Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Kinda confused about the WoD pet families.

I know WoD is in early alpha and anything is subject to change, and i am not a fan of bitching/moaning, but this really disappointed me on a "hunter-fan" level;
    This is the latest blizz quote about new pet families:

"Update: Rylaks now tameable (exotic). Hook wasps have joined the wasp family. Still no unicorns."
    "Iron Skyreaver is a Rylak."

As far as i recall from the previous blizz posts, the Rylak will be a separate pet family from all others (exotic).
    At first i thought Rylak was one of those big pterodactyl looking things from MoP that was quite wanted amongst hunters.

However a Rylan (exotic, and same as the Iron Skyreaver) is actually a chimera... an exotic pet family we already have.
    Aside from the armor on that "Iron Skyreaver", it is an identical chimera - and for all we know, the WoD Rylaks might not have any armor on them.

Of course it has the updated WoD model instead of the vanilla chimera model, but by all of it's body features it looks completely identical to the "furry" chimera mobs found since vanilla.
    Quite possibly they will reuse the Iron Skyreaver model/animations for the vanilla chimera, since they are the exact same creature, so we end up with 2 of pretty much identical pets...

Not to mention that, near the release of the skyreaver mount, it was actually called "Iron Chimera" mount by blizzard and was renamed very shortly before release:

So, regardless of pet armor, are we really getting a new pet family called Rylak that is actually identical to chimeras(both exotic)?
    Very lame that, so far, it seems we are getting only 1 new pet family that is an exact duplicate of the chimeras...
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2014-06-06 at 12:17 PM.

WHat's the problem? They are not "exactly duplicates" because they have a new cool model with its own unique animations. It's like complaining that dogs and wolves are separate families.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    WHat's the problem? They are not "exactly duplicates" because they have a new cool model with its own unique animations. It's like complaining that dogs and wolves are separate families.
    We have not yet seen the (vanilla) chimera reworked into WoD.

Quite possibly they will reuse the Iron Skyreaver model/animations for the vanilla chimera
    , since they are the exact same creature.
    So we end up with 2 of pretty much identical pets...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    We have not yet seen the (vanilla) chimera reworked into WoD.

Quite possibly they will reuse the Iron Skyreaver model/animations for the vanilla chimera
    , since they are the exact same creature.
    So we end up with 2 of pretty much identical pets...
    What reason do you have for thinking they will re-work the vanilla chimera? Blizzard has never done that before. E.g. MoP has a brand new tiger model, but we still have the old, blocky vanilla cats. They weren't updated.

Still, I do think it's odd that the new wasps are in with the old wasps, but the new chimeras are being split off. If we're going to have a new exotic family, gimme Hippogryphs or Skyscreamers.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    What reason do you have for thinking they will re-work the vanilla chimera? Blizzard has never done that before. E.g. MoP has a brand new tiger model, but we still have the old, blocky vanilla cats. They weren't updated.
    Still, I do think it's odd that the new wasps are in with the old wasps, but the new chimeras are being split off. If we're going to have a new exotic family, gimme Hippogryphs or Skyscreamers.
    You are right on the tiger part, even though i think that the new tigers are not the same "species" of tigers as the blocky ones (some have big paws or heads, some are sleek).
    Personally the iron chimera looks "identical" to the furry vanilla chimera (in terms of features, not quality), but aside from guessing i don't have any evidence.

But honestly the appearance is not what troubles me the most.
    Every expansion hunters get some cute/interesting/fierce/amazing new pet families.

In WoD we are allowed to tame hydras that have been in game since vanilla, we get a new "hook" wasp that belongs to the already existing wasp family - and we get a "BRAND NEW" chimera family that is pretty much a duplicate of the vanilla chimera family, right down to the exotic tag.

Just feels horribly disappointing, especially when a ton of AWESOME pets can be made tame-able that is already in the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    So is the new wolf models replacing all the wolf models including the worgs, or just the vanilla wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by Malakath View Post
    So is the new wolf models replacing all the wolf models including the worgs, or just the vanilla wolf?
    Dunno really, depends on is it the same "type" of wolf.

Either way makes no sense to keep models from year 2004. when you got a brand new model for exactly the same creature from 2014/15...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Either way makes no sense to keep models from year 2004. when you got a brand new model for exactly the same creature from 2014/15...
    Of course it does. Not everyone likes the new models, and some people would be quite unhappy if their trusty old pet/mount they'd had since Vanilla was suddenly changed on them.

Deleted
    Honestly, while Rylaks aren't technically Chimaeras, I'm still kind of disappointed that they'd give us a new pet family that looks so much like one we already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting for them to let me tame the beavers they put into MoP........

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    It's like complaining that dogs and wolves are separate families.
    This guy summed it up. Chimeras and Rylaks are different families. Where is the confusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

Chimera don't have ground animations, and Rylaks do.

Is there a part of the TOS that says Blizzard owes hunters a certain number of new animals each expansion that I missed?

Idc either way. I would have preferred dinosaurs but that's just me.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure at last checking Blizzard added 3 other Tamable pet families ASWELL as the Rylaks.

Hydra and 2 others I can't remember the names of.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I'm pretty sure at last checking Blizzard added 3 other Tamable pet families ASWELL as the Rylaks.

Hydra and 2 others I can't remember the names of.
    It's pretty ironic. Originally it was hydras, riverbeasts and hook wasps. They said hook wasps weres too similar to wasps so they just added them to the wast family. They add Rylaks and say they are a new family when we all know they are chimeras. That's just blizz though, sometimes they make no sence.

What are the Rylak's pet abilities, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    What are the Rylak's pet abilities, anyway?
    We don't know yet.

And yeah complaining that Rylaks are their own family feels like a pointless complaint to me. So let me get this straight; Having Hook Wasps be their own family, even though they share the same animations and general appearance as regular wasps is BETTER than Rylaks, which have an appearance and animations that are distinctly different than Chimaera's being their own?

Because that's all that really changed. We lost Hook Wasps as a unique family, and gained Rylaks in their place. We're still getting Riverbeasts, and we're still (finally) getting Hydras. I think maybe the source of your confusion is your assumption that existing Chimaera models are getting replaced, which isn't happening. We will easily be able to tell the difference between Chimaeras and Rylaks at a glance, largely because one has a ground running animation and the other doesn't.

And to whoever asked about wolves, it's the same situation. None of the existing models are being replaced, they're simply adding new ones (which will leave us with something like 5 unique wolf models now and dozens of skins),
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Whenever a new model comes out (ie, MoP cat model), does it automatically replace the previous one (Ie, Vanilla cat model)? No. Same thing here.

Besides, Chimeras and Rylanks come from two completely different worlds. They are undoubtedly different families.

I'm wondering what creative ways they will have us tame rares on draenor. I'm hoping they don't cop out and do a bunch of stealthed ones with tracks again. One or two like that is fine, but it'd be neat to see some other ways to tame rares (like the firelands rares).