Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Will we ever create A.I?

So I just watched Her and it gave me a deep thought. Will man ever create an artificial consciousness or is it impossible. Anyone have any ideas?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

The real question is, can we fuck it?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Does it blend?

And no, I hope we never do.

Good question.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Someone will, simply because they can. In fact, the more people who say they can't/shouldn't do it, the more likely it becomes. That's just human nature, seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If current computers are in any way analogous to the brains of lower organisms, then I think it's inevitable that we will unless we destroy ourselves first.
    I think according to moore's law, if you were to break down everything the human brain does into binary cpu tasks then by 2035 the average desktop computer will have the "power" of the human brain.

Obviously a binary CPU doesn't exactly emulate the functions of the human brain and would have to be programmed in order to do so.

For a while universities were experimenting with "neural networks" which were computers that did actually simulate how brains worked; (See Terminator 2: "My cpu is a neural net processor")however since then Binary computers have gotten so much more powerful that it's just easier to simulate the function of a neural network in the software.

Shit gets scary in the 2060-2070 range when the average consumer grade desktop computer CPU will have the computing power of every human brain on the planet combined. So if by then somebody has created true "living" software to go along with it we're pretty much fucked.

If current computers are in any way analogous to the brains of lower organisms, then I think it's inevitable that we will unless we destroy ourselves first.
    Pretty much, put the "doomsday clock" up next to the "AI clock" and see which counts down first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    Pretty much, put the "doomsday clock" up next to the "AI clock" and see which counts down first.
    The problem with the "doomsday clock" is that it's based on 'nuclear stuff'.

The fact is not all physicists actually support the idea of a "nuclear winter" style doomsday. It's actually media sensationalism that promoted it into the mainstream dialogue (Due to a paper by Carl Sagan, who was already the beloved popculture TV scientist by then) but it is actually a broadly contested idea. And the earliest papers on the topic based their projections of levels of radioactive fallout on surface detonations (but tactical nuclear weapons have since been designed primarily for air detonations, which don't leave anywhere near as high a concentration of local radioactive fallout as a surface detonation would, it would actually be relatively dillutely spread throughout the atmosphere). So the primary consequence of a nuclear war on people outside of the "hot zones" might at worst be increased cancer rates and cancelled travel plans.

And when you just calculate the raw energy of the situation, we're pumping more energy into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels than we would if we "dropped the bomb" (and "dropping the bomb" would significantly reduce the future use of fossil fuels to put it lightly) so other than killing lots of people things would actually balance out in the long run.

So the bottom line is, the doomsday clock is full of shit. There's far more effective ways we could potentially end our civilization that it doesn't take into account.

By the time we Create AI the reapers will come and kill us all

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    Ah, we moved on from Communism being the end of days to AI being it. I wonder what will come next after we prove AI was not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think according to moore's law, if you were to break down everything the human brain does into binary cpu tasks then by 2035 the average desktop computer will have the "power" of the human brain.
    Quantum tunneling.
    It can't be done with silicone. Either graphene or optical computers.

The future will be interesting.
    I can't wait until universal translator contact lenses are made. People's travel plans won't be limited to which languages they speak, and maybe by seeing more of the world people will be less ignorant in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    So I just watched Her and it gave me a deep thought. Will man ever create an artificial consciousness or is it impossible. Anyone have any ideas?

Might want to change thread title, huge difference between AI (which exists) and AC.

Even we know we are the cancer of this planet. Wouldn't take long for A.I. to figure that out and kill us all. Haven't you seen those movies?

I am personally working on the code that will make this a reality.

Give it 20 years and we will be working out the final kinks.
    Call me Cassandra

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Quantum tunneling.
    It can't be done with sillicone. Either graphene or optical computers.
    Actually scientists have recently been working on a 100% conductive 2 dimensional tin based structure for potential computing applications (Stanene).

And they theorize the possibility of modifying the design in order to maintain the 100% conducitivity at temperatures as high as 100C.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-silicon-chips

Really quite interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-05-21 at 08:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baronthefirst View Post
    Even we know we are the cancer of this planet. Wouldn't take long for A.I. to figure that out and kill us all. Haven't you seen those movies?
    An AI wouldn't care at all about the planet. Why would it?! Life and Nature are chaos, inneficiency, uselessness. Given the opportunity, it would turn the planet into a massive power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    That's a good question and won the thread.

On topic, future of AI is understanding human brain. There are many fields researching it (Artificial neural networks, computational neuroscience, cognitive science and so on). We may have reasonably well AI in future but as good as our brain? If we do not wipe ourselves, eventually we will get thereat some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    An AI wouldn't care at all about the planet. Why would it?! Life and Nature are chaos, inneficiency, uselessness. Given the opportunity, it would turn the planet into a massive power plant.
    How about you have absolutely no way of knowing what the AI would value, what it would think, and what it would do. That's why the capability of the AI will be severely limited in most (if not all) cases. So you can make a packaging robot, and as much as it might learn about other things, it still only has tools effective at packaging things.
    Call me Cassandra

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    That's a good question and won the thread.
    Mostly I was reminded of the semi I got from Scarlet's o-voice in that movie. Jesus christ that movie did nothing to help reduce my unhealthy infatuation with her.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.