Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Lightbulb WoD: Potential to Surpass WotLK?

Everything WoD and WotLK have in common:

Iconic main Warcraft character? Check.
    A world that we've always wished we could've visited (before it got nuked by magic)? Check.
    Some actually new gameplay features? Check.
    A redesigned world and rewritten story formula? Check.
    New, innovative PvP map? Check.
    A new raid design that encourages new players and small groups to raid? Check.
    Tons of skeptics doubting whether or not the expac will be any good? Check.

Were all set to go!

Deleted
    If nostalgia has a say in the matter, not a chance

15+ Year Old Account
    Subjective bias: Wrath wasn't the greatest expansion. That said, every expansion - even Cata - had its positives. Warlords is truly looking great so far and definitely has many people excited for what it brings, changes and new content inclusive.

For the record, TBC was my favourite expac, despite its shortcomings. Healing in heroics was one of the most fun and challenging things I've done, and running premade EotS groups on my rogue was a thrill. Not to mention the introduction of flying
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really really really hope WoD surpass WotLK.... If WoD cannot surpass the most horrible expansion to date, the game is truely in a bad shape..

From what I see, it will be more or less on par with Cata, which is a good sign.. Don't think it will be better than Cata, but being better than WotLK and MoP is good enough for me..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

It's hard to say right now. I mean with what's coming with WoD, it should outplay WotLK. However, so many people love the snowy lands.

WOTLK's balance (both PvE and PvP) was so out-of-whack, not to mention unstable/"wtf" raid tiers and the beginning of the whole "content for everyone! yaaaay!" concept, where anything you do in PvE is invalidated a few months later through rotating currencies. I saw WOTLK as a fun Xpack but all in all it was a step forward and a step backward at the same time.

BC is still the Xpack to beat for me. Considering WoW will never really go back to being an RPG (in the traditional sense), I don't think any new Xpack will "surpass" older ones. Can they shift the design philosophy back to a better direction though? Yes, I do believe they can and I like what I see so far.

No matter how good WoD is, you can never win rose tinted nostalgia glass.

Also how good the expansion is is very very subjective thing, so judgement will be different from people to people.

Personally? I think WoD will be best expansion ever (although it is only alpha, so very wild guess from what is revealed. Subject to change depends on how much they screw up).
    Last edited by PrairieChicken; 2014-06-09 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I really really really hope WoD surpass WotLK.... If WoD cannot surpass the most horrible expansion to date, the game is truely in a bad shape..

From what I see, it will be more or less on par with Cata, which is a good sign.. Don't think it will be better than Cata, but being better than WotLK and MoP is good enough for me..
    Obvious troll is obvious.

I kid I kid. I don't agree tho. Wotlk > Cata imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anything down the line will surpass Wrath of the Lich King at all, no matter what they try. Wrath was literally the epitome of World of Warcraft, and it was mostly because they had the story fleshed out from Warcraft 3, so in a sense, Warcraft 3 didn't end until that expansion ended.

There's literal meaning to: "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him."

Wrath? It seems that is more of BC that you are trying to compare WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Everything WoD and WotLK have in common:

Iconic main Warcraft character? Check.
    A world that we've always wished we could've visited (before it got nuked by magic)? Check.
    Some actually new gameplay features? Check.
    A redesigned world and rewritten story formula? Check.
    New, innovative PvP map? Check.
    A new raid design that encourages new players and small groups to raid? Check.
    Tons of skeptics doubting whether or not the expac will be any good? Check.

Were all set to go!
    What's "some actually new gameplay features"? I know wotlk had vehicles, which for some reason everyone hated and refused to do instaces like Oculus because they wouldn't read what the new buttons do.

And I don't know about you but "wished we could've visited", northrend never particularly came to mind. I mean it turned out really neat, but I was kind of wanting Emerald Dream or another planet like Outland...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    OP is hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neemo View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious.

I kid I kid. I don't agree tho. Wotlk > Cata imo.
    No, I'm not trolling.. Th only good thing in WotLK was Ulduar.. The rest sucked bigime..
    Cata had class balance, excellent 5mans, 3 fantastic raid tiers (although DS was a tad long), much less mats-grinding, raid cauldrons, legendaries that was possible to work on for more than one at a time, revamped world (especially STV and Barrens, which was much in need of radical changes), flying from day 1, alt friendly.

Not counting Ulduar (since I already mentioned that) just name ONE THING where WotLK was better than Cata..
    I can make it easy for you, to remove a lot of junk from the list:
    - T7, T9 and T10 were horrible
    - 5mans were horribly easy and boring
    - Mats was a grind fest that surpassed Vanilla. Grinding for pots, flasks and food took longer time than the actual raid.
    - Professions were unbalanced
    - Classes were unbalanced
    - No flying until level 77 (on a loaner mount, that only flew at 160 speed). 80 to use real mounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    There's literal meaning to: "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him."
    Because it was a BAAAAAAAAD expansion..
    WotLK rode on Vanilla and TBC's success wave, but bad expansion turned the curve and had a huge decline, before it was over.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    but bad expansion turned the curve and had a huge decline, before it was over.
    Huge decline?

Source?

I don't think WotLK was the best expansion either.

But hyperbole is not required!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Huge decline?

Source?

I don't think WotLK was the best expansion either.

But hyperbole is not required!
    Many player-based polls show a clear indication that Wrath was everybody's favourite expansion. Why? I don't know, everybody has different reasons. For me, it was the point at which game mechanics was met with nostalgia, so it fixed how "broken" Classic and TBC were, but kept that nostalgic feel.

If you also look at subscription numbers, it shows a sine wave, with Wrath at its peak. It rose from low numbers in early Classic, until it peaked sometime during Wrath, and started declining in Cataclysm, until it stopped in Mists, and declined further.

It would be nice, but i doubt it. Wrath of the lich king was -story wise- a straight up sequel/conclusion to warcraft 3. Warlords of dreanor on the other hand has been dubbed "retcons of dreanor" for a reason. Time travel/paralell timelines in fantasy is usually the signifier of the writer being completely dry on ideas for the narrative so they effectively throw it out the window to have a little jaunt into headcanon and fan fic territory. Wrath fleshed out a lot of the Titans, had some of the most gorgeous quest zones and audio tracks in the game and the story -even with its flaws- was genuinely interesting when it all came together into the "arthas has been grooming you to be his next big death knight champion" plotline.
    Walords paralell timeline feels too loose and disconnected from Azeroths main canon. As devs im sure they see it as a weight off their back to be able to go crazy and come up with whatever they want. But personally? it just makes me feel like its an escape from the corners they wrote themselves into with warcraft and this is a bandaid for a problem they dont have a solution to. They just dont know what they can fit into WoW without 'finishing' WoW.
    and you dont put the dairy cow out to pasture while theres still milking to be done, y'know?

wrath for all its flaws was a very important point in warcraft. warlords feels like a random attempt to solve the problem of "we only have azshara, 2 old gods and the legion left to go". Theres only so many "ancient evils awakening" you can put out before people get tired and WoW HAS been losing like 4000 players a week on average for a long time now. So i can't blame them for trying something drastic to change that. Which could be amazing.

I just dont think, as a longtime warcraft fan, its going to be looked back on as anything but "the filler expansion".

Wrath was awesome, it had an iconic villain who people knew about, the atmosphere was quite chilling (In more ways than one), it was the final nail in the "CC or GTFO!"-coffin as well as making a 5-man instance something you could do relatively quickly (Vanilla 5-mans and BC heroics could take bloody HOURS, and you could forget about getting in there as CC-less DPS-spec), the currency-system, while clunky near the end with all the different points, allowed gear-progression without having to raid (PuG-raids being effectively walled-off by the "in-crowd" with silly GearScore requirements)

Wrath made a lot of changes for the better, and the WoD-changes (As we know them today) leave me sceptical TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabos View Post
    If nostalgia has a say in the matter, not a chance
    LOL! So true...

But then again it really does look like its going to be a great xpac. I had a lot of fun with the PvE side of things in Mists, if WoD is going to be half as good as MoP then Im really excited!
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

15+ Year Old Account
    Scourge themed expansion is more interesting than a Orc themed expansion in my opinion. Especially if the other has the Lich King. We've seen enough orcs in MOP.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!