10+ Year Old Account

Actually, I don't think that graph is current either. If I'm measuring right, it shows the current level at about 380ppm. It's actually over 400.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Actually, I don't think that graph is current either. If I'm measuring right, it shows the current level at about 380ppm. It's actually over 400.
    So looking at the natural points over time, and what those temperatures would be at those points, and where we are heading atm.

It's the same story, we do not have much time left. Natural or not.

True, we do not know what will happen at that point, it's all conjecture. Will the processes speed up once it starts? Plant life problems once it starts? Does it cause this http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...eReversal.html

Who knows.
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2014-05-14 at 04:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

In 10,000 years.

We're projecting similar-scale changes in the next few centuries, depending on exactly how many feet you mean. Way, way faster than the natural process.
    The pollution we are creating is already affecting life forms on the planet in very negative ways and in less than 100 years will have a much bigger impact on life as we know it on this planet in a much bigger way than global warming will. We can make a concentrated global effort on manmade green house contributions, slow down global warming, while ignoring the other pollution factors and still be screwed in 100 years or less. The stressed points should be on all pollution made by man with a global effort. Which no matter who may be correct on global warming, the facts are clear we are destroying our environment from man made pollution.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think Im going to need to see a citation for that.
    Sure. Solar panels:
    Oklahoma - http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/okl...-solar-panels/
    Georgia - http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...lar-ene/nTB6P/
    Missouri - http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...caaae6ed2.html

Electric cars:
    Missouri - http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...caaae6ed2.html
    New Jersey - http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/11/54...-in-new-jersey
    North Carolina - http://www.businessinsider.com/north...a-sales-2013-5
    Texas, Arizona - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4992758.html

This took maybe 3 google searches.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And where did all that water go?

Shocking!
    Not only that, but see where Antarctica is located ? Why does fossilized tropical flora exist there now under the ice? The answer is, the earth as a whole was much warmer than it is now.