Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What was the top DPS of each expansion?

The game has gone up exponentially each expansion regarding dps and heals, but does anyone recall approximately how much the highest end raiders were doing at the end of each expansion as well as classic WoW?

I remember in TBC the top dps was doing close to 3k (because I was pulling that in a high end raiding guild), but i dont remember the other expansions. And it seems this expansion people are doing approx 400k on some fights? maybe more?

Current thinking / remembering looks like this:

• Vanilla: 1k
    • TBC: 2.5-3k
    • WoTLK: 20-25k
    • CATA: 45-55k
    • MoP: 500-600k

Correct me if im wrong. But this looks like the average top dps from guilds clearing the highest end content available at the time.

It also begs the question, what were they thinking with exponential gains in gear? Its plain retarded and should have been stream lined in the first place. Thank goodness for the squish.

Sorely needed.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2014-06-25 at 08:39 PM.

Vanilla: 1k ???
    TBC: 4-5k
    WoTLK: 20k
    Cata: 50k
    MoP: 500k

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyed View Post
    I think vanilla was a bit less, other than that I agree.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

As far as single target goes that is about right

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    As far as single target goes that is about right
    I remember Warriors with Shadowmourne getting near 30k dps single target. If we exclude those with Legendary items, this is about right.

I would agree mostly, couple of things though;

In Vanilla I think Warlocks in mostly T3 were pulling 900+ dps which made up what, like 0.1% of the player base?
    For Wrath the ICC zone buff really artificially boosted the dps numbers.
    And MoP 500k is a little on the low side for the high end raiders

500k is pretty bad for a lot of specs now with the additional ilvl upgrades. 800k is not out of reach for Affliction Warlocks with amazing RNG and properly timed Tricks of the Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I remember Warriors with Shadowmourne getting near 30k dps single target. If we exclude those with Legendary items, this is about right.
    Try around 10k single target.Go watch a saurfang video. Numbers will be around 9-13k. There is also the 30% damage buff for a lot of that.

By top do you mean progression dps or ranking dps when progression is done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxiel View Post
    Try around 10k single target.Go watch a saurfang video. Numbers will be around 9-13k. There is also the 30% damage buff for a lot of that.
    Our fury warr. One of the best in the business: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9q3_WiqzTo

He did 11k, that was with only 5% icc buff and not even close to acquiring his Shadowmourne. The number is much higher than 10k with BiS gear and Shadowmourne.

This is what makes me think Blizz "forced" the squish by thinking if they didn't go crazy with damage inflation people would reject it.

Even with the 3x-5x power increase from Xpac to Xpac jump, it's somewhat manageable, then MoP jumps up 10x+ from the previous xpac, and most of that is in the last 40 Ilvls.

Ilvl 400 gets you roughly 50k damage. Ilvl 500 maybe 100k, 540 200k, 580 500k. While doubling in the first 100 iLvls isn't too bad, it more than double twice more in less iLvls after that. This is part of what is causing the power disparity and why pugs are worse then ever at demanding high requirements due to the raw power potential that comes with gear, even with a bad wearing it..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    Our fury warr. One of the best in the business: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9q3_WiqzTo

He did 11k, that was with only 5% icc buff and not even close to acquiring his Shadowmourne. The number is much higher than 10k with BiS gear and Shadowmourne.
    He's talking an average among the better players. WoL heroes were pulling 20k+ (but I don't recall any hitting near 50k)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlanckEnergy View Post
    500k is pretty bad for a lot of specs now with the additional ilvl upgrades. 800k is not out of reach for Affliction Warlocks with amazing RNG and properly timed Tricks of the Trade.
    Only for classes/specs or players who can totally meter whore. 400k is really good currently. Most specs, not whoring, peak around 450k with excellent RNG and the average is only around 350.

Most of those top parses where you see people doing 600k+ are people meter padding their asses off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    i pulled 35-40k ish on my alt rogue in cata in alt raids trying to get legendaries...pretty sure it was above that afterwards but /reg items... i think top end raiders were pulling more (i wasn't competitive at all on my rogue, i hit stuff and didn't stand in stuff ofc, but i didn't min/max, use pots and didn't use flasks except for heroic spine)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I think vanilla was a bit less, other than that I agree.
    Nax our dps pushed 800-1100 on patchwerk in Vanilla.

jk warlocks?

The top parse for Iron Juggernaut HC which is hard to pad is 1M, but that's for a tank so don't know if we should count that... Several +600k dps from aff locks though. However that's padding aswell since they all received TotT + the fact that the fight only lasts about 2min30sec with this current gear so you have a 25% heroism uptime + 40% Dark Soul uptime. Ridiculous.

In ICC I remember 11k DPS in heroic/normal gear being very high, though that may have been before that patch which buffed everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is grossly overcooked.

Vanilla was, to my knowledge, nowhere near 1k DPS on average - 700 to 800 was about as good as the average well-geared player got. I do stand to be corrected on that, though.

During Outland, nobody was doing 4 to 5k on average - the average, in top end gear, wasn't even 2k. Method's first Kil'jaeden kill, for example, see's the rogues not able to get above 2.5k, never mind the crazy numbers being quoted, and their uptime was very high. Against the Lich King on heroic, Paragon's top DK was managing around 14k (slightly less) so, again, the 20k number is grossly overstated, even considering the downtime on Arthas. As for Cataclysm, you'd probably have to pick a fight like Blackhorn with decent uptime and Method's top guy was doing 48k so at least that number is relatively accurate, but still too high for the average player.

As for MoP, just look at what Method were doing for Garrosh: and this is overcooking it by around 100k, which is quite a lot.

Now, obviously, it depends on when you meant and specific fights, but a cursory glance over end-tier fights tells you the story.

The best players were doing the following (ish):

TBC: 2.5k
    WotLK: 14k
    Cataclysm: 48k
    Mists: 400k

These are the top performers, so it's safe to assume the average player was miles below the numbers quoted.

Deleted
    The point was at the end of the expansion, not progress on the last boss (in this case in 20 ilvls lower gear than people have now).

OT:

If we're talking absolute highest DPS then you're looking at ~65k in Cata and 700k in MoP.

Deleted
    i got a warlock i know that broke skada when he went past 900k-1 million for a few seconds on garrosh hc. i think thats it at least
    Last edited by mmocabf3331359; 2014-06-25 at 08:34 PM.