Page 74 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I said the " bells and whistles ", at no point did i say they shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone. Reading comprehension, it works when used.
    Email? Important.

Text? Important.

Other features? Potentially important.

Angry Birds? Nope.

Why the fuck are we still debating phones? I need my employees to have them. blip bleep bloop, txt from Jim: "We're short handed tonight, can't get anyone to come in, help." etc. etc. etc. etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty striking - "hey poors, stop having iPhones, just have Obamaphones. Just make sure you feel the appropriate level of guilt, you fucking worms. Now get me my sandwich!".

I don't know a better way to describe this than asshole thinking.
    Again, if someone is struggling to make ends meet. Wouldn't it be better for them to save money where they can? They can have whatever the hell they want, i just would assume people with much hard ships would try to save where they can. It's not " asshole thinking ", it's called " hey we don't have a lot of money, we should try to save where we can "

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonic View Post
    Hi strawman, I see you and Disactic are very well aquinted
    That wasn't a strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why don't you ask rich people to be more fiscally responsible considering their fiscal irresponsibility can cause market crashes.
    Who says i don't?

I stopped being a teacher and upgraded to a cushy position in the DoE.
    There aren't many people who succeed as autodidacts. Just don't forget how important your role is. I kind of like having educated people around me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, if someone is struggling to make ends meet. Wouldn't it be better for them to save money where they can? They can have whatever the hell they want, i just would assume people with much hard ships would try to save where they can. It's not " asshole thinking ", it's called " hey we don't have a lot of money, we should try to save where we can "
    Again, why does being on public assistance mean you should be miserable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Who says i don't?
    Ask nicely, or regulate... hmmmm...

Again, why does being on public assistance mean you should be miserable?
    Again, why does saving money mean you have to be miserable? Pretty sure people were able to do things that made them happy before the whole internet craze happened. No?

If I were struggling to make ends meet, I would still want email access, as it's essential for securing all sorts of better employment opportunities, talking to landlords, etc. Having it on the fly is even better. As such, I would go with a smartphone and save money by not having cable at home. A smartphone is cheaper than cable in most cases.

Its already been said and proven many times.

Cell Phones and Internet is a MUST HAVE thing This is 2014 not 1980. Things like jobs require both to have and to get.

Still waiting for the details on these "Bells and whistles" you talked about.

You do know those working for minimum wage and on goverment assitance can only save so much right? It isn't has simple as your trying to make it sound.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-06-08 at 12:22 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

not to make sure someone has a phone they can tweet from.
    Why on earth this should be a priority for anyone is beyond me. Oh no someone has a slightly better than the most baseline phone available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not miserable, but definately not comfortable.

Help should be provided so someone isn't out on the street and hungry, not to make sure someone has a phone they can tweet from.
    We've reached a point in our technological and social development where bare subsistence living should not be the norm, even for the lowest echelon.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Ask nicely, or regulate... hmmmm...
    I don't patron Wal-mart because of how they treat their employees. I do what i can, and if it means not giving a business my money, or a politician my vote, then i will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, why does saving money mean you have to be miserable? Pretty sure people were able to do things that made them happy before the whole internet craze happened. No?
    Because saving money means you're not using your disposable income for entertainment by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If I were struggling to make ends meet, I would still want email access, as it's essential for securing all sorts of better employment opportunities, talking to landlords, etc. Having it on the fly is even better. As such, I would go with a smartphone and save money by not having cable at home. A smartphone is cheaper than cable in most cases.
    I have to concur. If I had to drop services, my cable TV package and home internet would be the first to go and I'd use my phone to replace necessary things.

I have no fucking idea why this is even an issue with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its already been said and proven many times.

Cell Phones and Internet is a MUST HAVE thing This is 2014 not 1980. Things like jobs require both to have and to get.

Still waiting for the details on these "Bells and whistles you talked about.

You do know those working for minimum wage and on goverment assitance can only save so much right? It isn't has simple as your trying to make it sound.
    The internet is not the " must have thing ", see here in America, people can walk into a business, and ask for an application, and the tech savy stores have kiosks where people can use a computer to fill out an online application. OOHHHH AHHHHH.

We've reached a point in our technological and social development where bare subsistence living should not be the norm, even for the lowest echelon.
    Well, how am I going to be a spiteful dick if I can't even suggest that people should be uncomfortable if they don't have employment that I approve sufficiently of?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where on earth do you live where a 650sqft 1bd 1bt apartment is 1200/mo? If you say some skyscraper in new york, your situation does not apply to 99% of the world.
    Er. That $1200/mo for a 1bd would be cheap most anywhere in New York City, and I don't mean directly in Manhattan. "Skyscraper in New York" is in the nosebleed rent area, usually 3500/mo and up to supply the proper perspective. Cost of living is going to vary by area and minimum wage should reflect this.

Because saving money means you're not using your disposable income for entertainment by definition.
    So there are no forms of entertainment that is free? Weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    So there are no forms of entertainment that is free? Weird.
    Anything that is fun costs at least eight dollars.