10+ Year Old Account
    My room is still a little chilly during summer, so no :P

I plan to use the poop brown fans for my upcoming server, and the PPC (Black) for my NCASE M1 rig
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Is that for your room during summer ?
    Oh no, we are not going down that road again!

Thats my setup, after just finishing the build, so not all tidy yet.
    The pad under the keyboard is to stop it clicking on the table, heavy cat broke one of the small legs, when jumped on it, planning on buying a big mouse/keyboard pad.

CPU - i5 4670k - still waiting for Frio Extreme to arrive.
    RAM - 2 x 4gb Corsair vengance CL9, low profile, big ass CPU cooler arriving.
    GPU - Asus GTX 760 OC
    Board - Z87 Gryphon
    PSU - Fractal Design R2 750W
    Case - Full tower CM Haf X, with some new coolers inc, and nice tidy cable management inside.

Peripherals :

Logitech : G430 Headset, G600 Mouse, G105 MWF edition keyboard ( came very, very cheap ).
    Dell S2740L screen.
    And yea, some very old, but very functional, and proven GREAT Altec Lansing 5.1 system for movies, and when i don't feel wearing a headset.
    Last edited by Ohmygonzo; 2014-06-23 at 02:23 PM.

Awwww look at the cute little speakers Sorry, that just popped into my head and I had to say it. Very nice though and they match the desk at least.

And that cord on the top of the computer is driving me nuts, what is it doing there? And I assume it's just the lighting, but the inside of your case looks like it has a orange piece of paper in it.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Awwww look at the cute little speakers Sorry, that just popped into my head and I had to say it. Very nice though and they match the desk at least.

And that cord on the top of the computer is driving me nuts, what is it doing there? And I assume it's just the lighting, but the inside of your case looks like it has a orange piece of paper in it.
    The speakers are now rearranged with a bit more touch, and the orange is just the wooden floor reflection from the case window
    The cord on top is just two USB drives chillin', was booting Windows, and some drivers from it, they weren't mine, so i sat them there for a friend to come, and pick 'em um.
    I'll post more pics from the inside also, when I install the new CPU cooler.
    And the desk is just a big drawing board for architectural studies, that i nicked from my sister, cuz it has a big flat surface.
    Last edited by Ohmygonzo; 2014-06-23 at 06:36 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tell you it seems the hardest thing to do these days is fine desks with simply just a big flat surface. All these desks want to be so complicated these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I tell you it seems the hardest thing to do these days is fine desks with simply just a big flat surface. All these desks want to be so complicated these days.
    Exactly, If you want something like this, you have to have it custom made, or to have a sister who doesn't need it anymore
    And its pure wood, so it is quality shit also.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post
    Exactly, If you want something like this, you have to have it custom made, or to have a sister who doesn't need it anymore
    And its pure wood, so it is quality shit also.
    lol yea I actually ended up building my desk. 36" x 80" surface, sits higher than most desks, and even built a back for it to mount my TV above my monitors. All for less than the average cheap desk. Sanded it down and painted it with a gloss black paint for smoothness. Only downside is it attracts dust pretty easily.

Little outdated. Have since placed the case on the floor due to it not helping the dust problem and replaced the speakers with Corsair SP2500's. Image is also pretty terrible quality. Desk looks short because it's so big I had to stand up high to get the whole thing in a picture. Probably can't even make out the G930's sitting next to the keyboard :P.

For thread purposes I suppose I'll post my specs as well:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
    2500k @ 4.5Ghz (Gotten it up to 4.8Ghz but I don't find the voltages worth it)
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo
    8GB G.Skill Sniper Series 1866Mhz DDR3 RAM
    2x4GB EVGA GTX 770 Classified w/ ACX Cooling SLI'd
    120GB Samsung 840 SSD
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
    Seasonic Platinum-1000 1000W PSU

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you ruin your CPU cooler?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by drdevious View Post
    Nice, looks like an old cassette player. Although i personally dislike the keyboard/mouse "drawer".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Sanded it down and painted it with a gloss black paint for smoothness.
    And you sir, just gave me an idea on how to pain my desk...

Thank you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the problem is that you can't say a CPU is outputting 100watts, it need an output over time, so lets say 100 watts per hour
    Watt already is energy per time (joules per second). What are you trying to say?

The reverse is true; sometimes one wants to know how much energy a 100watt piece of equipment uses over 20 hours. Then a measure of ENERGY is power * time = 100 watt * 20 hours = 2000 watthours. Which means the amount of energy used if you use 100 joules per second, over a period of 20 hours.

Watt is a measure per time unit in itself already. Watt per second doesn't make any sense whatsoever, except as a measure of a rapidly increasing power consumption or output. "The thermonuclear core is heating up and producing more and more energy, sir! Its output is increasing by 200 watts per second!!"

But unless you've got an overheating thermonuclear core powering your computer, I'd say watts are just fine for whatever it is you're trying to explain.

now lets put a stock heatsink on and it dropps the temp down to 80C, that means 20w/h is being drawn from the CPU and transferred to the air

now compare that to water, where the CPU temp drops to 50C, meaning 50w/h is being removed and transfered to the air
    The 100 watts being used by the CPU produce heat. In an aircooled CPU, the heat is transferred to the air being blown past it. With a bigger heatsink and a fan, the heat is spread out over a bigger (air) surface and therefore the air manages to cool down the CPU more. This does not take away the fact that 100 watts are being dissipated all the time, whether that be by heating up 1 unit of air by 40 units of temperature, or by heating 2 units of air by 20 units of temperature. In a watercooled CPU, the heat is transferred to the water flowing past, which is then again cooled by the air and (sometimes?) pressurized condensation.
    The effectiveness of the cooling determines the equilibrium temperature of the CPU, but it still uses and outputs 100 watts of power constantly. It heats up the room by the same amount. (If using a watercooler with a built-in 5 watt pump engine, the room is actually heated up MORE because of 105 watts being dissipated constantly - but to be fair, the same thing goes for the fan that cools the heatsink in the air solution.)

Ghâzh:
    if the CPU was a closed system and only contained 100 watts of energy total, and did not generate more, then the same amount of energy would be transfered to air and the only difference would be in how fast it is transfered, but a CPU is not a closed system, so the 3rd law of thermodynamics does not apply
    "100 watts of energy" -- watts isn't energy. Joules is energy. Watts is joules per second, a.k.a. power.
    If the input of power (let's say 100 watts) of the CPU wasn't the same as the power output (100 watts of work+dissipated heat combined), then it would keep heating up. It does heat up at start, because cooling a 30 degree CPU with 20 degree air is very ineffective - more power comes in than goes out. Then it heats up to 60 degrees, 20 degree air sucks up quite a bit of heat, but still not as much as is coming in. So it slowly heats up even more, to 80 degrees, by which the temperature stabilises - this MEANS that there is now apparently an equilibrium between the power going in (100w), and the heat dissipated (close to 100w)!

Let's say a CPU converts all its power to heat; if it's running 100w, no matter whether it's being effectively cooled down to 40C or running hot with a poor aircooler on 80C, it dissipates 100 watts of heat constantly! And if it didn't, it would heat up more until it did!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    I might be just bad at explaining myself but let me try one more time.
    Now if we don't count in the power drawn by the different cooling systems we can agree that both setups with the same hardware consume the same amount of power. If the example A is using 100 watts of energy on it's CPU per second we can also agree that this energy after turned in to heat must be moved away from the CPU area to keep it's temperature stable (this is assuming that the cooler can actually achieve this). Now regardless of the CPU temperature all that 100 watts of energy must be moved away because if let's say only 95 watts was exhausted it would mean that 5 watts of that energy would be stored somewhere inside the CPU every second and the CPU temperature would keep rising linearly higher and higher.
    (Just a side note: I agree with you, your point is valid, but this is just a small side remark I'd have to make.)
    What you say here would be true if all energy being put into the computer eventually became heat. That is, if you were to discount any "work" that was done with the energy. But since the "work" takes place at the electric level, it's quite a bit harder to say how much work is actually being done, or how that compares to the fraction of heat being produced.

To understand what I mean, consider an electric pulley in a closed box, with a power line going in. By putting power into it (it's a 100 watt pulley), a 1kg weight is being hoisted from the bottom of the box to the top. Since the pulley isn't 100% efficient, some heat is generated. After 1 minute of hoisting at 100w (100 joules per second), the weight is at the top of the box. Now, you can't say that the box has heated up by 100 wattminutes (100 watt * 1 minute) of energy, because much of the energy has gone into the work of hoisting the 1kg weight. Similarly, in a computer, not all of the power goes into heat. Otherwise it couldn't "do" anything. There are power cables carrying information going out of it.

Because it's staying stable at the same temperature we must agree that the cooler is actually getting all that 100 watts out.
    Correct. Though, in light of the above: the 100W go out in "work+heat", not just "heat". For the sake of the point, it's fine to just assume that it does, because then your point remains valid (and his point doesn't).

Comparing this to the example B we should also be able to work out that because it's CPU temperature is also staying stable (albeit at lower point) we must agree that it's also getting rid off all that 100 watts of energy. Now if your hypothesis of drawing more heat out would be correct it would mean that the cooler must be able to transfer more then 100 watts which is impossible given the stable power consumption of the CPU. If this was happening it would actually mean that the CPU temperature would start falling linearly.
    Yes. Correct! But please say "100 watts of POWER" and don't fall into his trap of trying to talk about "watts per hour". Watts is POWER, already is ENERGY per second.

If you want to look at more of the factors included you also need to account in the fact that water coolers are also most of the time exhausting the hot air straight in the room air, whereas something like stock cooler would exhaust inside the case, meaning that this introduces addition overhead when everything else inside your computer has to heat up before the heat can be transferred onward.
    Although the hotter the wires, the (slightly) heigher their resistance, thus more volts and therefore power is needed to keep your currents flowing. ;-)
    Last edited by mmocbc5645dc6c; 2014-06-24 at 09:46 AM.

Deleted
    That argument moved to "computer chat long time ago", so keep it there and take the wall of text away from here pls. This is gaming setups not energy and physics.

Deleted
    I have a computer and a keyboard. And two monitors. Oh and also a mouse.
    thanks

User was infracted for spam.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-06-27 at 12:24 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah, nice to see that there are people who know high school physics but indeed that discussion moved here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    I have a computer and a keyboard. And two monitors. Oh and also a mouse.
    thanks
    You're welcome.

Do you actually have a build, spec, pics to share?

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Yeah, nice to see that there are people who know high school physics but indeed that discussion moved here.
    Well that or they are at least smart enough to use google

Oh, and I hate Ebay sometimes. Almost got me a 2500k for $30 but someone nabbed it before I could buy it ;_;
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Deleted
    Hey Tiel, wanted to ask you, whats that coming out of your case above your start button?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Hey Tiel, wanted to ask you, whats that coming out of your case above your start button?
    SD-Card-Reader-thingy. The one that came with the case was utter trash(couldn't even get a SD card to go in all the way, let alone get it to read it), so I yanked the one out of my old case and just flopped it in there. It's ugly but it works

Deleted
    Haha nice one, i love it when ppl do things like that to make something work. If it works then kudos to you