Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Errrr.....were mob AI changed? Because they can follow for miles....

So back in WotLK or whatever, if you were to engage a mob and be like "wait, jk. I dont want to deal with you" you could run away, and you would eventually go out of combat because the mob would stop chasing you.

on two different times, I've had mobs chase me FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR longer than they should have, and its annoying, because I kind of just want to go out of combat and not spend 10 seconds trying to kill. So I spend 1 minute kiting them around Pandaria, an eventually kill them because I realize that they just dont go out of combat.

Is this a new thing with only Pandaria mobs? What the hell is up?
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably a bug. I've only ever had that happen to me once, in Darkshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Probably a bug. I've only ever had that happen to me once, in Darkshore.
    Its happened twice, and Im not sure if its even worth mentioning in a report.

It's just frustrating because mobs take a bit to kill as a new 86..
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Yeah this has been happening to me too...

10+ Year Old Account
    As ever, they will follow you if you keep hitting them to keep refreshing their interest. If you're doing any damage to them while they follow you, maybe even some kind of passive damage or pet that might be causing it?

But there's been no intentional change with how it works, it's the same as ever really. They should still reset after a far enough distance without hitting them. If you're not, then yeah, weird bug is only explanation!

Errrr DK's Spriests dont have a spell like that, do they?
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    Errrr DK's Spriests dont have a spell like that, do they?
    Errrr... No. If you're hitting them as you run away they may not stop. Also, are you sure you're not getting chased by guards?

It's clearly a bug or you ran in circles so you never came out his follow zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Errrr... No. If you're hitting them as you run away they may not stop. Also, are you sure you're not getting chased by guards?
    And thats what I figured. I dont hit them, maybe I hit them somehow when they got aggro'd, but I just run........and no, the two times I got cchased like this was with those lizard dudes in Jade forest (start with an S I think) and those roided rabbits in Valley
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

Never been a position to test but if dots count as refreshing interest on a mob then both dk and spriest are likely to have to kite for a good 40-45 seconds to leash something they dotted.

@OP if you get enough distance from the mob they will guaranteed leash, even if they are generally unleashable mobs. By enough I mean a good few hundred yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Happened to be a few times lately as well, thought I was just being impatient though (probably was still).

It seems as if using pretty much any ability the mob's agro seems to continue, even if it's something like Blink to keep getting away; previously just not hitting them at all, or being far enough away would work. Also if someone else is in combat with it, even if they aren't linked to you in any way, e.g. party or healed you, you will also stay in combat until THEY are out of combat as well.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-07-05 at 03:24 PM.

Leashing has been wonky lately. You can kite stuff from timeless isle to shrine for lulz. I've had swarms of vermin follow me all the way to domination point from outside half hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Leashing has been wonky lately. You can kite stuff from timeless isle to shrine for lulz. I've had swarms of vermin follow me all the way to domination point from outside half hill.
    Is it just an MoP thing?
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

Most mobs leash, but some don't.

Generally, when mobs don't leash, exploits, or at least super annoying griefy behaviors, aren't far behind.

hitting a mob every 5-6 seconds will keep it leashing to you and you can kite it pretty much indefinately. Stop hitting it and run in straight line and it will leash. Mob leashing hasn't changed

15+ Year Old Account
    Have had this happen a lot on the timeless isle.

Running on my mount. Get pounced and dazed and have to run half across the isle to get out of combat.

This is without doing any damage at all to them (checked logs).

Probably just a bug with some mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    hitting a mob every 5-6 seconds will keep it leashing to you and you can kite it pretty much indefinately. Stop hitting it and run in straight line and it will leash. Mob leashing hasn't changed
    There definitely is some wonky things with it sometimes though, like I've been stuck in combat after killing Vermin or whatever, just to hearth to still be stuck in combat. Assuming this might be relevant because it's possible that whatever is causing you to be stuck in combat is also causing the mob to never leave combat with you.

I believe healing yourself also reminds them of how much they hate you, but it's been a while so I'm not really sure.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    Being stuck in combat sometimes when nothing is attacking you is a bug that goes back to 1.x WoW. It's terribly annoying. Mobs not leashing and leaving combat is also a bug that you would be hard pressed to repeat even with the same mob. I've yet to encounter a single mob, or rare, that won't leash on Timeless Isle. Some are just harder to get away from due to their mechanics and, on the Isle, they gather other mobs as they pass more similar to how elites in a dungeon work.

I think part of this has to do with so few players being used to dealing with elite mobs in "the world". Blizzard didn't really do players real favors when they cleansed all the lowbie areas of elite creatures and group quests. It's sad. And then from Wrath of the Lich King on they made elite mobs nothing more than regular mobs with sometimes bigger health pools but no real danger. So they get up to someplace like Timeless Isle and get WTFBBQPWNed or don't realize you have to run much further and do nothing to them or yourself to get them to leash.

TI isn't any different, really, than playing with the Ogres while you were leveling through STV, in 1.x, or farming Tyr's Hand as a lvl60 (or various Dragonkin packs elsewhere)...only back then the gear sucked and you didn't get all these free stacking buffs to cheat your damage against those guys.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-05 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The flying sky screamers on the timeless isle will follow you for a looooong time. Had one get on me in a world boss group after we had killed oondasta... it followed me out into the fatigue water, and was showing no signs of stopping until I used the Saylin war banner to escape.

At any rate... Just another nice reminder of what running around on the ground throughout WoD will be like occasionally.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.