Thread: Duped items

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Duped items

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever had any instances with a duped item? With all the skepticism going around about TCG pets, Tabards and Mounts I'm wondering if anyone can share any experiences they might have had with a duped item. Talking with a GM, I was told that if the player had already learned the item such as a pet or mount, then it cannot be removed from their collection. Although I was curious if it was still an item that was able to be put in the AH or traded, what would happen? I've never heard of anyone actually having an item disappear of confiscated due to duping and while there were rumors of duping going on in WoW there was never a real big issue or at least urgency to discuss or explore the topic.

There was a lot of duping going on i Cataclysm. At some point I bought 10x Crim Deathchargers for only 5k each and ended up selling them i Mists for 20k each. There was also a fuckton of duped epic gems. I think everything that you suspect is being duped has been duped since earlier expansions.

I never had a duped item removed from me. Although I recall my friend having his Vial of the Sands removed because it was duped and he had written in chat that he knew he was buying a duped one himself, so he didn't get his 15k gold or w/e he ended up paying for the mount, back either.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, i remember Jeweled onyx panthers being sold for some ridiculously low prices at some point. Like 35k when the materials cost 80k and that was in Mists... But that is the only instance where I've suspected duping in Mists.
    Last edited by Overdispersion; 2014-07-11 at 08:52 AM.

Hmm weird, you think I could open a ticket or something asking GM about a duped item like if they could scan it? I'm really not sure how they handle it and would like to know before I get screwed over one day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard insists, and the CM's actually can get touchy and angry over it, that there are no dupes lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Blizzard insists, and the CM's actually can get touchy and angry over it, that there are no dupes lol
    That seems to be a universal attitude in most MMOs. Never, admit that duping can happen till you've stopped it from happening. WoW's latency multi-loot bug was around since they introduced mass looting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course there are dupes in this game.

There is no other way AH's could have been stocked with hundreds of epic red gems in Cata, 10+ Crimson Deathchargers at any given time for 10-25k and 25-40k Jeweled Onyx Panthers as far as the eye can see.

A friend of mine got an Onyx Panther from someone for boosting them 5 levels... you think that person made that mount?

PSHHHHYAH!

Deleted
    It's not very hard to find instructions how to dupe stuff. You can almost google for it.
    It does require a bit of a technical knowhow though (basic networking/TCP/IP knowledge)

But, this topic is dangerously close to cheating, and I don't think MMOC allows the discussion

Deleted
    i never buy tcg stuff from trade, you always know its a hoax

also...
    in blackrock depths there is a boss fight with like 8 dwarfs orso coming out one at a time, the chest at the end contains loot, to this day i have never been able to get any loot from it, not even when needing on the item and everyone else greeding on it, plus they cannot trade the item from that chest it will say you are not eligible to loot it

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    It's not very hard to find instructions how to dupe stuff. You can almost google for it.
    It does require a bit of a technical knowhow though (basic networking/TCP/IP knowledge)

But, this topic is dangerously close to cheating, and I don't think MMOC allows the discussion
    I think think it would break with MMOC's rules as long as we keep it to "duping is real and its a problem" and keep instructions out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Don't know if it qualifies as duping or not, but back in cataclysm there were people (myself included, and i got banned for it) with guildbanks full of Battered Hilts. Won't go into detail but it involved memory editing. Got caught fairly quick, seems like there is no problem at all for blizzard to identify duped items.

Can we stop discussing the methods or processes of duping? This purpose of this thread is to discuss topic of what sort of actions have Blizzard done in the past towards duped items. That is all.

I talked to a GM again and they said that they check the item ID for duped items and if they do find an item containing the same item ID as another item it will be taken care of (removed). He said that it's unusual and often random on when they do the scanning.
    Last edited by Icecreamcake; 2014-07-12 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    Can we stop discussing the methods or processes of duping? This purpose of this thread is to discuss topic of what sort of actions have Blizzard done in the past towards duped items. That is all.

I talked to a GM again and they said that they check the item ID for duped items and if they do find an item containing the same item ID as another item it will be taken care of (removed). He said that it's unusual and often random on when they do the scanning.
    The general rule is, if you buy it in the AH, it is legit, it will work, and will not be taken away from you even if it was created by some "alternative" method.

Personally, I would never buy a very valuable item that hasn't been "cleaned" by listing in the AH. Such items may occasionally be invalid/nonworking (e.g. mounts that you can't learn) and are subject to removal by Blizzard in the event of violation of ToS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade and Soul View Post
    Rule of Thumb: If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
    Basicly the best advice to a lot if you cannot see it in real.

If you purchase a duped item, you mostly stand with a loss if caught / cheated. Some dupes are unable to be used due to well, them being dupes and some people fail at making them (well, generally fail for having to make them).

Blizzard doesn't owe you anything if a duped item doesn't function, or generally disappear. Sometimes they can be nice to refund but most I have heard, they just remove it and that is that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenora View Post
    i never buy tcg stuff from trade, you always know its a hoax

also...
    in blackrock depths there is a boss fight with like 8 dwarfs orso coming out one at a time, the chest at the end contains loot, to this day i have never been able to get any loot from it, not even when needing on the item and everyone else greeding on it, plus they cannot trade the item from that chest it will say you are not eligible to loot it
    I've encountered the same bug several times and if not me, then someone else in my dungeon group has lost out on an item. When looking at the loot window it just shows some dots for the person experiencing the bug whereas everyone else had a roll of either need/greed.

When it comes to TCG loot, I think that an item that is not duped will still have a "made by"-tag but that disappears if you transfer server etc. Still most people who are looking to buy this kind of loot require the seller to still have the tag on the item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

It's very safe to buy duped stuff. Just pretend you thought you got a good deal and Blizzard won't do a thing.

General rule of thumb. If someone is selling an expensive item decently cheap, and they are under level 90. Don't buy it, it's probably a duped item.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a "enchant" from the AH, and had already done MC earlier. Meaning that my bags were FULL, at least the 3 first, and my bags are always EMPTY; exception is bag 5 with 2-3 elixirs, and some flasks etc.

Either way, I bought the scroll, took it rom the mailbox, enchanted my chest and what did I see? My chest got enchanted. However, later I noticed that the scroll still was in my bag. Guess which bag? The bag 4, not the first 3, they were still filled with trash, and bag 5? Still the same. If it was already in my bag, it would either end up on the first bags, of course because that's were it would have been, or the last bag. All bags from 1-3. Can happen that trash is on bag 1.

I am btw, a NON enchanter, didn't buy the enchant earlier.
    I checked the auctioneer log, none enchants of chestpieces were bought with the exception of a Stamina Enchant earlier, however this one was All Stats.
    I ONLY bought 1 single item. Not multiple items for the price of one.

Either way, I'm not sure why this happend, so I deleted the item. Tbh, I've had problems with Blizzard for duping items a few year back, and yes got permamently banned, didn't want to even risk it again.

I'm not sure if the item was .. Duped. Can't see how it would, however it had multiple charges, probably. Maybe I could've used it to enchant more chests and the items still would've been there, almost like a infinite chest enchant charges. I dunno. But dupes? Sure, they're there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a Deathcharger one day that ended up being a duplicate and the GM I spoke to compensated me for it and apologized. I didn't know it was a duplicate until she'd told me. I don't think it's always black and white how they treat you... she did a great service for me.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a lot of people claim that items were duped but I've yet to actually see proof of duping. I mean I've seen YouTube scam videos, but I've never actually seen proof of duping.