Dropping Enchanting in WoD?

One of the big reasons I have enchanting as a raider was the joys of disenchanting my soulbound items when I replaced a piece of gear, this meant that when a new raiding tier came out I would get a nice little bonus when replacing lots of gear in a short amount of time.

However the garrison enchanting building appears to provide the ability to disenchant items, although I do not know if this feature extends to all item levels.

And of course I am always capable of getting my items enchanted by another player or alt, so my question is if having enchanting on my main be even worth it in WoD? I was thinking about dropping it for tailoring so I can cash in on extra cloth drops and bags.

Granted it is a beta and things can change, but currently it just seems that enchanting is just a thing that everyone is going to have access to and that provides no real bonuses to the actual enchanter if they can just have soulbound items de'd elsewhere.

Without having tried the beta out I couldn't say. However, I have some hard to get enchants and would hate losing them because of completion reasons.

The general sense I'm getting from asking Beta players (and reading blue posts) is that there is no purpose in having any particular profession, with the exception of gathering professions, because all profession-specific perks are being removed. (The gathering professions currently still have their perks, but most people are playing that off as a bug in Beta right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    The general sense I'm getting from asking Beta players (and reading blue posts) is that there is no purpose in having any particular profession, with the exception of gathering professions, because all profession-specific perks are being removed. (The gathering professions currently still have their perks, but most people are playing that off as a bug in Beta right now.)
    I thought this was just with combat related perks, so that something like tailoring's bonus cloth drops wouldn't be changed.

Deleted
    If you have any rare recipes, I'd advise you not to drop it, since you can always level Tailoring on an alt if all you want is bonus cloth and bags. Tailoring doesn't seem to have any BoP items in WoD from what I've seen so far, so any alt with a DPS spec you actually enjoy playing will do nicely.

In the meantime, you could make yourself a Tailoring leveling kit and save it in case you want to make the switch at a later time. But I think you should hold off until we get more information about Enchanting because it might get some nice BoP items.

If you're looking to pick up something with personal benefits, I think Alchemy would be a good choice because it has BoP trinkets or maybe Engineering for the toys and goggles. Tailoring will probably only give the cheap spellthread, which is pretty awesome if you play a healer/caster hybrid and maintain multiple sets for each spec (saves you a chunk of gold, allows you to use your special cloth for profitable recipes, and gives you an edge at the beginning if the BoE thread is gated behind a rep).

Enchanting will be a good gold maker in wod because enchants will be how they let you customize stats and will be meant to be changed out spec by spec. But other than gold there is no point in any profession in wod. Alchemy will also be a good one for gold because people will still need flasks and pots. Everything else is mostly getting screwed on making gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Enchanting will be a good gold maker in wod because enchants will be how they let you customize stats and will be meant to be changed out spec by spec. But other than gold there is no point in any profession in wod. Alchemy will also be a good one for gold because people will still need flasks and pots. Everything else is mostly getting screwed on making gold.
    LOL. Not sure if you're intentionally trying to mislead people or if you simply can't see the opportunities based on some of the datamined items.

If Enchanting stays a high-volume market, it will probably be pretty hard to make gold off current enchants unless you're a camper or you're on a server with no campers. Mat exclusivity has been long gone and the last nail will be the font in the Enchanter's Study (unless you can't build the Study without having Enchanting, but then why put a font for non-enchanters in it?).

But there are things which can't be spammed by the thousand and which you should have a reasonable chance to sell - gear, pets, etc. If you have competitive guilds on your server, you can make the bulk of your gold fast and then relax and start reading patch notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    LOL. Not sure if you're intentionally trying to mislead people or if you simply can't see the opportunities based on some of the datamined items.

If Enchanting stays a high-volume market, it will probably be pretty hard to make gold off current enchants unless you're a camper or you're on a server with no campers. Mat exclusivity has been long gone and the last nail will be the font in the Enchanter's Study (unless you can't build the Study without having Enchanting, but then why put a font for non-enchanters in it?).

But there are things which can't be spammed by the thousand and which you should have a reasonable chance to sell - gear, pets, etc. If you have competitive guilds on your server, you can make the bulk of your gold fast and then relax and start reading patch notes.
    Are the best enchants going to be available in the enchanting building?

holy crud man, i have like 4 enchanters maxed out atm, that will kinda suck if they are all useless in wod.
    for that matter i have 3 engineer's 3 alchemists 1 bs, 1 lw, 4 tailorers, 1 inscriptionist and umm... 1 jewel crafter, ahhh.. did i cover it all, mostly all just to make junk to sell for making extra gold ....

what a waste of time i am getting the feeling............lol

doh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWildest View Post
    what a waste of time i am getting the feeling............lol

doh
    You can only have so many profession plots (3 I think), so you still get the benefit of professions as far as I can see. It's also worth noting that all manner of things can change, so don't make significant decisions based on an unfinished beta phase of development.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    You can only have so many profession plots (3 I think), so you still get the benefit of professions as far as I can see. It's also worth noting that all manner of things can change, so don't make significant decisions based on an unfinished beta phase of development.
    Gamedesign-wise, the plots are there to benefit the player.

If my paladin, who has enchanting and jewelcrafting, should upgrade his garrison, I will not use the plots for those 2 professions. Instead, I will use it for Inscription, Blacksmithing and Tailoring

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post

Here's one benefit between having the profession vs just having the garrison building of said profession: Production Capacity. With enough mats, an enchanter could make any of the enchants (once learned) whereas the enchanting building is limited on fast it can produce enchants.

So then, a player could spend the time to wait for all of their enchants or go to the AH to get their enchants. Given the eventual availability, I would venture to guess that the overall market will be lower (no more 1k+ enchants except for maybe the first few weeks, progression raiders) for everyone else especially with the crossfaction AH.

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    Gamedesign-wise, the plots are there to benefit the player.
    If my paladin, who has enchanting and jewelcrafting, should upgrade his garrison, I will not use the plots for those 2 professions. Instead, I will use it for Inscription, Blacksmithing and Tailoring
    Whoa there! That's certainly one approach (get access to professions you don't have on that character) but let's not forget that the small building plots (which are used for profession buildings) are also used for non-profession buildings (i.e. Storehouse and Salvage Yard). The storehouse not only provides access to your bank (and at higher levels, guild bank and void storage/transmog) but also increases work orders for other production buildings by 1 (2 at level 3). Basically it can help supercharge your other production buildings.

Additionally some buildings provide items that help your character in specific ways: Alchemy lab also sells certain recipes, LW building sells tents that give you the "well rested" buff when logging out (and presumably not in an Inn), BS building removes "wear & tear" durability loss (so you only get durability loss when you die), etc.

It definitely gives a bit more "flavor" as to which buildings you want in your garrison.
    Last edited by Alroxas; 2014-07-22 at 02:09 PM.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    So then, a player could spend the time to wait for all of their enchants or go to the AH to get their enchants. Given the eventual availability, I would venture to guess that the overall market will be lower (no more 1k+ enchants except for maybe the first few weeks, progression raiders) for everyone else especially with the crossfaction AH.
    The high-end Mists Enchants still go for more than 1,500g on many high population servers -- it's likely that Enchanting will, like Jewelcrafting, see the cost of individual enchants go up from a material perspective (as well as in terms of time invested, due to artificial gating) because of the proposed changes... not down. Nobody cares if Sha Crystals sell for 10g or 50g, so long as Dancing Steel still fills your pocketbook with heaping piles of gold.

Deleted
    How do you obtain the cosmetic enchants for transmogrification? If that is through enchanting I could see a big business in that for people. Who doesn't want to have a nice looking enchant on their weapon? Personally I would like Power Torrent back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Magewang View Post
    How do you obtain the cosmetic enchants for transmogrification? If that is through enchanting I could see a big business in that for people. Who doesn't want to have a nice looking enchant on their weapon? Personally I would like Power Torrent back again.
    Enchanting building in your garrison has them, which you don't need enchanting to get.

Deleted
    me personally wouldn't drop anything before knowing what really is up