10+ Year Old Account

seeing weird rocks in my telescope

I view the night sky from time to time at about a 30x magnification which isn't really magnified, sometimes I see rocks flying that look like they are in earths orbit, I doubt they are that, but what am I seeing? Sometimes I see a light moving slowly through the sky then I see it go out but I can still see a feint object with no flashing lights or anything floating across the sky in a straight trajectory. I usually follow them till I cannot see them any longer, they never do anything special, was just wondering. Am I seeing a meteor enter the atmosphere and burn out and traveling to it's resting place on earth? Am I seeing space junk? The objects aren't always lit up at first sometimes I catch the movement of a dark object while watching a planet or star and then I follow it. Anyway, anyone have any idea what I am seeing, I am not a professional astronomer I don't have a camera attached at all times ready to snap so I haven't caught any of these on film.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

10+ Year Old Account
    You're definitely not seeing space junk with 30x. You're either seeing birds in the sky or heat waves in the lower atmosphere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    You're definitely not seeing space junk with 30x. You're either seeing birds in the sky or heat waves in the lower atmosphere.
    You can see the gap in saturns rings at only 25x......

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I view the night sky from time to time at about a 30x magnification which isn't really magnified, sometimes I see rocks flying that look like they are in earths orbit, I doubt they are that, but what am I seeing? Sometimes I see a light moving slowly through the sky then I see it go out but I can still see a feint object with no flashing lights or anything floating across the sky in a straight trajectory. I usually follow them till I cannot see them any longer, they never do anything special, was just wondering. Am I seeing a meteor enter the atmosphere and burn out and traveling to it's resting place on earth? Am I seeing space junk? The objects aren't always lit up at first sometimes I catch the movement of a dark object while watching a planet or star and then I follow it. Anyway, anyone have any idea what I am seeing, I am not a professional astronomer I don't have a camera attached at all times ready to snap so I haven't caught any of these on film.

satellites?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    satellites?
    I actually asked the same question on yahoo answers and that is what most people said, the reflection of the sun reflects light until it gets outta the correct angle to propagate the light my way and then I see it moving but I can't make out the shape, I looked tonight and used a bit higher magnification and I could make a bit of detail out on them, it is satellites.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can see the gap in saturns rings at only 25x......
    That depends greatly on a few other factors, such as the focal length of your scope and the size of the eyepiece. At 25x with a poorly matched eyepiece you may only see Saturn as a beige blur.

I actually asked the same question on yahoo answers and that is what most people said, the reflection of the sun reflects light until it gets outta the correct angle to propagate the light my way and then I see it moving but I can't make out the shape, I looked tonight and used a bit higher magnification and I could make a bit of detail out on them, it is satellites.
    That's cool though, to be able to see satellites! But I'm afraid it's not enough evidence to prove to the Flat Earth Society that the world is round.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

UFO's disguised as rocks