Thread: halo Collection

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

halo Collection

When the franchise shepherds at 343 Industries say they're collecting all of Master Chief's Halo games to preserve his many accomplishments on Xbox One this year, it's tempting to dress the talk down to something practical. 343's general manager, Bonnie Ross, says "it is about his past, it is about his future," but what you hear is, "Okay, Halo 5 won't be out this year, and there has to be a Halo game for Xbox One like, yesterday, so how about these old ones?"

Halo: The Master Chief Collection inspires cynical thoughts at first, but from what I've seen it's one of the most comprehensive and smartly organized efforts in the realm of remakes. Here's everything you get in the package, and it all runs at 1080p, 60 frames per second, and approximately 17 covenant deaths per minute:

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

The first Halo has already been remade once in the Anniversary edition, which updated the Xbox's iconic first-person shooter as soon as it turned a creaky ten years old. Developed by Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary kept the original engine running underneath, but brought in a modern look at the press of a button. The game also featured updated sound effects, a re-recorded soundtrack, enhanced cutscenes, and was faithful enough to still include "The Library," a level that people either love for being a Doom-like killing spree, or lament for being a slog through generic sci-fi corridors.

Halo 2: Anniversary

Halo 2 gets a little extra love in The Master Chief Collection, becoming an Anniversary edition with the help of Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity. As before, players can switch between the old game and the redone artwork and sound of the updated version (in a much faster transition). Halo 2's cutscenes have been completely redone by visual effects outfit Blur Studio – if you've been impressed by an elaborate CG trailer for a buzz-craving game, it was likely made by Blur.

Halo 2's multiplayer will appear "verbatim," Microsoft says, dual-wielding and obscure glitches intact. There will also be six completely remade maps, including fan-favorite "Ascension," but that's just a sliver of The Master Chief Collection's multiplayer suite.

Halo 3

The first time Master Chief's journey ended, it was in Halo 3. The first Xbox 360 game in the series isn't getting the same kind of overhaul as the original Xbox games, but it's being visually spruced up to better suit the collection's 1080p and 60 frames-per-second output. Halo 3 also marked the introduction of four-player co-op, which Microsoft expects to keep for The Master Chief Collection. Remember: the mantra is reproducing each game engine "verbatim."

Halo 4

Halo 4 represented the first major step for the franchise after Bungie's goodbye game, Halo: Reach. 343's game is getting a visual update, though being the most recent Halo game (2012) means it was sharp looking to begin with. Halo 4's multiplayer suite and the Spartan Ops co-op campaign will also be available in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Halo 5 Beta

We don't really know much about Halo 5 yet, though fans with The Master Chief Collection will be the first to play it in a multiplayer beta, scheduled to start in December 2014.

Multiplayer and the interface that unlocks everything

Halo: The Master Chief Collection includes every multiplayer map and mode ever released for Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 – making for over 100 maps. There's still delineation between games, however, as each map will run on the engine it was intended for. Halo 2 maps should still play and feel as they did in Halo 2, for example, and not like old maps running with the new rules of, say, Halo 4.

Rather than fiddling with different games and engines, The Master Chief Collection's overarching interface automatically loads up the right engine and game, depending on what bit of content you've selected. For this to make sense, 343 has smartly dispensed with the need to unlock or progress through the collection. Every campaign level and multiplayer map, across all four games, is available from the start.

Though you can play each Halo in linear fashion, 343 is including a helping of playlists that span different games. You can, for instance, play a string of back-to-back levels hinged on Halo's beastly vehicle, the Warthog, or play a set of the last four levels from each game.

As for multiplayer, you're able to set up custom online games composed of several maps and modes, no matter which game they belong to. When they load up, they'll be in the associated game's engine automatically.

Halo: Nightfall and the connection to Halo 5

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will grant owners access to a weekly live-action series called Halo: Nightfall. Produced by Ridley Scott, the show will examine a few characters that will play a larger role in Halo 5: Guardians. The collection itself will be further tied to Halo 5: Guardians with "book-end" cinematics, also done by Blur Studio.

The price of a Master Chief buffet

Master Chief's grand collection, his 4000-Gamerscore journey, will only be available in one package when it launches on November 11, 2014 for $59.99.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/09/ev...ef-collection/

And the thing that brought a tear to my eye

Halo 2's multiplayer will appear "verbatim," Microsoft says, dual-wielding and obscure glitches intact. There will also be six completely remade maps, including fan-favorite "Ascension," but that's just a sliver of The Master Chief Collection's multiplayer suite.
    Looks like we know the best mutliplayer game of thise year.

Is it coming to PC? I refuse to buy an XB1. If not, oh well. Continue to be stubborn Micro$oft, I'll be enjoying my PS4.

The glitches made multiplayer amazing, like the nonsense of "Crouch against this wall, then jump on this tiny part of a edge and you go flying into the air", and getting rammed by the boost vehicles could send you flying

My social life is over. Again. I really hope that isn't BS its the one thing I've wanted from Microsoft/Halo for damn near 7 years now.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-06-09 at 08:19 PM.

I'm sold. This will make me buy an Xbox One. Imma gonna BXR ALL THE THINGS!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    Is it coming to PC? I refuse to buy an XB1. If not, oh well. Continue to be stubborn Micro$oft, I'll be enjoying my PS4.
    Not really stubborn, they just had really low sales when they made the first 2 for PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish I had the money to throw at this . The Halo series is the only shooter where I actually like (or even care about) the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

If it's not coming to PC I'm not buying it, unfortunately. Not buying an XBOne just for this, Micro$oft can go screw themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Funniest thing about this for me is the people who say they'll buy an Xbox One for this "exclusive". Sorry, but this isn't compelling enough to get me to buy an XBone even without the stupid Kinect.
    You do realize that online multiplayer no longer exists for Halo 2? It's not like I can just break out my old copy of Halo 2 on my original Xbox and play some games. Bringing back the height of the series multiplayer is actually kind of a big deal for people that care about it.

Also, quick note, they just said that super bounces may not work correctly, just because they're converting the game to HD, so the pixels in the maps have moved very slightly to account for different screen sizes, and since some of those jumps are pixel specific, they may not work. BXR is confirmed to work though.

Only real concern I have for the game right now is the matchmaking. I know the gameplay itself will all be original Halo 2, but they haven't really talked about the matchmaking. Specifically, I really don't want the whole voting on maps and gametypes to be put into the game. Just let me queue into random games with playlists that don't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Funniest thing about this for me is the people who say they'll buy an Xbox One for this "exclusive". Sorry, but this isn't compelling enough to get me to buy an XBone even without the stupid Kinect.
    Maybe to you but for many people a redone Halo 2 is nearly priceless. In this day and age of CoD clones and shitty Halo games a lot of the older FPS guys on console remember the good days and that Halo 2 is the game that spawned all of this but none of them ever lived up to H2. Maybe you could say CoD 4: Modern Warfare as a stand alone separated from the rest of its series was similar but not quite. Halo 2 changed the face of online console gaming from the gameplay to the menus and UI the Xbone and PS4 and many of their titles and everything inbetween have been trying to emulate one aspect or another since 2004. The game was a monster that ruled the online multiplayer stats pages even after the xbox 360 was released up until CoD4 and Halo 3 came along to finally pull enough of the community away.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-06-09 at 09:35 PM.

The only thing that could get me to purchase Halo is if it at least has mouse and keyboard support, or a PC release.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well ITS NOT coming to PC so stop crying about it. Fuck man, all you people do is whine. Guess what, its for Xbox One only, DEAL WITH IT...
    OT: This is looking great for the Xbox, can't wait to buy it in November! It will be a glorious day! Especially the UNTOUCHED Multiplayer! FUCK YEAH!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Well ITS NOT coming to PC so stop crying about it. Fuck man, all you people do is whine. Guess what, its for Xbox One only, DEAL WITH IT...
    OT: This is looking great for the Xbox, can't wait to buy it in November! It will be a glorious day! Especially the UNTOUCHED Multiplayer! FUCK YEAH!!!
    If we complain enough eventually we might actually get them to do something about it. Kind of like how they changed their stance on much of the Xbone features after massive backlash over it.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2014-06-09 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    If we complain enough eventually we might actually get them to do something about it. Kind of like how they changed their stance on much of the Xbone features after massive backlash over it.
    Well you don't always get what you want. Halo has always been an Xbox Exclusive. It'd be stupid to put on PC. They listened to their fans once and it didn't sell to well. I would of bought an Xbox even with the DRM changes, it would basically be steam 2.0 and who doesn't have fucking internet these days? Everything they planned on doing was advancing things a little further into the future but no, crying little bitches couldn't accept change. Point is, Halo isn't going to another system. Its an exclusive for a reason.

Well you don't always get what you want. Halo has always been an Xbox Exclusive. It'd be stupid to put on PC. They listened to their fans once and it didn't sell to well. I would of bought an Xbox even with the DRM changes, it would basically be steam 2.0 and who doesn't have fucking internet these days? Everything they planned on doing was advancing things a little further into the future but no, crying little bitches couldn't accept change. Point is, Halo isn't going to another system. Its an exclusive for a reason.
    Your attitude is a blight on the industry.

More (or less) importantly, am I the only one unimpressed by them reaching back to past successes for solid multiplayer, rather than trying to improve and innovate?

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post

More (or less) importantly, am I the only one unimpressed by them reaching back to past successes for solid multiplayer, rather than trying to improve and innovate?
    When you try to improve and innovate people just end up bitching about how it isn't as good as the previous.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post

Blight? No, just pointing out that this game is exclusive to the Xbox One. Why is it so hard for people to get it into their thick skull that it isn't coming to another system?

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    When you try to improve and innovate people just end up bitching about how it isn't as good as the previous.
    So we should all just do things we know work, rather than trying to move forward? I'm not buying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, Microsoft tried to do this and look what happened.

Deleted
    Because keeping your mouth shut is how you get things done. You won't get far in life with that attitude.

If it's not coming to PC I won't be buying it. Cba buying a console for 1 franchise. Halo 1 is still my fav FPS though.

- - - Updated - - -

Blight? No, just pointing out that this game is exclusive to the Xbox One. Why is it so hard for people to get it into their thick skull that it isn't coming to another system?
    People were asking, you are the person acting like an asshat. There is no reason a new release couldn't be different.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres nothing wrong with doing something new, there is when you revamp the entire system rather then tweak something that works.