Page 1 of 45
... LastLast

The Mage solo thread, because who needs a DK ?

Welcome to the Mage solo thread of MMO-Champion !

Hello fellow Mage ! If you've come here, chances are you wish to experience soloing as a Mage. Well, you have come to the right place, but know this: soloing as a Mage is not easy. But if you're feeling adventurous, keep reading !

A Mage is not be the strongest or the easiest pick to solo stuff with, but we do have soloing capabilities, or this thread wouldn't even exist !

So, you might ask, how can I solo stuff with a Mage ?

Part one : what specialization to choose ?

This is a nice thing about BfA : spec choice doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to, thanks to Azerite Traits.
    If you are not soloing high-end content like Mythic Legion raids, you can pick whatever you want and you'll be fine.

Some words about the specs though :

Fire : High mobility, great burst damage, awesome AoE
    Frost : Good constant damage, great at single target and cleave, only spec to have a pet (this can be very useful !)
    Arcane : Best single-target burst, good mass AoE

Keep something in mind : depending on what you are trying to solo, your spec will or will not matter. Some encounters are soloable no matter your specialization, others won't let you choose.

Part two : Getting ready

Gear

One of the biggest drawbacks of Mage soloing is dependance to gear. Since we are pretty squishy, we need to compensate way more than other classes, especially tanks. This is even more true for Azerite pieces, that cannot be farmed except in raids (and weekly caches if you are really lucky)

Always carry some healing potions for emergencies !
    Leech is a new tertiary stat introduced in patch 6.0.2. It converts a percentage of your damage into self-healing. The stat drop is random and can be on virtually any item, except world drops, crafted items and Azerite pieces. The more you have the better, so stack it !

Azerite Traits

This part will be centerd around defensive Azerite traits, since offensive traits serve little purpose in soloing other than DPS.

Cauterizing Blink is the best healing trait available, hands down. The HoT scales with all your secondary stats and stacks. The more, the better !
    Impassive Visage is the second best choice, providing a steady source of healing that can crit. Not on par with Cauterizing Blink but a good trait nonetheless.
    Eldritch Warding is a good trait to smooth incoming damage. It can be very powerful when combined with Frost talent Glacial Insulation or Fire talent Blazing Soul.
    Vampiric Speed is an awesome trait if you can kill a lot of enemies. The best example of encounters where this trait shines is Skorpyron and Eonar.
    Quick Thinking is very nice for Fire and decent for Frost. The heal can crit, and is a nice baseline healing, albeit low.

What can a Mage actually solo ?

If you want to know what Mages already soloed, simply follow this link :
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RsSpgKI9h2Fl3s
    For pictures of kills, look around here : http://magevs.imgur.com/ (courtesy of isaac2314)
    I also make videos, info in my signature.

Here you go ! Now you are properly prepared to tackle solo content with your Mage. Please share your acomplishments with us, and if you struggle or have questions, we are here to help !

I hope you enjoyed this guide, if you have any suggestion feel free to message me

Enjoy !
    Last edited by Araitik; 2019-05-06 at 11:49 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent work! Quite nice

Perhaps you could incorporate some info for specific bosses, if you have time later on.

Hey Araitik, can you tell us a bit of what you have solo'ed until now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cashew View Post
    Hey Araitik, can you tell us a bit of what you have solo'ed until now?
    I think everything out of interest is on his youtube channel.

Wouldn't this be a guide rather than a discussion thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Wouldn't this be a guide rather than a discussion thread?
    TBH we could turn it into both, assuming Araitik updates the OP with gathered information and whatnot.

Glad to see something like this pop up, especially from you, Araitik

Also, I'm gonna miss Glyph of Invocation come WoD. We'll be down to the trinket and Ice Block/Evanescence healing (can't spam), as well as Ice Barrier.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    TBH we could turn it into both, assuming Araitik updates the OP with gathered information and whatnot.
    Was just wondering if would want to change the topic to something else, but ye it's a nice thread to have, can gather all dem solo stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Was just wondering if would want to change the topic to something else, but ye it's a nice thread to have, can gather all dem solo stuff here
    I find that guides +discussion tend to be the best because everyone benefits. People can ask questions, debate what the best way to do X is, and also contribute to the OP with new-found strategies for soloing things (like using the Legendary Healer cloak to solo Valithria as a Mage for example). Plus, well, it'll be a lot better than having all those old threads Araitik had scattered around and other people asking about how to solo X (because I know those used to exist).

Could probably have a links section in the OP posting to Araitik's guides for stuff he's already done (because we don't need a ridiculously long/messy OP like my 6.0 one lol) as well as resources to other stuff that's already been posted for specific stuff, like Proving Grounds.

PS: Araitik, I bet you're ecstatic that we can upgrade the Crystal another 8 iLevels First 500 VP of 5.4.9 is totally going into my Heroic one!
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-05-17 at 07:51 AM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I will update the OP today with spreadsheets like those who exists in other threads

I find that guides +discussion tend to be the best because everyone benefits. People can ask questions, debate what the best way to do X is, and also contribute to the OP with new-found strategies for soloing things (like using the Legendary Healer cloak to solo Valithria as a Mage for example). Plus, well, it'll be a lot better than having all those old threads Araitik had scattered around and other people asking about how to solo X (because I know those used to exist).

Could probably have a links section in the OP posting to Araitik's guides for stuff he's already done (because we don't need a ridiculously long/messy OP like my 6.0 one lol) as well as resources to other stuff that's already been posted for specific stuff, like Proving Grounds.
    100% this.

PS: Araitik, I bet you're ecstatic that we can upgrade the Crystal another 8 iLevels First 500 VP of 5.4.9 is totally going into my Heroic one!
    I went crazy when the announcement came I had trouble with Omnotron Heroic, it's totally going down come this patch

PS : How would you like a full clear of ICC 25HC as a Mage ? Should come today or tomorrow (Valithria excluded, and Saurfang in 25NM)

Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    I went crazy when the announcement came I had trouble with Omnotron Heroic, it's totally going down come this patch

PS : How would you like a full clear of ICC 25HC as a Mage ? Should come today or tomorrow (Valithria excluded, and Saurfang in 25NM)
    Hehe enjoy! I also got REALLY upset when I logged in just an hour ago to find out my Crystal is Heroic and not Heroic WF Really hope I can snag one sometime before WoD because I have a feeling VP and Upgrades will vanish, so you can't upgrade once WoD is out, and with this trinket SCALING due to %s, it'll still be useful at 100, 110, etc

Haha, would love to see it! Best of luck on that stuff x.x; I think the hardest thing I've done so far was "2 man" 25 1-Light Yogg-Saron, and by "2 man" I mean "I brought my Rogue friend along who wasn't all that helpful and does shitty DPS", but this was Arceus (god) knows how long ago.

PS: Still soloing Throne of 4 Winds thanks to you! Never would have expected this to be as easy as I thought, and now I don't even need the Ice Block glyph for it anymore. Rohash dies so quickly with just IV

Flameglow has its uses, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendeura View Post
    Not in solo
    This is not a "how to play your mage" thread, it's "how to be alone and still kill the boss"
    Flameglow is always inferior to IB or TS, no matter the fight or the spec you choose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm unsure as to why you say no to Incanter's Ward. It allows Evocation to be a huge heal and you don't need to do anything for a decent damage boost. As fire/frost you can use it for a small damage absorption as well.

I've used Incanter's Ward on Yogg0 and Algalon, Putricide, Sindragosa, and Lich King as Frost in WotLK stuff. In Cata I use IW on all of BWD and BoT.

Then again I also have a 580 Juggernaut Crystal so maybe that skews things compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I'm unsure as to why you say no to Incanter's Ward. It allows Evocation to be a huge heal and you don't need to do anything for a decent damage boost. As fire/frost you can use it for a small damage absorption as well.

I've used Incanter's Ward on Yogg0 and Algalon, Putricide, Sindragosa, and Lich King as Frost in WotLK stuff. In Cata I use IW on all of BWD and BoT.

Then again I also have a 580 Juggernaut Crystal so maybe that skews things compared to others.
    You are completely right, looking at the picture again I can't remember why I colored it red.
    I just fixed it, IW should be yellow now

PS : It is yellow and not green because either RoP or Evoc is still better the majority of times. IW is good on encounters that don't deal massive damage (aka, don't require constant healing) or encounters that require constant movement (Halfus comes to mind)

Thanks for the heads up

- - - Updated - - -

Added a spreadsheet (shamelessly ripped off the DK thread).
    Did not include BC or Vanilla, because c'mon.

As of Naxx 25 and ToCG, I have no information and since I didn't tried myself I can't be sure. If you have solid information about these fights I will include them in the sheet

Deleted
    Thought I'd offer some insight as a ilvl 569 arcane mage. (I do have a 561 jugg trinket)

Regarding Naxx 25, I did the Plague Quarter (Noth, Heigan, Loatheb) just so I could finish Spore Loser which was the last achievement I needed. None of them posed a threat, but Heigan is really annoying with a crippling 500% haste penalty - you'd do well to do enough damage before this point.

Regarding Trial of the Crusader, I have managed to solo all of 25N, and i have the following tips:
    • Bait snobolds into interrupting your non-primary spell school (Northrend Beasts)
    • If you aren't going to kill the jormungar simultaneously, make damn sure you don't leave acidmaw up, or face a 40 second stun (Northrend Beasts)
    • Spam spellsteal on Jaraxxus for an easy kill
    • Might be worth using Flameglow on Champions, but cannot be sure; there are ten enemies doing low damage, ice barrier may still be better
    • Spellsteal the hero buff the Champions throw up for double hero action
    • Kill the adds spawned by Anub'arak before they can melee you or your melee damage taken skyrockets

I almost got a kill on Occu'thar 10N, but this was late at night and I wasn't really trying; it's entirely possible at my gear level.

It's really nice to finally see a dedicated thread for Mage soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadoworx View Post
    Thought I'd offer some insight as a ilvl 569 arcane mage. (I do have a 561 jugg trinket)

Regarding Naxx 25, I did the Plague Quarter (Noth, Heigan, Loatheb) just so I could finish Spore Loser which was the last achievement I needed. None of them posed a threat, but Heigan is really annoying with a crippling 500% haste penalty - you'd do well to do enough damage before this point.

Regarding Trial of the Crusader, I have managed to solo all of 25N, and i have the following tips:
    • Bait snobolds into interrupting your non-primary spell school (Northrend Beasts)
    • If you aren't going to kill the jormungar simultaneously, make damn sure you don't leave acidmaw up, or face a 40 second stun (Northrend Beasts)
    • Spam spellsteal on Jaraxxus for an easy kill
    • Might be worth using Flameglow on Champions, but cannot be sure; there are ten enemies doing low damage, ice barrier may still be better
    • Spellsteal the hero buff the Champions throw up for double hero action
    • Kill the adds spawned by Anub'arak before they can melee you or your melee damage taken skyrockets

I almost got a kill on Occu'thar 10N, but this was late at night and I wasn't really trying; it's entirely possible at my gear level.

It's really nice to finally see a dedicated thread for Mage soloing.
    Awesome ! Updated spreadsheet accordingly Marked 10man for TotC too because if you can do 25 you can do 10

Quote Originally Posted by shadoworx View Post
    Mirror Images should fix that issue for Heigan. You can also be Frost and be sure to save a few procs for when this happens if you're too slow (or if you take longer than 30s). Or be Fire and put your Comb on before it happens. You can also use the Conclave of Wind strategy and use Glyph of Ice Block.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendeura View Post
    Over a flat absorb like Ice Barrier? Yeah, no.

As promised, my video of ICC 25 Heroic solo

Everything doable except Saurfang Heroic (should be soloable come patch 5.4.8) and Valithria obviously.

Enjoy !

Deleted
    Araitik what addon you use for track Rune of Power buff??thx for answer

Quote Originally Posted by bl1zzaga View Post
    Araitik what addon you use for track Rune of Power buff??thx for answer
    All my tracking is done with WeakAuras