Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Did I buy a stolen laptop?

Got a nice new (kinda, listed as refurbished) laptop today, good specs and a good deal IMO.
    £485 for a Samsung chromos 7

Basically there's a crack on the bottom of the laptop, mentioned in the description (maybe due to tampering?), the internal speakers don't work, and the serial number is deliberately scratched off. there is also no windows 8 key sticker on the laptop.

other than that it looks brand new and works fine so i'm not sure I should worry about the small things.
    if it can do what I want then I guess I can't complain

pics-
    http://imgur.com/fsTROvk,b5OuWp9

spec:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    15.6 inch 1920x1080 screen
    Intel 3230M Dual core 3.2GHz hyperthreading
    AMD Radeon HD 8800M
    1TB HDD
    8GB RAM

so what do you guys think? and what should I do? if anything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    all laptops are stolen to a certain degree
    I've read some stupid things in my time but this makes the top 20.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are pretty impressive specs for something sub 500 on a laptop. Nice buy if not stolen.

The crack could be down to someone just dropping it , and some people don't like any of the stickers and writing and peel it all off. Kind of stupid since it makes it harder to sell but people still do it.

If it IS stolen, it wont be traceable to you. Unless you call in for support (but then again the S/N is gone) and its flagged.

the serial number is deliberately scratched off
    I dont understand why anyone would do this unless its stolen..

Also, if it looks and sounds too good to be true (That price for those specs), it usually is.

What should you do? Use it, and hope its not stolen and if it is, hope there is no way to track it.

Where did you buy it?

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I think thats my laptop you got. Thanks for finding it for me.

Where did you buy it...? Why not tell that, its the most important thing.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    If OP was smart enough to reason for himself this thread would not exist, I hope that answers your question as to where it was purchased.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post

Sound's like a Gumtree jobby. There are some dodgy bastards on that website.

Maybe you did buy a stolen laptop.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I bought it on ebay, the guy sells a lot of electronics stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinto View Post
    If OP was smart enough to reason for himself this thread would not exist, I hope that answers your question as to where it was purchased.
    Bashing people on the internet doesn't make you smarter, sorry.

Deleted
    If the serial number is scratched off then it probably was stolen at some point. May not have been the guy you bought it from though, it could have passed hands a whole bunch of times. If he's a big electronics seller he probably buys bulk lots from other people and doesn't question the origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexed View Post
    How is that bashing, I'm answering someone's question.

I spy with my little eye... a Gamecube!

the serial number is deliberately scratched off
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    I dont understand why anyone would do this unless its stolen.
    But anyway I agree, no reason to remove the S/N unless it's stolen.
    ( ; , , ; )

Deleted
    I bought it on ebay, the guy sells a lot of electronics stuff.

Most likely stolen, i bought my bicycle that way aswell.

When i saw the price and all i sort of knew it but hey, good stuff for good prices!

Deleted
    I took the bottom shell off, funnily enough there is a serial number on a white sticker on the inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vightnic View Post
    I spy with my little eye... a Gamecube!

But anyway I agree, no reason to remove the S/N unless it's stolen.
    Theoretically someone couldve removed the serial number sticker thinking there was a screw underneath it. He may have been trying to get the bottom off (hence the crack) and since many manufacturers put screws under stickers (but never under serial number stickers) he may have thought there was one under it. Now that I look at mine (I have a similar model with slightly higher specs) There is no serial number sticker on mine either. Te serial number is screenprinted directly on the bottom of the laptop in the area where the UL and FCC certifications and model number is printed

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Theoretically someone couldve removed the serial number sticker thinking there was a screw underneath it. He may have been trying to get the bottom off (hence the crack) and since many manufacturers put screws under stickers (but never under serial number stickers) he may have thought there was one under it. Now that I look at mine (I have a similar model with slightly higher specs) There is no serial number sticker on mine either. Te serial number is screenprinted directly on the bottom of the laptop in the area where the UL and FCC certifications and model number is printed
    If you click the imgur link OP posted you can see its been scratched off, tbh tho OP dont lose any sleep over it.

http://imgur.com/fsTROvk,b5OuWp9#1

10+ Year Old Account
    Youre right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    Most likely stolen, i bought my bicycle that way aswell.

When i saw the price and all i sort of knew it but hey, good stuff for good prices!
    Heh, my old bike got stolen by the local thieves; my mum (I was like 10 at the time) walked onto their garden mid day and took it back whilst they were there. They didn't say a word. It also had numbers n such scratched off so they were going to try to sell it I guess, but she wrote it on something and put it inside the actual bike frame so we knew it was ours.

OT: Probably stolen, and there's probably not a lot you can do. Not sure you'll be able to get your money back if you give it back to the real owners. Up to you.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-06-02 at 01:40 PM.