Page 73 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You can get a home land line phone under the lifeline program for $9.75 a month. Most people making minimum wage qualify for it. You dont need a cell phone.http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=22888
    . . . You can't be serious.

We're arguing about paying people a living wage, so that minimum wage employees no longer qualify for government assistance.

Someone brings up cell phones as a luxury people don't need, and it's debated.

You bring up a government assistance program that you can qualify for if your income is low enough.

That's exactly the kind of program we're trying to get people off of, by paying them enough that the government doesn't have to make up the slack.

Yes. That program is a demonstration of the problem. It isn't a defense of your position.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    . . . You can't be serious.

We're arguing about paying people a living wage, so that minimum wage employees no longer qualify for government assistance.

Someone brings up cell phones as a luxury people don't need, and it's debated.

You bring up a government assistance program that you can qualify for if your income is low enough.

That's exactly the kind of program we're trying to get people off of, by paying them enough that the government doesn't have to make up the slack.

Yes. That program is a demonstration of the problem. It isn't a defense of your position.
    You cant see?? This is the greatest part of the argument. Most people who do not want to raise the minimum wage are Conservatives. Most Conservatives believe in small government and HATE freeloaders who are on government programs. A lot people who are sole earner or both people earning a minimum wage, are probably using some assistance of sort from the U.S. government. I love the logic that conservatives have.

Honestly most Liberals should hate the minimum wage and Obama Care. Don't we want more people sucking our government dry?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I see you didn't bother looking at what he linked. Let me show you "Starting at $22.92/month for 24 months"
    Thats the monthly cost that pays for the upgraded phone, not the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Pretty sure out government offers a free basic cell phone service for the poor. It does what it's intended, offers the poor a means of communication for emergency purposes. They get 250 minutes a month.
    Yes and No.

They do provide a cell phone but you must be on some short of goverment assiatance program like Food Stamps.

Providing people with a liveable wage would mean they won't be able to get on said program.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    We're still arguing about something as basic as phones? Does anyone need any more proof that a huge amount of opposition to aid for the poor is just sheer spite?
    At this point, it seems like the same people who oppose "Obamaphones", will promote them when their availability allow for smaller wages. I'm just wondering how our politicians are to avoid buying votes with social programs like lifeline, while at the same time having enough social programs so businesses don't have to pay a higher minimum wage.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Thats the monthly cost that pays for the upgraded phone, not the plan
    .......You are trying way to hard. The phone plan that you can clearly look up on the site is around $50.

But ill bite lets say that it is what you say it is. They can go somewhere else and get it cheaper. Sorry but a Cell Phone and Internet "That u can be on longer then 1hr" is a needed thing and not a luxary.

This isn't even up for debait I don't care what your opinion is. Its 2014 and both is required to get a job. Job holders are wanting to be able to contact you all hrs of the day when needed and they require you to apply online 90% of the time.

Most apps take around 30mins to do so you telling me people are ok with doing 2 a day....

What I think is fucken funny is you want to shutdown goverment programs and yet just posted a person could get a phone from the goverment. ill accept my infraction but your a fucken hypocrite.

Endus and a few others even pointed that out.

Edit: Here is my phone company http://www.mycricket.com/cell-phone-...artphone-plans

I am on the basic smart phone plan that is $50. If you bring in a used phone there is no upfrount month pay so the first month is free. The basic plan you can chose that is $35 is getting removed within the year. You can get a cheap smart phone right now for $30 or apply for there contract that add's $12 to the basic smart phone plan and get a S3.

Orlong I am personally done replying to you because everything you have been posting in this thread is pure bullshit and you proved how much of a Hypocrite u was with ur last post. I would advise no one else to reply to it ether.

ill accept my infraction.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-06-07 at 11:36 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account
    In other countries perhaps prices dont rise too much but you get less for your money. In the US you buy a cheeseburger and fries at a nice restaurant and you get a half pound burger and huge pile of fries. In other countries you get a measly quarter pound burger or less and a small handful of fries. Its kind of a hidden inflation and its starting to become more widespread in the US too Toilet paper rolls are getting narrower, ice cream is no longer sold in half gallons by most brands now. Orange juice is not sold in half gallons anymore. Even canned soup is like 10.5 ounces now instead of 15 oz which screws with recipes. So instead of raising prices, companies just give you less for the same money.
    What?

Traveling extensively, can't say I've seen ANY of this. If anything, portions in the US are getting LARGER. And in other countries the same thing, there's a variety of sizes and prices are significantly higher. It's going to depend on the location, urban or not. In countries where the min wage is significantly higher, I've seen prices probably 10% higher for 2.5x the US minimum wage. So far more people have far better quality of life for a small price hike, which is probably more a result of import tariffs and taxes than cost of production.

In other words, none of what you said is even remotely true.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Providing people with a liveable wage would mean they won't be able to get on said program.
    I agree, i'm talking as of right now though. There are programs in place, so this talk of " well they don't need cell phones " is kind of moot. I would though, question why someone on food stamps would need a nice smart phone will all the bells and whistles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, i'm talking as of right now though. There are programs in place, so this talk of " well they don't need cell phones " is kind of moot. I would though, question why someone on food stamps would need a nice smart phone will all the bells and whistles.
    Because that might be their only luxury on which they spend what little disposable income they have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because that might be their only luxury on which they spend what little disposable income they have?
    Because that beats trying to actually save some money for emergencies?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think rich people got there because of their merit, how is it logical to expect apparently merit-less people to be fiscally responsible when even rich people can't do it?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You mean emergencies that a cell phone could be useful for? :P

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You mean emergencies that a cell phone could be useful for? :P
    I said the " bells and whistles ", at no point did i say they shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone. Reading comprehension, it works when used.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If you think rich people got there because of their merit, how is it logical to expect apparently merit-less people to be fiscally responsible when even rich people can't do it?
    They worked hard! They can do whatever they want now!

/serious now

If I recall, you're some kind of teacher. The attitude of a lot of people, like the one you responded to is essentially "John Galt or get out." Despicable.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Ya there's been this time tested method to avoiding that, its called getting a better job.

And how do you get a better job?

Well one of the ways is ...you don't become the type of person that walks around convinced you DESERVE $25/hr for flipping burgers.

Said it before, saying it again ...THE MINIMUM WAGE IS NOT A LIVING WAGE AND ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!
    There's a real problem when minimum wage recipients have a low enough income to qualify for public assistance. That burger at McD's and cheap crap at Walmart is subsidized by tax dollars and that's not right. I'd love to see the government charge back the cost to those businesses because I'm sick of it coming out of my taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    At this point, it seems like the same people who oppose "Obamaphones", will promote them when their availability allow for smaller wages. I'm just wondering how our politicians are to avoid buying votes with social programs like lifeline, while at the same time having enough social programs so businesses don't have to pay a higher minimum wage.
    Yeah, it's pretty striking - "hey poors, stop having iPhones, just have Obamaphones. Just make sure you feel the appropriate level of guilt, you fucking worms. Now get me my sandwich!".

I don't know a better way to describe this than asshole thinking.

I said the " bells and whistles ", at no point did i say they shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone. Reading comprehension, it works when used.
    What are these bells and whistles.....

Last checked smart phone plans always come with data caps and what not. Basic Cell Phone plans "Old style flip phones" that are like $30-$35 a month are getting removed dam near everywhere.

My plan is basic if u look at the link I showed u and it still provides everything.

TIf I recall, you're some kind of teacher. The attitude of a lot of people, like the one you responded to is essentially "John Galt or get out." Despicable.
    I know, asking people to be fiscally responsible with their money, HOW DARE I!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    They worked hard! They can do whatever they want now!

/serious now

If I recall, you're some kind of teacher. The attitude of a lot of people, like the one you responded to is essentially "John Galt or get out." Despicable.
    I stopped being a teacher and upgraded to a cushy position in the DoE.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, asking people to be fiscally responsible with their money, HOW DARE I!!!!!
    Why don't you ask rich people to be more fiscally responsible considering their fiscal irresponsibility can cause market crashes.

I would though, question why someone on food stamps would need a nice smart phone will all the bells and whistles.
    - The cost is negligible
    - They provide internet access, which can allow someone to use it for email and opt to save on cable
    - The intended policy isn't, "if you're on SNAP, you have to be miserable or else you don't really deserve it"