LastLast
    drink sam adams
    thank me later

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    drink sam adams
    thank me later
    Sam Adams, the micro-brew pretender.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love all types of beer except IPA's and other bitters. I actually make beer bread a lot (just use beer instead of water in the recipe) and someone got me a 6 pack of IPA as a present, I tried one and didn't like it. I tried to use it in the bread and the bread was terrible as well.

I've known about IPA's for well over 10 years though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sam Adams, the micro-brew pretender.
    To quote family guy, it leaves an aftertaste of cigarette smoke and hooker spit.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    India Pale Ales are one of my favourites. Aside from craft lager, there is nothing better then a good brewed IPA. I am not sure what region of the world you are in OP, but here in Canada we have some pretty solid craft brewed IPA's. While Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is the recognized IPA in these parts. it's really not a true IPA, it lacks the hops heavy flavour of real IPA's. It's amusing that with the craft beer boom in Canada the last 10 years or so, the brewery actually made a beer that is a true IPA.

A good brew master understands the characteristics of a true IPA and knows just the right amount to make it taste like an IPA without the hops becoming the primary flavour in the beer. One of my cousins actually brews beer, he made one with ingredients that he imported from Australia, including apples and god damn was it ever good, perfect amount of hops and a sweet crisp flavour like it was carbonated apple cider. I could have pounded a six pack back if it weren't for the 7.1% alcohol content :P

Anyway, for the Canucks on the forum, I highly recommend the Flying Monkey's Brewery Smash Bomb Atomic IPA, 6.0%, it's a smooth full flavoured IPA with lots of hops in it. The alcohol content may make it a bit too bitter for some, as it is fairly bitter despite it not being that strong (not all strong beers are bitter if made right). I also like the Creemore Springs Hops and Bolts IPA from BC, that's a pretty solid beer. I highly doubt American's can find some of these craft beers, though Creemore isn't exactly a brand many craft beer drinkers attribute with being a craft brewery but they were probably one of the most successful startups prior to the craft beer boom. Muskoka Brewery also makes some solid beers too, the Detour and Mad Tom IPA are excellent beers.

Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    IPAs are a polar taste. You either like them or you hate them in my experience. People who tolerate hoppy flavors love them. Those who don't usually never will. But it's become a fad the past few years with the rise of good microbrews.

I'm not a fan of them. My tastes run toward more malty flavors than hoppy. But IPAs are very intense in flavor, so I understand why others love them.

I'll stick with Guinness. Why mess with perfection?
    Because Guinness has to be the worst beer I have ever had? :P

*Says that while wearing a Guinness t-shirt that he got from his previous job at a pub*

Honestly, I find stouts to be unbearably gross for some reason. Same goes for Sapporo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    To quote family guy, it leaves an aftertaste of cigarette smoke and hooker spit.
    Well I wouldn't know what hooker spit tastes like, but I've certainly never liked a Sam Adams.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just read an article in Beer Advocate magazine that I think answered this question pretty well.

It pretty much said that with the rise of more and more microbreweries and the huge fascination with craft beer, that a brewery's IPA or double IPA are typically their flagship beers because there's so many different ways you can brew them and different tastes you can get out of them while still keeping the distinct hoppy flavor that IPAs are known for. The IPA and double IPA from a microbrewery are the ones they'll usually spend the most time on to perfect and really make it their own so they're usually the ones that stand out and are the first people try.

I started out not liking IPAs. They were bitter and hoppy and I couldn't see myself finishing a single one ever. These days, with a bunch of my friends working at a local microbrewery, I've tasted more IPAs and double IPAs than I ever would have imagined. I started out with the ones in the local store: Sierra Nevada, Ranger IPA, Stone, etc. and over time I just came to love the taste of them, especially on tap.

I suggest giving them a solid try. Have a cool night with some friends, get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo, put on some good music, and just chill. I always tell people it's the first, maybe second gulp that's the roughest. Get through that and you'll find yourself downing them no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.

Well I wouldn't know what hooker spit tastes like, but I've certainly never liked a Sam Adams.
    Once when I was in the states I ordered a Sam Adams at a restaurant just to tie the whole murica experience together and I was pretty disappointed.

Overall just the wrong balance of malty and hopsy. It tasted like it was trying to be more than it really was (big label beer).

So it's the delusional narcissist of beers. As far as big label beers go I would have to either go for a Stella or an Innis and Gunn.

Colorado has some amazing ass craft beers though. If you ever go to Colorado and order a big label beer you are screwing yourself out of all the rocky mountains have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Overall just the wrong balance of malty and hopsy. It tasted like it was trying to be more than it really was (big label beer).

So it's the delusional narcissist of beers. As far as big label beers go I would have to either go for a Stella or an Innis and Gunn.
    Stella is a completely different thing from Sam Adams, and they don't try to pretend they're the same. I've never seen Innis and Gunn, so I can't compare.

But anywhere you go in the US, if you're at a good bar, ask the bartender about their local selections and you'll find some amazing gems.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Try Great Divide's Yeti Stout, or Founder's Breakfast stout, and you'll never drink Guinness again. If you can find it (or willing to spend enough for it) Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is just... Incredible doesn't even begin to do it justice. I'm a stout guy myself, and Guinness is seriously the bottom of the barrel unless you get it IN Ireland. Branch out, use an app like Untappd (almost like Yelp! for beers), and expand your horizons.
    I don't think I've had Great Divide before, but the other two are very good. Also, if you have the chance, get Old Rasputin on tap - it tastes like a completely different beer. I couldn't believe how smooth it was after having it bottled for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Dragons Milk.
    Not even once.
    This is another good one.

Agreed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why are they so popular now though when nobody even heard of them 5 years ago. Now it seems like its all you hear about
    IPAs have been a rage here since the late 90s at the least.

Generally, the more light you can see through your beer, the worse it is. Bud/Coors/et al are just water with yellow food dye.....
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2014-07-20 at 05:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Colorado has some amazing ass craft beers though. If you ever go to Colorado and order a big label beer you are screwing yourself out of all the rocky mountains have to offer.
    I live in Wyoming so I get the Colorado beer experience without the Colorado bullshit experience, yay!

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Wyoming so I get the Colorado beer experience without the Colorado bullshit experience, yay!
    People actually live in Wyoming????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    People actually live in Wyoming????
    It's quite nice if you aren't a fan of the big city and are ok with the vast majority of businesses being closed by 6pm.

Just, be kind.

Their popularity has varied in the UK. Around 10ish years ago a fairly big push on independent brewers and craft beers started.

It's a counter to the whole mainstream lager focused culture that's very different to the other alternatives like wines and cocktails.

The website is down for maintenance at the moment, but should it come back soon up see http://camra.org.uk/ for some information about the campaign for real ale.

Also try Punk IPA. Or anything by Brewdog. Or everything by Brewdog.

I'd also like it noted that in the height of electroclash culture I was going full on anti-hipster/too hipster to mention by drinking ale whilst everyone else was glamming it up with fancy-pants drinks.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-07-20 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's quite nice if you aren't a fan of the big city and are ok with the vast majority of businesses being closed by 6pm.
    Lol, I lived in Northern Colorado growing up, I spent a good amount of time in Wyoming. Just not a fan of the wind....

Nothing beats a lambic, no one can tell me otherwise!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I lived in Northern Colorado growing up, I spent a good amount of time in Wyoming. Just not a fan of the wind....
    Yeaaaaa, the wind I could do without. Other than that it's pretty nice, I'm rather happy to live near Colorado but not in Colorado. I grew up there too for a while, and I like the state, but it's almost as crazy as California, and I moved to Wyoming partly to get away from California crazy.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit I like most beers from Full Sail, but I am biased having lived near the brewery for several years.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeaaaaa, the wind I could do without. Other than that it's pretty nice.
    Wyoming wind gauge: stick crowbar out window and measure how far it bends...

Actually, I LOVE Sheridan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wyoming wind gauge: stick crowbar out window and measure how far it bends...

Actually, I LOVE Sheridan.
    I haven't gotten to go to Sheridan. I've been pretty broke and really don't travel much.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't gotten to go to Sheridan. I've been pretty broke and really don't travel much.
    Very beautiful country, very different from most of the south and eastern part of the state, actually has large trees. Not very big though, even by Wyoming standards.