Page 78 of 88 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    All I've seen is assertions it was possible.

Homicides don't seem likely to end ever.Homicide has existed for thousands of years, guess we should tell the victim's families to sack up, its not worth getting upset over. (yeah, taking a page from your sig as well.)
    That you think this is my argument is just pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

We should take means to prevent attacks. We should deal with people who attack us, like the criminals they are. What we don't need is years and years of constant war trying to stop anyone from ever using a tactic that has existed for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    All I've seen is assertions it was possible.

That you think this is my argument is just pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

We should take means to prevent attacks. We should deal with people who attack us, like the criminals they are. What we don't need is years and years of constant war trying to stop anyone from ever using a tactic that has existed for thousands of years.
    I get your argument, I just chose to strip it down to that. See how easy it is to do? Point made.

I'd love to live in a world like that. The human condition prevents us from achieving that at this point. A world wide revolution in thinking would have to occur. Come on man, let's be realistic about it.
    Last edited by Vercigentorix; 2014-06-07 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercigentorix View Post
    I get your argument, I just chose to strip it down to that. See how easy it is to do? Point made.
    yes constructing a strawman is really easy

I'd love to live in a world like that. The human condition prevents us from achieving that at this point. A world wide revolution in thinking would have to occur. Come on man, let's be realistic about it.
    You act like the present hysteria is how its always been.

Yeah that's definitely what I'm talking about. I'm glad you're interested in being so honest.
    It's pretty much exactly what you said, but feel free to clarify your opinion on why terrorism isn't worthy of our concern if you feel I have misrepresented it.

Cherry picked quotes from Democrat-leaning sources, exactly like I said. McCain says he would support a prisoner exchange, conditional on the details and then rejects the details of trading five high-ranking Taliban detainees for one American hostage of questionable loyalty - that's a flip flop? Sure. Allen West's initial statement was a wildly inaccurate smear of the Obama Administration, but he doesn't speak for the entire "right." I see no inconsistencies in the statements of Sarah Palin (though neither of them are particularly bright). What is known about Berghdal now was not widely known in July 2009. Ayotte's urging to "do all [they] can" would obviously not include an illegal prisoner exchange (which would fall under the realm of "can't" in politics). Most of the rest fall under the same umbrella.

This issue is certainly being used as a political football. But pretending only one side does this is the apogee of foolishness.

Point stands, if they're Taliban POWs its time to start releasing them or if they're criminals its time to try them.
    Point stands that people way more important then either you or I have curtailed the rules to their liking, and they don't have to do either of which you claim " they have to do ". If you feel they are breaking some sort of international law, go seek help from an international agency, but seeing they aren't actively pursuing the US to cease it's operations down in Cuba, crying " but dey is wrong " is false.
    Last edited by Stop Pretending; 2014-06-07 at 08:36 PM.

It's pretty much exactly what you said, but feel free to clarify your opinion on why terrorism isn't worthy of our concern if you feel I have misrepresented it.
    I've more than clear enough with you.

Cherry picked quotes from Democrat-leaning sources, exactly like I said.
    Its all cited

I've more than clear enough with you.
    I thought so, too, but you seemed to have some objection with how I understood your claim that terrorism wasn't worth twisting panties, so I figured it was the polite thing to do to give you another opportunity to clarify your opinion.

Its all cited
    Sure, it's all cited. And still cherry-picked and presented as contradictions when they aren't. The only meat in that article came from Allen West and that's because his first statement was an outright lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonic View Post
    Everything I've seen from this thread is, breaking the law is okay as long as Obama does it.
    To be fair, a better summary would probably be: Breaking the law only matters when someone you don't like does it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair you're right, it's just funny to watch the lefties get all up in arms about being called out on it.
    Which is the problem. It's an issue when you can generalize those you disagree with as doing it, but it's par for the course when you agree with it. It's just easy to do what you are doing, it's much more prudent to actually find a common ground and discuss the issue. If you argue that gitmo shouldn't even exist, you will find plenty of lefties to agree with you... but, that's not the point...

What you are actually saying, is that lefties do not agree with you on what you think Obama has done wrong, but you ignore their reasons of Obama doing wrong, because you don't agree with them. If you remove the rhetoric bullshit you are pushing, all that is really happening is that you are disagreeing with someone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    To be fair, a better summary would probably be: Breaking the law only matters when someone you don't like does it.
    That's the rhetoric being pushed, but not reality. It's more of, breaking the law only matters when you agree with the law being just. You don't see conservatives pissed off at Obama not closing gitmo and it's detention without a trial ruled unconstitutional almost a decade ago.

I simply feel that trading 5 people who should have been tried or released 7 years ago, for a US soldier who might be a deserter, seems like a fair trade... even if law was broken to get there, because a law was already being broken by holding the 5 men... If conservatives rallied behind closing gitmo and calling Obama out over it, after habeas corpus rights of the detain were established, this wouldn't even be an issue. There would be no 30 days notice... There would be nothing to trade...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    strange that gitmo used illegal torture, didnt trial people, had innocent citizens from allies imprisoned there, and has been condemned internationally, but im glad the GOP feels the need to raise the legal issue now... as prisoners are returned...

I'd kill for the ability to discuss the facts without someone dragging politics into it. "The GOP did this, and the left does that" is getting tedious and monotonous. Or for the ability to discuss it without someone dragging some propaganda, falsehoods or unfounded speculation into it.
    Last edited by Vercigentorix; 2014-06-07 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Updating

Funny, wasn't Obama gonna shut it down wasn't he...didn't he say that back in 2007.....
    Is that why Congress made him keep it open? Too bad he's not a dictator that defies laws and shuts it down anyway.

What right wing bull talking point can we disprove next?

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, wasn't Obama gonna shut it down wasn't he...didn't he say that back in 2007.....
    Yes.

And then get became President, almost immediately tried to get it shut down, and Congress blocked him.

Because the President isn't the God-king of the USA. He's just the head of the Executive branch of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes.

And then get became President, almost immediately tried to get it shut down, and Congress blocked him.

Because the President isn't the God-king of the USA. He's just the head of the Executive branch of government.
    Yet he couldn't get it shut down, with a democrat majority in congress and senate. Even his own party didn't back him with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Yet he couldn't get it shut down, with a democrat majority in congress and senate. Even his own party didn't back him with this.
    The 2008 election put a lot of conservative democrats into office.

The 2008 election put a lot of conservative democrats into office.
    Is this the excuse we are using when we can't blame the GOP for blocking something?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    What happened to "TIME FOR A CHANGE"?
    I am quite happy Equal rites have come so far under Big-O
    Today every state in the country is in some stage of marriage equality. ^_^ .. that is a huge change, and you know it all started with DOMA being said to be undefensable because of it's lack of constitutionality..
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Is this the excuse we are using when we can't blame the GOP for blocking something?
    I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with shit posting like this.

The Democrats had to deal with a lot of members who would have been a better fit in the GOP in the 90s and early 2000s.

When in doubt blame the other party, when still in doubt, blame the conservative members of my party.
    None of this actually shows I'm wrong. The Blue Dogs were a thing.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with shit posting like this.

The Democrats had to deal with a lot of members who would have been a better fit in the GOP in the 90s and early 2000s.
    We're talking 2009. Not the 90's or early 2000s. He had majority in both, and got shit done. That lands on him and his party.

i seriously doubt the naysayers would be bashing obama if they had been the prisoner