Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Demonology "awkward"?

I've been trying Demonology today, I haven't played it regularly since WotLK, but I seem to try it every couple of months and every time I end up switching back to Destruction for the same reason: Demonology just feels so awkward and convoluted.

I think it's the combination of the "demon dancing" plus the Molten Core mechanic, which is essentially a 3rd resource, and the different dots for different forms.

I know people play it because of its "skill level", but don't you think it's just a bit too awkward like this? Could it be improved without being simplified too much, maybe by ditching or changing Molten Core?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-06-27 at 11:33 AM.

It's really weird when you're used to the older demo playstyles (e.g. Catacylsm), but in my opinion it's much better implemented now. Whole new level of resource and CD management, paired with stance dancing, just great. Too bad I'm too terrible to play it competitively, but there are tons of locks who do.

Molten core to me is analogous to Chaos Bolt, pop into meta and blast a few out on trinket procs, if fury allows for it with respect to your next Dark Soul. In other words, it's a core mechanic and I don't think it should be altered.

Deleted
    Removing Molten Core would suck, it makes Soul Fire a viable spell.

The alternative would be to make it passive, and then you'd never need to cast Shadow Bolt.

So yeah, it has to stay.

They're also removing some of the stance dancing by not having us snapshot Shadow Flame in meta. Will make things a bit more flexible imo.

It's not any single mechanic or ability that makes it feel awkward to me, It's the combination of them all that makes it feel weird. Molten core was just an example because it feels like an unnecessary 3rd resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    Removing Molten Core would suck, it makes Soul Fire a viable spell.

The alternative would be to make it passive, and then you'd never need to cast Shadow Bolt.
    Well there are a million alternate things they could do with Soul Fire tbh. (12sec cooldown with big damage & big fury generation, or make MC like its Cata version etc, could be anything)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to treat molten core charges as a resource you spend in conjunction with your demonic fury.

Through associating the two together it really isn't the complicated. You have a 'down-phase' or caster phase and greater control of when you spend your resource.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I've been trying Demonology today, I haven't played it regularly since WotLK, but I seem to try it every couple of months and every time I end up switching back to Destruction
    I have good reason to believe you just like simple specs.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How anyone enjoys playing destruction is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsar View Post
    I have good reason to believe you just like simple specs.
    Destro in WotLK and Cataclysm was anything but "simple". There's a difference between that and not liking something that seems needlessly convoluted.

The stance dancing to snapshot shadowflame was awkward but molten core is pretty straight forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without Molten Core, the spec would boil down to "press 3 until Fury bar is full, activate Meta, press 3 until empty again". It adds a bit of dynamism to prevent the spec becoming too cyclical like Boomkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevoa View Post
    How anyone enjoys playing destruction is beyond me.
    All classes and specs are trivial to play and all equally boring.

press 3 until Fury bar is full
    Your keybinds are wrong it's press 5.

On topic i don't think its awkward at all, it is a lot smoother than previous expansions and with snap shoting gone it will only get smoother.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I thought the rotation was 'awkward' was when you had to play around UVLS in 5.2. Not counting that though I think that Demo plays pretty smooth compared to how it has in the past (MWC, Pet Swapping, Having to stand a certain distance from the boss for execute to work).

I think the spec would become extremely dull if Molten Core went away, its one of the main reason there is depth right now.

My sister saw me naked rocking a stiffy.That was awkward.

Infracted for Minor Spam. The topic is quite clear here, post more constructively next time.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2014-06-28 at 06:01 PM.

It's because she doesn't know how bad fury regen is on 10man raids. If she knew, she would barely notice you.

Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    It's because she doesn't know how bad fury regen is on 10man raids. If she knew, she would barely notice you.
    No worries bro I hear they are fixing that for you come WoD.

Well, it's kinda true. But I will feel a little sad to left my guild behind. They just don't have what it takes to do mythic.

Deleted
    I think the stance dancing is what makes it awkward. Also it's definitely not as straight forward as to what you 'should' be doing as destro is. I never tried it enough to master it though, which I'm sure is same for a lot of people. Try it out, realize you're doing half the dps you do with destro and also have no idea what's going on -> switch back to destro.

I'd say all three specs are easy to play, but hard to master, demo being the hardest in actual play as you can get it down on dummies but with mechanics it can be pretty 'awkward' while having to manage metamorphosis and micro manage everything else that gives Demo its high skill cap. Once you get muscle memory though; it's an extremely fun spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    I think the stance dancing is what makes it awkward. Also it's definitely not as straight forward as to what you 'should' be doing as destro is. I never tried it enough to master it though, which I'm sure is same for a lot of people. Try it out, realize you're doing half the dps you do with destro and also have no idea what's going on -> switch back to destro.
    This is probably accurate for most people. The sad part is that with just a bit more effort, you'll get close to destructions results again.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud