Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Man, Thrall can't win. Kick some ass and he's Green Jesus, get beaten by Garrosh and he's a total wuss.
    I'm pretty sure it's the context and execution that gets most people, and not simply the act.

Tirion got encased in a block of ice to die. He managed to bust through it when the Lich King killed the entire group attacking him and started to raise them as undead. The entire expansion, the Lich King was literally just toying with us to see who was worthy of being his servants, and when the time came he could just one-shot an entire zone. Tirion used the power of the Light to combat Frostmourne, resurrect us, and end Arthas. While a bit of a deus ex machina, Tirion hadn't been built up an entire expansion prior as some sort of savior in the way that Thrall was through Cata, and he wasn't picking up the pieces of a beaten warrior but throwing out the biggest Hail Mary possible.

Cataclysm was basically World of Warcraft: The Thrall Years where we saw everything from him dealing with not being Warchief anymore to being torn apart in the elemental planes to practically becoming a Dragon Aspect and blowing a hole through Deathwing. I don't think anyone can argue that it was a very Thrall-centric expansion, or at least Horde-sided. And understandably, not everyone enjoyed seeing one character get so much face time after already receiving a good amount of treatment previously. However, to then shift gears entirely and have him take a hit from Garrosh, lie in wait until we beat him, and then sneak in for the KB was not just anticlimactic but uncharacteristic of him. It's clear that it was put in just to have a reason for Thrall to be there, when there are a ton of different ways something like that could've been handled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Well if it was Go'del it would probably work, but Orcish is build to be a very rough unrefined language and doesn't really have any diphthongs or vowel shifts, which you get with o and e next to eachother.
    How about God'el ? Our merciful lord and savior in heavens, beloved by all.

Isn't there a jug of hatorade you should be drinking somewhere?
    Haha wow, you really said that huh?

Deleted
    Durak the futher warchief, lok'tar ogar.

But anyways Orcs are not russians they are Orcs and have there own language.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, compared to some things I have been told, they should just name it how they think fits their game and not care about translations. It isn't their fault that other countries translate it differently. But then again, there is an old belief within writing, you never translate the actual names. So Durak is Durak, Thrall is Thrall (And not servant/slave)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Definitely, I mean look at words meaning one thing in USA and meaning another in the UK. Why do people always do this. So what if it means something totally different in one language to another. Biggest thing, this is AZEROTH, not earth. Plain and simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Durotan, Drakka, Go'el, Aggra, Durak. Hmm all of those sound pretty Orcish to me...
    No, it clearly sounds like a mantid name. Tayak, Meljarak....

Quote Originally Posted by sractarius View Post
    I know this name is all Orcish and stuff, but in my native language, Russian, this name means "fool". It's hard to take Thrall's parenthood seriously when his son is a fool.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/дурак
    Considering that it's already been pointed out that Go'el means "redeemer" and Thrall is that for the ocs, isn't anyone else thinking the obvious thing here in that Blizzard knows full well what the name means and that it's foreshadowing for his character?

I hated Go'el ever since it was used, Thrall was the name he was crowned and it just feels right, even though it means slave it means a lot to the person he is. There's an ironic power in the name Thrall, Son of Durotan, Warchief of the Horde, but Go'el feels like you're taking away the mantle of power that he once embodied.

I much prefer Durak since it feels more powerful, aggressive, Go'el feels literally like some kinda prophet and makes him sound weak and feel weak.

Aggra as a character mind you was the biggest screw up blizzard made since Med'an sue.

I wont allow people to defend Aggra as some significant character, the reality was, blizzard chickened out of what was pretty much canon (prior to her introduction) the Jaina and Thrall romance that was blatantly implied over and over.

They decided Jaina needed char development, for the wrong reasons, it turns out she prefers dragonshlong over Orc, but the fact is it wasn't that which aggravated me about Aggra herself, but the fact that Aggra adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the story.

You could honestly take Aggra out of the plot all together, have her killed off and she would never mean a damn thing to anyone, her entire purpose is to be Thralls orc booty call because they didn't want him to fall in love with a human despite the fact that Jaina's romance for him actually worked A LOT more believably than Aggra's which felt forced.

Jaina's romance is a mess too but I am still not trying to make a point of the Romance, but the character herself. Her entire presence since being introduced in Cataclysm is a flat out "insult" to good development because she serves NO purpose what so ever in the story other than to be, the woman.

She isn't a strong character, the only moment she was ever significant was 4.2 when she marries Thrall which was not only abrupt but completely pointless since there was no real character development leading into that what so ever.

Again, she was there to be Orc booty, that's "it" and because of that I honestly hope Aggra dies screaming horribly by Garrosh hand, or something brutal because I really despise that character with a burning passion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Again, she was there to be Orc booty, that's "it" and because of that I honestly hope Aggra dies screaming horribly by Garrosh hand, or something brutal because I really despise that character with a burning passion.
    I always thought she was Thrall's excuse to drop out of a raid?

"I gotta go, I have wife Aggra" *drops group*

Son of Go'el... kneel before ZOD!
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    After his last encounter with Garrosh in-game it's pretty hard to look at Thrall as a hero anymore, or anything but a has been really.
    i think he makes up for it in WoD.. no more Go'el being bi**hed out by garrosh

EPIC TORNADDOZZZ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    I always thought she was Thrall's excuse to drop out of a raid?

"I gotta go, I have wife Aggra" *drops group*

I should have heard this before but i havnt.. thumbs up to you :P

+1

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    True, but you don't get your ass kicked then act tough when others do what you couldn't.

Yep. Didn't like that aspect of either fight. At least Fordring fought some.... Thrall just got tossed aside like a wet rag.
    Dude. Seriously. GAMEPLAY AND STORY SEGREGATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Cataclysm was basically World of Warcraft: The Thrall Years where we saw everything from him dealing with not being Warchief anymore to being torn apart in the elemental planes to practically becoming a Dragon Aspect and blowing a hole through Deathwing. I don't think anyone can argue that it was a very Thrall-centric expansion, or at least Horde-sided. And understandably, not everyone enjoyed seeing one character get so much face time after already receiving a good amount of treatment previously. However, to then shift gears entirely and have him take a hit from Garrosh, lie in wait until we beat him, and then sneak in for the KB was not just anticlimactic but uncharacteristic of him. It's clear that it was put in just to have a reason for Thrall to be there, when there are a ton of different ways something like that could've been handled.
    I reckon if you added up all the quests involving Thrall in Cataclysm you'd still wind up well under the number involving Tirion Fordring, considering he was leading most of the events in Icecrown. He introduces us to Deepholm, and there was an optional quest chain in Hyjal where you can explore his emotions and character, then turns up in DS. That's it.

Oh, unless you count a cameo at the end of the Goblin zone where he's rescued and inducts them into the Horde.

What's so wrong with exploring Thrall's character in depth anyway? He's a major lore character. He was a driving force in Warcraft III, before we even knew who Varian or most of the other major WoW lore characters were.

And the KB? The Dragon Soul was the only thing that could defeat Deathwing, even the combined power of the other aspects alone wouldn't have been enough, that's the whole reason why DS happened and the dragonflights didn't just sort him out themselves. They imbued their power into the soul, and Thrall wielded it because the dragons explicitly CAN'T wield the dragon soul. That is all.

In any case it's kind of stupid to have major lore characters die at the hands of Shamwow the tauren shaman and his friends the nameless adventurers. Of course lore characters should be there for the death of other lore characters. It requires suspension of disbelief that we're even there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbert the View Post
    Haha wow, you really said that huh?
    I sure did!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, since when is thrall's unborn child named?

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know, compared to some things I have been told, they should just name it how they think fits their game and not care about translations. It isn't their fault that other countries translate it differently. But then again, there is an old belief within writing, you never translate the actual names. So Durak is Durak, Thrall is Thrall (And not servant/slave)
    Thrall meaning servent slave was intentional. He was raised as a slave.
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2014-06-12 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    The name Durak was first revealed in the Ultimate Visual Guide.
    http://wowpedia.org/Durak

Apparently also referenced in War Crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....When the hell was he added to the game as well. How the heck did I miss all this?

....When the hell was he added to the game as well. How the heck did I miss all this?
    I think from memory it was around about MoP, they put him in Durotar in the Orc starting zone. With no fanfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think from memory it was around about MoP, they put him in Durotar in the Orc starting zone. With no fanfare.
    I was expecting a Lion King moment and maybe an entire content patch about it. Have some quests about changing his diaper, gathering food, smashing it to mush, killing waves of dingos, etc.

10+ Year Old Account

Thrall meaning servent slave was intentional. He was raised as a slave.
    I know but you don't see it being said differently than Thrall. That is what I ment. You don't/shouldn't translate names.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I wouldn't be surprised if that name ends up being heavily appropriate when he's an adult in a few expansions.