Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    That's pointless by definition. In LFR, you're finding a group with complete randoms that you've never met before and will almost certainly never meet again. Why should you HAVE to interact? LFG/LFR are prime causes of what destroyed server communities. You don't have to make friends on your server. You don't have to work you way up the guild chain. You don't have to ensure you have a good reputation among your piers. You just hit queue and wait. Fucking pathetic.
    This assumes that assholes can't climb a social ladder. But they do, oh yes they sometimes own the ladder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    My (new) signature fits many off the comments inn this thread.
    Your new sig makes no sense. Wow is not like tv it is like a TV show, and most of them last for a few years if lucky. What would make more sense is if the Computer=TV.

I just love these "I miss BC" threads they're amazing.

Deleted
    Then i strongly recomend you try out wildstar it should come out this june

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanon View Post
    Then i strongly recomend you try out wildstar it should come out this june
    I support this statement I think wildstar might be the game people in this thread want wow to be. There are attunements, for example.

Just be aware that wildstar has a LFG tool (a very nice one actually), and that there is a very robust and scalable server setup. http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...t_servers.php/
    Last edited by finskee; 2014-05-19 at 07:48 PM.

So you say they you basically were stuck on Kara the whole time you played BC, you saw gear from other raids but were never able to obtain them so that 'gave you incentive to play.'

You also say that the current content is boring because it's all you do...

In BC, the ENTIRE expansion, you did one raid and barely attempted anything else because of how stuck everyone was... but you can do any raid now whether low or top end... and your bored?

Sounds like you miss the feeling of raiding (itself) being a fresh concept, after raiding for years on-end it's going to feel dry. You're just feeling nostalgic, it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but the fun you had was because the game was still fresh and new, not because it was better.

Raiding today is miles ahead of what it was in BC (Heroic, normal/lfr/flex don't count).
    Yeah, this.

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to be arguing that raiding is more complex and therefore the OP is wrong for having had fun in BC. I'm not arguing that boss mechanics aren't more complex now, but the game was more satisfying back then, so does the complexity really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by FellishBeast View Post
    People seem to be arguing that raiding is more complex and therefore the OP is wrong for having had fun in BC. I'm not arguing that boss mechanics aren't more complex now, but the game was more satisfying back then, so does the complexity really matter?
    Not at all no. I find the mechanics now days way over the top, you have so many things on each encounter its like a damn book off reading tactics.

Much off that is to blame for our all generaly better and developed gaming skils we've gotten as a player base over the years, so blizzard keept pushing what they tough was reasoable. Still I find abbilities on fights bloated.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

What would I do in bc...

LF Steamvaults run for Kara attunement on alts
    Heroic Dungeons for Badges / Daily Dungeon Quests -> They were pretty good. Now we just get a bonus to valor which can be capped. Badges couldn't be capped, but were more of a grind. Now valor awards some 522 loot but majority just for upgrading gear.
    There was no battle pets so I wouldn't be doing that
    There was no legendary quest line so I wouldn't be doing that
    There was no LFR/Flex so I wouldn't be doing those
    I didn't like PVP back then as much as I do now so I'd probably get into it more but not make it to Glad.
    No farm
    The island back there was Quel Thalas, the dailies there were always the same and there was no rare mobs / rare items to grind for so that'd be over quickly.
    Probably gain my reputations up but there were no achievements back there as incentives.
    No Challenge modes (apart from heroics but didn't reward titles/mount/xmog gear)
    No Xmoging
    No running old instances for battle pets

Not alot to do... why would you prefer bc? There is substantially LESS to do.

EDIT:
    The only GOOD thing about having less to do is that you will log on, and you know exactly what to do due to so little choices. Nowdays I log on and sit there for 30mins thinking what to do first. Do I pvp? Do I use Oqueue and finish legendary quest on my alts? Which toon do I cap valor on first so my alts get the buff? Do I want to do battle pet dailies? Do I want to try celetial tourny? Do I want to farm Warlock Green Fire book? Do I want to check if Warbringers are up? Do I want to get my Emporer reputation to exalted (recently completed yay!)? Do I want to get my 40 RBG wins for the season for a mount? Do I want to run old instances for mounts? Which do I run first and what's the most effecient path to where I am right now and how long my hearth is on cooldown for?

These are the quests that go through my head once I've logged on after a day at work.

My head usually hurts shortly after.
    Last edited by Jazzycakes; 2014-05-20 at 07:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peteed1985 View Post
    Been playing 8 years now with an 85+ of each class and 6 or 7 90's. Killed Garrosh a few weeks ago and I just feel empty. Other than raiding I can't find a reason to log in.

In BC my server which was skywall sucked. The best guild wiped of Lady Vashj for 3 months at like 2% I heard. Don't even think the server got into BT by end of the xpac.

I killed the prince in kara once and never did any other raids.

My group couldn't reliably get Shade of Aran each week.

I cleared trash to curator then was sitting outside the back door for an hour while they got a mage in for the 1 tank fight so my bear geared cat form wouldn't shock anyone which annoyed the hell out of me.

I ran SV for the CE rep items so much the place to this day makes me sick to the stomach.

The only H 5 man done much was Mech and most of the others needed guild groups cause they were apparently too hard for pugs.

Yet even with all of this BC was still the most fun and memorable times in WoW.

LFR and Flex and Normal being alot easier to get groups for and beat is all well and good and it is nice to see it all but when you have seen everything already and theres still 6 months or more of nothing till a new expansion it gets annoying and boring waiting for half a year.

Having new stuff that you haven't seen yet gives you something to look forward to and to log in for. But having beat normal and not really being good enough to do heroics, which lets face it its the same boss with a few new twists and hurts more. It leaves you looking back to the good old days when it might of been hard but there was always a new boss waiting for you to get to and you couldn't skip content.

So many players feel that they don't need to make an effort on normal because if they can do LFR in ungemed and unenchanted gear then they should be able to in normal.

Blizzards view of wanting players to see the content they have created is good but why if they want their work seen and experienced do they then seem to say the complete opposite by making it so easy to skip all the old tiers and the older expansions raids? Is only blizzards current work good and worth seeing? Doesn't make sense because if its not worth seeing now then it never was because the moment WoD comes out the good SoO suddenly becomes old news blizzard won't care about anyone experiencing.

Once a new normal comes out noone wants to do the old anymore simply because you can bypass it. I know alot who were happy to be in kara near the end of BC but the moment heart of fear came out MV groups disappeared overnight. Don't think anyone on my server has run an MV, HoF, ToES or ToT proper runs since SoO came out. WoW keeps losing players at the end of expansions because players have no new current content they haven't seen because blizzard pushed people into the last raid by all of this catching up bull. A full set of 496 epic gear should take more than 10 minutes of opening chests on a freebie island to get. You shouldn't be in the highest raid in the game 10 minutes after you hit the level cap.
    Spending, what, 8 months progressing in Siege of Orgrimmar will kill anyone's spirit.

As I've said in many other threads all this could be easily fixed in my opinion by implementing a few changes to the difficulties:
    * Tighter gear checks the higher the difficulty level > takes longer to clear a tier
    * Less loot from bosses > takes longer to complete farming a tier
    * Change iLvls to support linear progression within each difficulty, no need to do heroic in T18 as mythic gear from T17 would be better for example > leads to less boredom.

So in short. Choose a difficulty, clear it, farm it, move on to the next tier same difficulty.

Deleted
    I, too, miss the fun I had during BC.

HOWEVER, I always remind myself that I'm forgetting the less-than-fun parts. The brain is like that. You easily remember the fun you had while forgetting the bad parts. But I don't (I do have to dig through my mind to recall them though)

Running Heroics with less than savory groups? I remember those.
    Farming heaps of shit for enchantments/consumables? Yeah, that too.
    Not getting into SSC/TK because that would require more raiders than my guild had (and taking randumbs was a no-go)?
    Having a no-fun-rule established in said raids after we had a raid-merger with a big raiding guild?
    Doing dailies all the time, back when the idea of dailies was new and daily rotation wasn't on anyones mind?

All these things I remember. Sure, I had oodles of fun, but I also had oodles of no fun at all.

Try to remember BOTH sides of the coin before fondly remembering 'all the fun you had'.

Personally, I'm having fun now, too. Could be more ofc, but it could be less, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzycakes View Post
    Not alot to do... why would you prefer bc? There is substantially LESS to do.
    Sometimes, less is more. During TBC, for example, the "less" you describe simply had more depth and difficulty, so could easily keep players engaged for much longer. Level cap dungeons were arguably tougher than heroic dungeons are now, and heroic dungeons were certainly harder than any small group content we currently have.

Raids required attunements, typically completing parts from previous tiers before moving into the next one. This was another aspect that took time and had players go through the content in the order in which it was intended throughout the expansion. Again, this was a philosophy difference to what we have now that doesn’t want players stuck in old tiers, and would prefer them to play the newest content.

Professions had more depth than they do now. Not only was there the crafting specializations, they also had specific sets that could be made with set bonuses for relevant specs. In some cases they were also interdependent on each other, which promoted communication and group-play which should be cornerstones of an MMORPG.

There was far greater class diversity back then, which led to players feeling more unique and useful to a group. Certain buffs, now considered “mandatory”, were only found on particular classes and if you wanted said buff, you took said class. Clearly, this is another design philosophy that has bitten the dust as Blizzard decided that buffs shouldn’t be so difficult to get a hold of.

Now obviously, every point above can be contested and (funnily enough) each one has supporters either way. Both opinions are perfectly valid, and objective, despite clashing.

My point is simply to say that if someone preferred TBC, it’s not purely “nostalgia”. The game was very different and, to many, it was better.

That’s life.

I miss the fun we had in vanilla AV but blizzard is never changing it back so no reason complaining

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

10+ Year Old Account
    By the end of TBC, every PUG could clear Kara without a wipe. Badge gear made it just faceroll.. you actually only did Kara for Badges back then..

If you want to enjoy the game the same way again, you will need a complete wipe of WoW, and gaming since then, from your memory.

You may even enjoy it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    My (new) signature fits many off the comments inn this thread.

I would love to keep playing wow as much as I once did, every day, every week, every month. But no, when the goal, the fun and overall sence off acomplishment is gone...
    Your sig makes no sense, TV is not the same as A SINGLE game.

Comparing a game to a single TV show would make sense, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Your sig makes no sense, TV is not the same as A SINGLE game.

Comparing a game to a single TV show would make sense, you are comparing apples to oranges.
    Maybe, could be argued TV as a hole media is to broad to compare to a single game.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I've been watching Doctor Who for decades.

Don't get me wrong, I take your point and generally agree, but I think Djuntas' point is simply that people consistently write off preferences for the way the game used to be as "nostalgia" when, actually, there are multiple objective reasons for why a player would have liked it more.

Perhaps it's why I got so wired into WildStar. Ignoring the fact that I think it's simply a better game, Nexus just feels... Dangerous in ways that Azeroth has long since lost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    Pretty much this, If this came back WoW would be a better game for sure. Entitled Casuals ruined the game when this was removed.

The only Sense of Accomplishment you get is either Gladiator or Herioc Raiding Content cleared.
    Most heroic bosses doesnt feel like an accomplishment either, Only siege and garrosh gave a little feeling of it after u wiped over 150+ times But that feeling is not even close if u compare it from before,

Deleted
    You know there are those lucrative private servers just for people like you OP!

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla and TBC was a really good coming together of minds, to make an incredible video game.

Anyone that experienced that era, is so spoiled now. We were lucky to have played it, but now everything is just lacking compared to it.