Noob mage question

So I have decided to roll mage for next xpac and I am leveling the toon atm only lvl 18.. I wanted the opinion of the mages here as to the best spec to level as from 1-60.. I know frost used to be the leveling spec but I don't think I need to have the control of frost since I have full heirlooms.. But fire seemed like there is no way I'll get Pyro procs.. So would arcane or frost or fire be better for leveling in your opinions.

I recommend frost. Leveling means, among other things, periodically getting swamped in bad guys, and frost is best for getting out of that alive.

Frost is pretty good, you can use glyph of splitting ice to cleave your way to the victory on the dungeons, remember to use the elemental freeze for free FoF. And once you get ice orb you're the king of the world.

I have a 90 mage but my guild is rerolling ally so I'm leveling this one to 60 and going to use the boost to get free professions. So I only need to get to 60.. Frost just seemed slow but I don't have icelance or fof yet only 4 levels so hopefully it picks up from there.. Thanks for the advice

Frost is always the du jour leveling spec for mages, HOWEVER if you are in full BOAs, fire is better, in my opinion, because with the way low level stats scale, fire oneshots almost everything.

That said... I'd recommend frost to level 48, then fire thereafter (you get scorch at level 48 which means zero downtime).

If you feel you want to try arcane, use it as your dungeon spec. Arcane is flat out terrible in world questing, but it does quite well in 5mans.

I always level as fire, because, well... I'm Pyro. It's just what I like. ^.^

I'd recommend frost as well, especially if you're leveling solo.

Frost is the least gear dependent. That said, in general leveling is really easy these days so play what you enjoy IMO.

ill switch to fire at 48 once i get scorch im leveling as arcane cause the water ele doesnt actually get to hit anything and ab is a faster cast time and i have low level cleave as arcane.. once i get fof i might switch back to frost

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalshen View Post
    So I have decided to roll mage for next xpac and I am leveling the toon atm only lvl 18.. I wanted the opinion of the mages here as to the best spec to level as from 1-60.. I know frost used to be the leveling spec but I don't think I need to have the control of frost since I have full heirlooms.. But fire seemed like there is no way I'll get Pyro procs.. So would arcane or frost or fire be better for leveling in your opinions.
    I levelled fire and it was pretty fun, but probably sub-optimal for the reasons you cite.

Personally if I had to roll a mage again with looms I'd probably go fire again, but its a personal decision. With no
    looms not so much, the extra survivability of frost is important.

Deleted
    I would go frost, its alot easier to quest. Simply becouse of all cc fun.

as is the repeating suggestion in the thread... Frost works very well however you easily CAN play any of the 3 and still have equal amount of fun. I'd say try them all see what you like most

My main has been a mage since the beginning of WoW, however I just started leveling another one (I'm an altoholic), and am currently at 68, so this is fresh in my mind.

What I've found is that Arcane is the worst, because Arcane Blast isn't useful without some Arcane Charges..building up charges to get decent dps isn't suitable for leveling. You want to one shot every thing.

Fire is cool, however getting Pyro procs is a little difficult. It gets easier at level 24 when you get inferno blast. Like at max level, it's fun to get a string a procs to just tab at each enemy and one shot each.

Frost is still, in my opinion probably the best spec because you don't have to deal with any damage BS (like RNG fire procs or BS Arcane charges), you just get full on frost damage for easy and quick leveling.

Deleted
    frost

10chars

Haven't read most of the posts here but I don't see much love for Arcane.
    It sucks you can't maintain the high crit % that you have prior to level 10 for Pyro procs. Even still Fire is good too, but once you get to 25, and obtaining the built-in slow Arcane Blast glyph, Arcane is insane.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1