Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Verizon FiOS Speeds?

So I was informed by my parents that we're getting Verizon FiOS installed today, and was wondering what the internet speeds on it were like?

We're in Rhode Island, and we currently we have Cox Communications cable internet, which gets me about 25-30 mbps down, over wifi.

My mother said that the Verizon tech told her we'd be getting "75 BPS" internet, but...she's not exactly the most tech-savvy person. I'm assuming she meant 75 mbps?

10+ Year Old Account
    they have a few different packages. From what I can dig up without being in a Fios service area, the options are (down/up in Mbps)
    15/3, 50/25, 75/35,150/65, 300/65, 500/100

with the 150,300,500 Mbps down packages only available in certain markets (see the source for availability etc...)

source: http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet

Given that Verizon lists the 15,50,75 packages as the popular ones, it should be a safe bet those will at least be available

TLDR; Yes, 75Mbps down x 35Mbps up
    Last edited by abracmike; 2014-07-08 at 03:48 PM. Reason: corrected 150Mbps tier

10+ Year Old Account
    She probably meant the 75 down package, which is funny because my parents called it BPS too! Heck, even my girlfriend is calling it 'bytes' when we had ours installed.

On their website, 75 is an option so I'm assuming that is what you're getting.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like she meant 75 Mbps, but your mileage may vary via wireless, as it also depends on the wireless router, your devices wireless adapter, and what speeds they are capable of.

Yep, we did get the "75/35" package, but as of a few Ookla speedtests, I seem to be getting just about the same download speed as cable. Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this is...kinda pathetic.

With cable internet, I was getting 25-35mbps on speed tests; with "FiOS", I'm getting 15-25mbps.

Wtf. Fiber being roughly half the speed of cable? That doesn't make sense...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    She probably meant the 75 down package, which is funny because my parents called it BPS too! Heck, even my girlfriend is calling it 'bytes' when we had ours installed.

On their website, 75 is an option so I'm assuming that is what you're getting.
    75 Beats Per Second. That's fast ass Internet right there!

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yep, we did get the "75/35" package, but as of a few Ookla speedtests, I seem to be getting just about the same download speed as cable. Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this is...kinda pathetic.

With cable internet, I was getting 25-35mbps on speed tests; with "FiOS", I'm getting 15-25mbps.

Wtf. Fiber being roughly half the speed of cable? That doesn't make sense...
    Did they actually run Fiber into your house? Or is it just fiber hooked up to the normal copper wires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you watch Netflix you may see a lot more "buffering" What they post as the speed you get and what you actually get from certain sites may differ VASTLY... :P

Yeah, as someone that has FiOS, that sucks you're switching. They have horrendous routing issues and self-inflicted congestion problems. Twitch straight up doesn't work during the day and has endless buffering, game traffic has tons of jitter issues, etc.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, as someone that has FiOS, that sucks you're switching. They have horrendous routing issues and self-inflicted congestion problems. Twitch straight up doesn't work during the day and has endless buffering, game traffic has tons of jitter issues, etc.
    Can vouch for this. I watch a livestreamer and he has horrendous issues from time to time with Verizion FiOS. Sometimes he can't stream for 3 days because stream keeps cutting every 5 min. He has(for the past year or so), tried to fix it for good, getting a 2nd line completely(entirely new cable) and it did f- all and every time a Verizion tech has tried to fix it, they didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Can vouch for this. I watch a livestreamer and he has horrendous issues from time to time with Verizion FiOS. Sometimes he can't stream for 3 days because stream keeps cutting every 5 min. He has(for the past year or so), tried to fix it for good, getting a 2nd line completely(entirely new cable) and it did f- all and every time a Verizion tech has tried to fix it, they didn't do anything.
    Lirik? I rarely watch him, but when I do he complains about FiOS, haha.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Did they actually run Fiber into your house? Or is it just fiber hooked up to the normal copper wires.
    I'm pretty sure they ran a fiber line to the house, because they had to install a new cable from a telephone pole across the street.

The router however, seems to have a coaxial plugged into it.

I'm pretty sure they ran a fiber line to the house, because they had to install a new cable from a telephone pole across the street.

The router however, seems to have a coaxial plugged into it.
    Yeah, that's MOCA (a huge contributor to jitter issues with them). The fiber is ran to the ONT either inside or outside your house. From there it's converted to coax and lined into your router. As far as speeds go, the router they supply you with doesn't deliver speeds over 54Mbit in absolute optimal conditions. If you want a wireless ac unit that supports your tier, you'll need to drop $200 for their "advanced" model and still pay the monthly rental fee on top of it.

build pics

Hm...I went and plugged my laptop into the ethernet of the router, and...BAM, 80mbps download and 38mbps upload. Slightly faster than what we're paying for!

Now if only my desktop wasn't on the other side of the house...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm...I went and plugged my laptop into the ethernet of the router, and...BAM, 80mbps download and 38mbps upload. Slightly faster than what we're paying for!

Now if only my desktop wasn't on the other side of the house...
    The "joys" of wireless.... I personally leave wireless for laptops and mobile devices. All my PCs and other "non-mobile" devices are hardwired via 1000baseT.
    I have mediacom cable (108/10) but I'm moving to Provo, UT in the near future.... Google Fiber BABY! (1000/1000) for a mere 80$/mo
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might be worth getting a nicer wireless router/access point and a better wireless connector for your desktop.

I recently got a refurb Netgear WNDR3400 on Amazon for $20. I put dd-wrt on it, and have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless connections, as well as a guest 2.4Ghz wireless that I let my upstairs neighbor connect to.

Or you could try the powerline connectors that some use, depending on your house wiring, you can get a great ethernet connection without running more wires.
    Newegg options, sorted by price, and best ratings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-07-09 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Confirmed Lirik watcher.
    "Old WoW was when the game was bad yet good. New WoW is when the game is good yet bad." -Destil

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    The "joys" of wireless.... I personally leave wireless for laptops and mobile devices. All my PCs and other "non-mobile" devices are hardwired via 1000baseT.
    Yeeaahh, sadly this isn't my house, so the router is located on the opposite side of the house, from where my computer is.

Once I go back to college however, I'll (hopefully) be able to use ethernet once more. For now, I guess I'll just have to buy a 50-foot ethernet cable and run it across the house while I'm alone during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, there we go; with Ethernet I'm getting a fat 83mbps down and 37mbps up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For now, I guess I'll just have to buy a 50-foot ethernet cable and run it across the house while I'm alone during the day.
    Look into the powerline connectors I mentioned... unless the cost is an issue. You could be all set for $40/50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    Look into the powerline connectors I mentioned... unless the cost is an issue. You could be all set for $40/50 bucks.
    I'm currently all set for $20 with the 100-foot Ethernet I bought. :P