Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Where have all the WoW blogs gone?

I used to have a sidebar with a good 30-40 links, http://rrvs.blogspot.com

But, I recently went through the list and found that near all of them had quit posting over a year ago,
    and plenty had completely shut down their url and got replaced with a placeholder.

What happened?
    Cataclysm really got people quitting, or is there just nothing "new" to blog about these days?

I'd love to hear from some fellow Bloggers, what do you post about nowadays,
    and would you be interested in a link exchange sometime to increase activity?

If you're not a blogger yourself, what are your favorite "must read" blogs in your bookmark list?
    Last edited by bbr; 2014-07-12 at 05:41 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guess would be that there is only so much you could write about without being repetitive. I'm not a wow blogger but I know of a certain popular blog site I used to follow changed editor-in-chief a while back and the whole site went to the toilet.
    Horde always.

All the hardcore players are being driven away from the game. Those are the people righting blogs, guids, contributing to sites like EJ and howtopriest. The casual community is a giant leech - sucking everything from the game and giving nothing back.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Deleted
    Maybe once I have my new and improved pc I will start posting a blog, I still love the game and I love writing stories so it should all be good =D

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    All the hardcore players are being driven away from the game. Those are the people righting blogs, guids, contributing to sites like EJ and howtopriest. The casual community is a giant leech - sucking everything from the game and giving nothing back.
    Not just sucking from the game but demanding more rewards and entitlement with putting little to no effort into it themselves. It all started to go down hill in wrath with the "everybody should see content mentality" and cataclysm was the nail in the coffin. WoD isn't going to save anything. For the first time I have willingly unsubbed from the game (back in april) as 7 months of SoO was enough for me and the prospect of having to deal with it and the MoP theme itself for yet another 7-8 months was just to much. 14-15 months of SoO....no thanks.

Not putting my money into something that isn't giving shit in return for over a year. No other MMO does that. The WoW population is declining because of things like destroying server communities, destroying any danger of questing (people can quest with no gear and be successful), and making the same raid on 4 difficulties taking away any type of prestige that the game had. Content for everybody was not the answer and the bleeding of sub losses and the nastiness of the wow community prove that. MMO games should be for people that like MMO's and enjoy the challenge. Not people that cry about inconvenience and not having everything tossed there way for instant gratification.
    Last edited by Xires; 2014-07-09 at 10:26 PM.

Deleted
    Wow...only at post number 3 and it already derailed. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Wow...only at post number 3 and it already derailed. Impressive.
    Derailed? I'm answering his question. There are no bloggers because WoW isn't worth blogging about anymore. The above post were just some of the reasons.

Moved to youtube and became 'vloggers' Its a much more efficient platform.

At least thats where the new guys are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really derailed. OP asked what happened and we've already had the answer above - for any given blogger it gets repetitive after awhile, your enthusiasm for the game wanes (or you believe the game is in decline/not what you like). And then... the hardcore, serious players are the ones who write. Not the casual player. as the hardcore moves on, blogs decrease in number. We're also in the middle of a VERY long content drought so there's nothing new to write about. As that happens, people move on too.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    They pay a sub cost... which may go towards developing content. They also populate the world and even add items to the auction house. Its entitled player not casuals that ruin the game.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-07-09 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    it moved to twitch cause theres cash to make....

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post

Problem with youtuber WoW stuff is that it's either all PvP montage videos with shit music over it or raider videos from people with ridiculous looking UI's and a facecam in the corner. Then you've got the likes of Crendor who makes maybe one decent WoW machinima every few months and a bunch of extremely mediocre filler ones between those to keep his income up with views from the mindless fanboys.

There's still a place for WoW blogs and I hope they don't die out.

I used to write one, but then I ran out of resources. By resources, I mean damns to give.

Running joke aside, Youtube and Twitch are where most of the remaining "bloggers" have went to.

Deleted
    The money is in streaming, not blogging, that's where they all went.

I'm running one specifically dedicated to the new warrior talent/spec Gladiator's Resolve.
    It's my first blog, and I'm not updating it every single Alpha/Beta patch note that releases, but it seems to generate quite a bit of traffic, and hopefully hype. I really want the ability to hit live and I hope to encourage others to test it in beta ( since i didn't get in.. ). I definitely don't care to try to profit from this, if Gladstance see's the light of day ( live ) that is all the reward I could ask for . It's new and often misunderstood ( druids usually think we got cat-bear when they lost it ) so I try to keep up on twitter and be helpful with the FAQ I wrote.

Oh, I didn't see the second part of the question.

Blogs I subscribe to these days have to do with what i'm doing in game. So I'm an MT, GM, Raidlead for my heroic group and I find myself reading Kurn @ The Sentry Totem a lot. A lot of the posts on Sentry Totem are great actually.
    I tank, so I read everything Theck posts on Sacred Duty
    There's some amazing stuff still being posted on wow blogs, some of which are class specific ( i have all the tank alts ) and/or just theory specific. I need to know quite a bit about all classes/specs because I'm RL for heroic group as I said, but they're all very much slackers haha, so I try to pull some slack there by doing some research on my own. here's a few off the top of my head.

Heliocentric http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/
    Sunnier's Art of War http://sunniersartofwar.com/
    HamletEJ http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/
    Lisanna http://www.restokin.com/
    Sentry Totem: http://sentrytotem.com/

And finally, if you're into heroic raiding, you have to watch Final Boss. It's pretty sweet
    Last edited by Cyclonus-WOW; 2014-07-10 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added links.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Gladiator's Resolve Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Warriors are hereos that draw thier super human strength from thier relentless fury and thier unstoppeble willpower to fight on til the end of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Derailed? I'm answering his question. There are no bloggers because WoW isn't worth blogging about anymore. The above post were just some of the reasons.
    "OMG CASUALS ARE AWFUL" is literally derailing the thread. The third post was fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    it moved to twitch cause theres cash to make....
    Quote Originally Posted by lazerhawk View Post
    The money is in streaming, not blogging, that's where they all went.
    any time i'm looking for information and a video, no matter what site its from, is instantly overlooked by me. i enjoy reading and prefer to get all the information at once, rather than be adblasted and timeteased to death.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    any time i'm looking for information and a video, no matter what site its from, is instantly overlooked by me. i enjoy reading and prefer to get all the information at once, rather than be adblasted and timeteased to death.
    I'm the same.. Anytime I find something I'm interested in and it takes me to a video I leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, subs have dropped and probably with it a lot of players who ran blogs.

But I think a lot of people have moved over to things like YouTube. People nowadays prefer video to reading a long post (just like it is a lot easier to find boss video guides now compared to written strategies), and YouTube has the advantage of not only costing you money to host, but earning you money through partnership networks.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |