Question Can a macro "permanently" swap between what spell is located in the action bar?

I think a random example will provide the best explanation of what i am asking:

Upon pressing the button 3 (keybinding for my macro) a single target nuke spell is casted.

Then i press something like "CTRL + 3" and my single target nuke spell turns into my AoE nuke spell (changes on the action bar).

It stays like that until i again press the "CTRL + 3" modifier, upon which the macro turns back into the single target nuke.

I already know of the ctrl/shift modifiers that will cast a different spell WHILE HOLDING the modifier button.

What i am looking for is a way to make the different spell replace the previous spell, until i press the modifier button again.

Or, in other words, i don't want to have to press the modifier key every time i want to trigger the alternate spell - i just wanna toggle between the two spells.

Does anyone know of such a macro?

10+ Year Old Account
    What you're looking for is a toggle, and WoW macros cannot accomplish that.

Not change the contents of the button, but potentially switch two action bars.
    You could maybe page the action bars, such that a given press will switch that bar entirely to another.
    Certainly easier to apply to non-combat stuff like professions.
    On two otherwise unused bars then it might be possible.

Pretty sure I saw it recently in a video of someone's UI, actually paging the action bar.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-06-03 at 01:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Action Bar paging is similar. But that changes an entire bar rather than one ability.

I guess toggling an entire bar can be done, especially since i got one or two that are empty.

Could you please explain how a macro would go that would switch from Bar 1 to Bar 2 (or whatever) on one press, and then revert to the first one on the second press?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I guess toggling an entire bar can be done, especially since i got one or two that are empty.

Could you please explain how a macro would go that would switch from Bar 1 to Bar 2 (or whatever) on one press, and then revert to the first one on the second press?
    You would probably not use a macro, but rather, you would go into the Blizzard key binding interface and bind the key to switching to the right bar, or to the "next" bar, and configure bartender / dominos to only page the two bars that you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    Action Bar paging is similar. But that changes an entire bar rather than one ability.
    You can get the same effect, though, by making two bars that are identical except for the one button that you want to swap between two abilities. Then paging between those two bars would make it seem as if just one button were changing.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Not sure if possible, will look into it. Doubt it tho. I have not come across a "Fire and Brimstone" type macro.

As said, make two bars identical except for the spell you put on spot 3.

And bind this macro to CTRL+3
    Code:
    /swapactionbar rowA rowB
    rowA and rowB being an Integer 1-6, corresponding to an action bar.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Nevermind, found the fix.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2014-06-04 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I can't seem to get this thing to work.

i try typing /swapactionbar row1 row 2 (or any other combination), but nothing happens.

Any ideas what is going on?
    I dont use any addons for actionbars.
    Just go to your Keybinds and set the bind for switching Action bars to Ctrl-3

Bypass all the need for Macros.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    Just go to your Keybinds and set the bind for switching Action bars to Ctrl-3

Bypass all the need for Macros.
    Indeed, thanks!

And thanks for all the posts and help!

Just to clarify for anyone else reading this thread, the macro shouldn't actually have the word "row" in it, just the number 1 through 6 to swap between those two bars.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator