Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    You hit them just as they are going out of range/you get CCed/whatever. They run away. Normally from that moment on - assuming they used a dispel on themselves to get rid of any DoTs - the out-of-combat would kick in and by the time they get behind a pillar or somewhere LoS to drink they are already ready to drink, instead they have to wait those 6 seconds, THEN get the out of combat timer. If you include the time it takes for projectiles in flight, you are likely looking at just under 10 seconds extra on top of the normal amount of time it takes to start drinking. Plus the few seconds it takes of drinking before it even begins returning any mana.

Those extra <10 seconds on top of the normal time means that getting drinks of will be insanely difficult to do. If you let a healer have that amount of time free and get nothing out of it, then that is your misplay. Even if its only getting a bunch of CCs out of your opponents so that when the healer finishes drinking everything is on DR, or you get a defensive cooldown out of your enemy, any number of small advantage can be gained. In arena, 10 seconds is quite a long time.

NB: Of course if I am wrong and the Mastery does have LoS and range requirements to work, then this isn't actually a thing, I'm just going by what appeared to be happening in beta streams I have watched. Really could use a confirmation on this.
    Last edited by mmoc63fa3da953; 2014-07-19 at 05:41 PM.

I still don't get it, a constant damage is better than another form of rng damage. With this constant damage hitting the target, it will help whittle down our enemies to make way for more hard-hitting damage from an LvB and Fulm. The fact that our mastery will scale with haste,crit, and multistrike will make our mastery even better of a stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shamantime View Post
    I still don't get it, a constant damage is better than another form of rng damage. With this constant damage hitting the target, it will help whittle down our enemies to make way for more hard-hitting damage from an LvB and Fulm. The fact that our mastery will scale with haste,crit, and multistrike will make our mastery even better of a stat.
    The old Mastery definitely had its benefits. The burst capabilities were really strong. However, if such burst does remain important, then we have Multi-Strike for that now. In my eyes, whilst everyone else was given Multi-Strike, we were given Mastery. And I'm pretty happy with what we received. At first I wasn't, it seemed thoroughly unimpressive. However, having seen it in action, seen the damage and the visuals and the 'feel' of the ability, I've changed my mind and am really looking forward to getting to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    The old Mastery definitely had its benefits. The burst capabilities were really strong. However, if such burst does remain important, then we have Multi-Strike for that now. In my eyes, whilst everyone else was given Multi-Strike, we were given Mastery. And I'm pretty happy with what we received. At first I wasn't, it seemed thoroughly unimpressive. However, having seen it in action, seen the damage and the visuals and the 'feel' of the ability, I've changed my mind and am really looking forward to getting to use it.
    Mhmm I was extremely happy that we got keep our mastery in the form of multistrike, and we got a new mastery. Great change, happy that Blizz thought we should keep our "spell-flinging niche"

NB: Of course if I am wrong and the Mastery does have LoS and range requirements to work, then this isn't actually a thing, I'm just going by what appeared to be happening in beta streams I have watched. Really could use a confirmation on this.
    it definitly has a range component (seems 40 yards). tested this already in a duell. not sure about los have to test it.

Those extra <10 seconds on top of the normal time means that getting drinks of will be insanely difficult to do. If you let a healer have that amount of time free and get nothing out of it, then that is your misplay. Even if its only getting a bunch of CCs out of your opponents so that when the healer finishes drinking everything is on DR, or you get a defensive cooldown out of your enemy, any number of small advantage can be gained. In arena, 10 seconds is quite a long time.
    this could work indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zixan View Post
    The Molten Earth has an average period of 2s/haste, but can vary by up to 4 seconds. These missiles can multistrike (which shoot off a mini missile, they look really cool like that.) These missiles can also crit. These missiles scale with every stat we have, other than stamina and versitility. Thats something to keep in mind.
    Currently a single Missile deals less than 1/3 of a Lvb for me, that is even with Mastery gear on it.

Since Multistrike is probably the way to go as Elemental, haste being generally a solid stat for Elemental, i doubt there is much room for going Mastery there.

Now, I've been playing with them on beta, and they are in their own sense bursty. They quite often will stop firing completely for 3 to 4 seconds, then all of the sudden 3 big missles, and 5 little missles will come out of the ground, all at once, and hit for more than I can do in with EB + instant Lava Burst on live. around 6 or 7 second worth of damage will all occur within 1 or 2 seconds. DoTs don't do that, at all. It will be very rare for your missiles to behave like a dot, and always fire every 2 seconds.
    So basically the "burst" of this Mastery is 100% out of anyones control?

I mean with the current Mastery on live i could at least reduce RNG by stacking Mastery and it was likely to happen when i burst.

Another thing to remember is that these missiles are completely GCD Free. They just go. So its NOT possible for you to fire two lava bursts, and their overloads, at the exact same time, Only one after another.
    Mostly because these Overloads deal more damage than these things, and is more likely to happen when i burst than these missiles all firing at once.

It's not a DoT in the sense that whomever you're attacking, WILL get hit by missiles. It cant be dispelled, and cant be prevented by stuns/etc.
    You see, this thing might actually backfire.

If this Mastery actually deals serious damage, as some of you keep saying, it could cause issues because serious damage that is unstoppable might lead to issues.

In PvP, if you haven't seen any missles fire in a few seconds, be ready for them to bombard the target.
    The great question here is, how do you pay attention to such a minor detail as those small bolts stop firing at your target and
    1.Do you have Lava Surge proc
    2.Do you have Fulmination stacks
    3.Do you have anything else to stack up burst on this one

Unlike any other of your abilities to burst down people, you cannot control it, you can't save it up or increase it's chance to happen.

Could it happen at the right moment? Sure it can, could it kill people? Maybe, but the way you paint it reminds me strongly of EotE in PvP before it was nerfed, super low chance for an Auto win and you know what happened there.

You wont be 100-0ing anyone in WoD, at least not how it is currently.
    And i'm repeating myself by saying that this will not favor Elemental.

Healing is much more stressed, they dont have the ability to easily top someone off, and in the same vein burst is heavily nerfed too.
    Let's see how this will look on live, shall we?

My prediction is that it fall in one direction, burst will be totally overpowered once again or things simply won't die until the healer runs oom.

high sustained damage are much more important
    Which is something where Elemental sucks once again, because:
    1.LB doesn't do much damage
    2.Elemental is now vulnerable as hell to pillar hugging in terms of hardcasts
    3.Melees

Elemental goes from doing no damage at all to doing a shitload of damage quite easily, it is a strength of this spec.

(even Bleeds can be Bubbled off)
    It will automatically fall off because you obviously switch target once a Pally goes into bubble.

so if you get it hitting a healer in arena they will never, ever be able to get a drink of unless you switch targets or they get out of range of you for the duration it lasts, PLUS the seconds it takes to get out of combat. That is really quite strong.
    Sounds good but rather situational as Elemental, you're not winning a game by oom'ing the enemy healer usually.

Secondly, it needs to be confirmed that it is intented that Molten Earth ignores LoS and Range.

Can someone at least say how this mastery is scaling from mastery. Like does it proc more often or hit harder because the blues only have stated that it acts like a dot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthari View Post
    Can someone at least say how this mastery is scaling from mastery. Like does it proc more often or hit harder because the blues only have stated that it acts like a dot.
    We've been given numbers. The below quote is from last week, so it is likely OOD exact number wise, but the theory is still the same. More Mastery increases the spellpower coefficient. Meaning more 'procs' (hits) come from Haste and Multi-Strike, its damage is increased by Crit, Spellpower and Mastery.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Theorycrafting Details for Molten Earth
    As long as you have attacked something within the last 6 sec, molten stone bolts will rise out of the ground periodically and fire at your most recently attacked target.

Period is 2sec/haste. Each tick, the bolt that it fires is offset by randomly up to 4sec/haste, to create visual variety/clustering, but still average to a 2sec/haste period.

Aborts firing if the target is dead or has a breaks-on-damage aura. Can crit, can multistrike. SP Coefficient is [MasteryPoints]*5%.
    If you are confused by what the offset means, it means that it doesn't do a tick of damage exactly every 2 seconds with 0 haste, sometimes it will cluster and do more, other times it can go without doing any damage for a while. It averages out to that 2sec/haste. This means you can still get pseudo-burst from it, by getting a 'cluster' of hits to go off, which then Multi-Strike and crit.
    Last edited by mmoc63fa3da953; 2014-07-19 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Currently a single Missile deals less than 1/3 of a Lvb for me, that is even with Mastery gear on it.
    Well you also don't fire a Lava Burst every 2 seconds, reduced by haste. What do you expect right there?If 3 hit at the same time it would be comparable, by your math, and that would be 6 seconds worth of missiles, all at once.

Since Multistrike is probably the way to go as Elemental, haste being generally a solid stat for Elemental, i doubt there is much room for going Mastery there.
    Don't be so quick to decide what the best stats are and aren't, not only is it still beta, but no one has done those numbers yet.

So basically the "burst" of this Mastery is 100% out of anyones control?
    I mean with the current Mastery on live i could at least reduce RNG by stacking Mastery and it was likely to happen when i burst.
    You're right that you can control you overloads on live with stacking more mastery. Stacking Haste would give you a similar affect as this. But remember, you can't exactly control that much of Elemental's damage anyway. The crits crit hard. 270% now. Crits are RNG, Mulstistrike is RNG, Rolling Thunder is RNG, Surge Procs are RNG. Your rotation has peaks and valleys, just like the mastery will. You can control when you cash in on some of those procs, true. But choosing the right time to cash in on them is what separates the good from the better. Unleash Flame is 30 seconds now, much greater window now, if you think about it.

Mostly because these Overloads deal more damage than these things, and is more likely to happen when i burst than these missiles all firing at once.
    Think of multistrike as extension of the spell cast. Similar to crits. You can't control when they do or don't happen. Also don't forget beta is beta, no numbers have been tuned yet. So saying that overloads do or don't do more damage is a little ahead right now. Lets just talk mechanics.

You see, this thing might actually backfire.

If this Mastery actually deals serious damage, as some of you keep saying, it could cause issues because serious damage that is unstoppable might lead to issues.
    I don't follow. and its only unstoppable after it actuall launches from its 'hovering' state. In which, they fire really fast. The target of the missle isn't decided until it "shoots" off. I'd imagine Blizz will put in place timers to prevent a missile breaking a hex when they were hexed mid flight. We'll see. That's why we're bug testing in beta.

The great question here is, how do you pay attention to such a minor detail as those small bolts stop firing at your target and
    1.Do you have Lava Surge proc
    2.Do you have Fulmination stacks
    3.Do you have anything else to stack up burst on this one

Unlike any other of your abilities to burst down people, you cannot control it, you can't save it up or increase it's chance to happen.
    You're exactly right, "Unlike any other of your abilities" Why is that a bad thing to have something new? No it wouldn't be easy to watch the rocks flying, get a weak aura or something. Skill cap! Hell, I'm just daydreaming about a ROFLGLOBAL..

Could it happen at the right moment? Sure it can, could it kill people? Maybe, but the way you paint it reminds me strongly of EotE in PvP before it was nerfed, super low chance for an Auto win and you know what happened there.
    That was before they greatly increased relative health pools to make it a longer fight.

And i'm repeating myself by saying that this will not favor Elemental.
    If you want to be able to 100-0 someone, thats just not going to happen 1v1. It would take planned concentrated burst in a 5v5. They are restructuring PvP to be slower paced. Don't plan on it.

Imagine if you had a target at 30%, not quite enough to hit them with that last Lava Burst. But out of now where, 4 missiles and 3 multistrike missles, hit him. 3 of which crit. Now he's at 12% health. Now that Lava Burst makes so much more sense. The fact that is uncontrollable makes it fun. If you want controllable Burst, go play a Mage and spec Inchanters Flow or whatever. Elemental is all about bursty playstyle

My prediction is that it fall in one direction, burst will be totally overpowered once again or things simply won't die until the healer runs oom.
    You're making assumptions again. Healing is being toned to be able to put health in just as fast as damage being taken, unless someone plays smarter.

Which is something where Elemental sucks once again, because:
    1.LB doesn't do much damage
    2.Elemental is now vulnerable as hell to pillar hugging in terms of hardcasts
    3.Melees
    1: Debatable
    2: As is every caster/healer/melee?
    3: Burritos.

[quote]Elemental goes from doing no damage at all to doing a shitload of damage quite easily, it is a strength of this spec.[quote]
    The up to 4s/haste offset is what emulates this exactly. Had they left it at 2s/haste with no variation, I'd agree with you perfectly. I think you're underestimating that variation.

The rest of the post is kinda moot points not related.

Well you also don't fire a Lava Burst every 2 seconds, reduced by haste. What do you expect right there?If 3 hit at the same time it would be comparable, by your math, and that would be 6 seconds worth of missiles, all at once.
    My point was that i need to stack Mastery to deal serious damage, which is obvious but considering the existence of other useful stats the possibility itself may not be the best option there.

Don't be so quick to decide what the best stats are and aren't, not only is it still beta, but no one has done those numbers yet.
    Multistrike is our Attunement stat by itself and on top of that Multistrikes deal more damage for Elemental.
    Haste has always been a solid stat for Elemental, especially at expansion release, considering 2.0 sec Lvb and 2.0 Cl, the loss of the Legendary Meta Gem, Haste seems very good.

Stacking Haste would give you a similar affect as this.
    Makes it more likely that fires off all at once?

It makes Molten earth more frequent yes, but they won't fire all at once because of Haste.

The crits crit hard. 270% now. Crits are RNG
    Partial bypass because Lvb.

Mulstistrike is RNG
    By stacking Multistrike you reduce the RNG rather easily.

Rolling Thunder is RNG
    With WoD not anymore, 100% chance.

Surge Procs are RNG.
    Reduction by multi dotting.

Your rotation has peaks and valleys, just like the mastery will.
    And my basic question remains if it's possible that easily to stop Molten earth from procc'ing for a few seconds and then to proc all at once at the right moment.

Think of multistrike as extension of the spell cast. Similar to crits. You can't control when they do or don't happen.
    I can reduce the Rng by stacking said stat, and it is more likely to trigger when im bursting because im obviously casting something that allows multistrike to trigger.

I don't follow. and its only unstoppable after it actuall launches from its 'hovering' state. In which, they fire really fast. The target of the missle isn't decided until it "shoots" off.
    By unstoppable i mean that the enemy is unable to prevent it from happening.

Why is that a bad thing to have something new?
    From my view it simply doesn't fit in the Elemental toolkit in PvP, that's the core point of this discussion.

If you ask me, give back the Lightning Capacitator Mastery, good for PvP, okay for AoE, if you want to solve the movement dps problem then finally realise what the problem is, Spiritwalkers Grace.

No it wouldn't be easy to watch the rocks flying, get a weak aura or something.
    I doubt that you can make Weak auras that tells you when those Molten earth bolts didn't hit anyone for a few seconds.

Skill cap!
    If somebody is able to pay attention to this detail in a Arena match with all those animation shit already flying around and actually properly reacting on it, he's really good.

They are restructuring PvP to be slower paced. Don't plan on it.
    And im still saying that Elemental will not be favored by this, your toolkit is around bursting, that is simply how it is.

If you want controllable Burst, go play a Mage and spec Inchanters Flow or whatever. Elemental is all about bursty playstyle
    The isse here is that i seemingly get an ability that bursts whenever it wants, that is a huge difference to the other abilities in my toolkit.

You're making assumptions again. Healing is being toned to be able to put health in just as fast as damage being taken, unless someone plays smarter.
    It is simply based off experience.

Because the first PvP Season of any Expansion was unbalanced as hell, but right now i have the feeling you want to tell me that it won't.

1: Debatable
    A filler that will hit hard? Think through it what this would mean if Lb would actually deal serious damage and how much Lvb must do if they want to keep the current damage relation between these 2 spells.

2: As is every caster/healer/melee?
    I think DoT specs and Melee with a good snare removal aren't that much affected by pillar hugging as Elemental is.

3: Burritos.
    Tell me, are you doing "high sustained damage" while a Melee is up on your ass?
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2014-07-20 at 07:27 PM.

I think its important that you'd have to stack lots of mastery to make substantial damage for any spec. I'm not saying its ever going to be a 1 shot based mechanic. It never should be. It could be too unavoidable by most classes. Remember, its a Mastery!, not a core mechanic like Lava Burst is.

If I recall correctly, your main complaints are that it doesn't match Elemental's toolkit, in that its too DoTy, and is too consistent.

It matches our toolkit, because in essence it is mechanically literally like a mirror image of our toolkit, damage wise. Only, its automated.

It is NOT, I repeat, NOT consistent damage. I don't know if you've watched it on beta, but it does NOT behave like a dot, and shouldn't be treated as such. If you did, you'd be playing badly. Trust me, I thought it was dumb as well, but once I really took the 4s/haste variation into consideration, it really moved into good light. DoT's are very preventable and predictable in damage. If someone has SW:P on them, they're going to take the same damage every few seconds. Repeatedly. A simple HoT will counteract that, if nothing else comes into play. The missiles on the other had, have no buff/debuff. The healer/player involved will just start taking damage.

More on the variation; No. It is not controllable. And it shouldn't be. I'm not saying that you'd be controlling it. A lot of Elemental's Burst is, in fact, uncontrollable. RNG. My point with 270% crit, is when Lightning Bolts, and Elemental Blasts crit. Obviously not Lava Burst. Yes, Rolling Thunder is 100% now instead of 60%. It also stacks up to 20, instead of 7. About 300% charge time. If you combine the (rough estimates, of course) the 100% chance increase, with Lava Bursts adding to it, and the fact that it can trigger 3 times per cast scaling with multistrike, rather than 2, it may or may not scale faster or slower. Depending on your multistrike, it still may vary by 5-15 seconds on how long it takes to charge, if you're standing still casting damaging spells. Fact of the matter is, even with 100% chance now, its still quite RNG-y. Ultimatum, If you spells do don't crit, do don't multistrike is uncontrollable, and it does vary your damage, even if you remove Lava Surge and Fulminations from the equation.

As far as including Lava Surge and Fulminations, that would be shock management. You're smart to increase Flame Shocks to increase surge procs. Good news, Surge Procs will now benefit Fulmination, rather than slow it down with opportunity costs. This gameplay isn't going away.

Lets move on to the "Control-ability" with the Multistrike stat. You stated that by increasing your multistrike rating, you can increase the chance for it to happen, thus, increase the overall damage that multistrike does. You're more able to depend on that multistrike occurring, and therefore you're benefited from the stats being there. The fact that it has a higher chance of occurring, means that it occurs more often. Haste will give you the same reaction. If you cast the spells more often, they will occur more often. Now, you're looking for the dependability of that burst being there. Understood.

The way the missiles occur, is they are scheduled to be cast within an 8 second (reduced by haste) 'window'. These 'windows' are placed, one after another, every 2 seconds (also reduced by haste). What this does is every missile can be moved by up to 2 missiles before or after the center of its 'window'. So if you take a DoT, it will occur at 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 seconds. Reduced by haste. These missiles do not behave like this. They may occur at 0.5, 0.9, 4, 6.5 etc. It occures like popcorn.

The beauty of the way this 'variation' works, is in the simple fact that the 'windows' shrink, as well as the average time between missiles. At 100% haste, the missiles will occur every second on average, with only a 4 second window maximum. So the same number of missiles will potentially happen in half the 'window', You'll have a higher standard density of missiles hitting the target. There will be more that clump together. Don't forget that these can multistrike as well.

If you want to stack Haste and Multistrike, do so. The glorious thing about this Mastery, isn't that "More mastery means more damage" This mastery will scale very well with Crit, Haste, Multistrike, AND Mastery. All by itself. Before you say "every class' mastery scales with those", remember that this is no different. Sure, you could apply a flat buff that increases our nature and fire damage dealt by X% Yada, yada yada. Thats boring. Very very boring.

My point is that there isn't really the downsides that you're claiming. It has the benefits of "increases the damage you deal" while not having to deal that damage actively. Imagine being a bursty caster, and being a constatly bursty caster.

I like this Mastery, I think it melts perfectly with Elemental, and that it should stick. I hope you end up agreeing, but I would understand if you didn't. Its important to remember it's a secondary stat. It will not solve all of our problems. Our benefits are being bursty. We aren't gaining that two fold, and we aren't loosing it. Our downsides are that it takes smart hardcasting and interrupt baiting. That's not going to change. How we handle those, may change, but they will still be our strengths/weaknesses.

Shadow Priests are a DoT class for spread pressure with the occasional burst, but can still be shut down in their own way. Sure they can do dot damage while they're LoS, but it will be reduced damage (not full rotational damage). Thats a benefit of DoT classes. However, outside of their burst, there's a low chance they'll be putting too much pressure, until the next DP, at least. Keep in mind that Shamans are Shamans, they have strengths and Weaknesses. Warlocks are the same, Priests are the same, Druids, Dks, etc. Blizzard has to implement an ability that will be interesting and fresh, but not venture outside of Elemental's strengths and weaknesses. Molten Earth is almost literally a mirror image of our rotation against a target, automated, at no coast, and nearly unavoidable, if handled correctly. That's pretty neat if taken in light.
    Last edited by Zixan; 2014-07-21 at 07:04 AM.

@Krall

You biggest concerns seem to be that the new mastery is not appropriate to Elemental playstyle in pvp. Then isn't your premise flawed because you are assuming that WoD pvp playstyle will be the same as current pvp playstyle?

With health pools doubling, removal of resilience, introduction of versatility DR, changes and mergers of CC and interrupt mechanics...so much is changing that to assume your playstyle will be the same is unwise at best. Yeah - maybe ele shaman wont be the big burst killer anymore, maybe they will turn into more of a constant pressure class, in which case, this new mastery does fit the new pvp playstyle. Way too early to tell.

(and as Zixan explains - there is still plenty of potential burst with the new mastery, its just more RNG than the current version)
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2014-07-21 at 02:45 PM.

You know everyone is talking about the new mastery but no one is talking about how we cant get interrupted anymore while Ascendance is active and when we wind shear we get a free lava surge proc which is going to be insane considering how our new mastery works, which will make us have a small burst window every 15-20 seconds and then every 3 min with Ascendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthari View Post
    You know everyone is talking about the new mastery but no one is talking about how we cant get interrupted anymore while Ascendance is active and when we wind shear we get a free lava surge proc which is going to be insane considering how our new mastery works, which will make us have a small burst window every 15-20 seconds and then every 3 min with Ascendance.
    I think everyone is talking about the new Mastery because this topic is called "New Elemental mastery and Multistrike Attunement!!!", and is about the Elemental Spec's new Mastery.
    If you want to talk about Ascendance I'd advise doing it in a different topic.

It matches our toolkit, because in essence it is mechanically literally like a mirror image of our toolkit, damage wise.
    Just because it is a mirror of your toolkit doesn't mean it works with your toolkit, to exaggarate this assumption, it would be like saying that more people of the same spec yields more dps because they are the same and synergize because of that.

It is NOT, I repeat, NOT consistent damage. I don't know if you've watched it on beta, but it does NOT behave like a dot, and shouldn't be treated as such. If you did, you'd be playing badly. Trust me, I thought it was dumb as well, but once I really took the 4s/haste variation into consideration, it really moved into good light. DoT's are very preventable and predictable in damage. If someone has SW:P on them, they're going to take the same damage every few seconds. Repeatedly. A simple HoT will counteract that, if nothing else comes into play. The missiles on the other had, have no buff/debuff.
    You have to realise how Dots work in WoD, they are by far more inconsistent in terms of damage than they are now, because of dynamic scaling, the frequency of ticks now directly updates with your current haste, same goes for Crit, Mastery and so forth, also the introduction of multistrike makes dot ticks much more random in terms of damage.

Is it a Dot effect? Not exactly, but the Dots comparison is closer than some people are suggesting.

More on the variation; No. It is not controllable. And it shouldn't be. I'm not saying that you'd be controlling it. A lot of Elemental's Burst is, in fact, uncontrollable.
    You do not understand what im trying to say.

When im looking at Fulmination for example, even if i reach 20 stacks, i can keep them up and save them until i get a Lava Surge proc, a similiar thing is not possible with Molten Earth.

The basic difference between Fulmination / Lava Surge to "Molten earth burst" is that Fulmination / Lava Surge occur at random points like Molten Earth but i am in the position to decide when i unleash this burst.

You see, the randomness of Elemental burst isn't just about the numbers that are occuring but rather when it is able to occur, but the big difference is that Lava and Fulmination still give a small window to properly prepare and execute this burst.

You don't need cd's like a Frost Mage to burst, but you sure need some kind of minor window to go on and say "Now i'm going to burst!", at least to prepare your mates to properly react on it.

Before you say "every class' mastery scales with those", remember that this is no different.
    I think it is no lie that Multistrike is slightly better for Elemental than most classes.

Sure this Mastery scales with Crit / Haste / Multistrike, if it wouldn't scale with those stats we would have a slight issue there.

But if it scales "very well" with those stats needs to shown, because under "very well" i understand that it scales much better than the average spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    You biggest concerns seem to be that the new mastery is not appropriate to Elemental playstyle in pvp. Then isn't your premise flawed because you are assuming that WoD pvp playstyle will be the same as current pvp playstyle?
    I'm repeating myself by saying that Elemental toolkit is made for killing people quickly, so yeah, from my view it would be a logical assumption that in a PvP scenario where bursting people down no longer works breaks Elemental in PvP.

so much is changing that to assume your playstyle will be the same is unwise at best.
    Your playstyle also depends on your toolkit, if everything else around you changes you can just hope that you can make something out of your toolkit that works in this new enviroment.

If you are a burst spec in an enviroment where everything is about control and oom'ing the enemy healer, then you sure have a problem.

Yeah - maybe ele shaman wont be the big burst killer anymore, maybe they will turn into more of a constant pressure class, in which case, this new mastery does fit the new pvp playstyle. Way too early to tell.
    Unlikely to happen because they had to rework what this spec is basically about, especially in PvP, trading off low damage spikes with high damage spikes.

That is also why this Mastery isn't working for Elemental in PvP from my view, it sure fits into this new PvP system they want to build but Elemental lacks the basis to execute this kind of play correctly.

I'm repeating myself by saying that Elemental toolkit is made for killing people quickly, so yeah, from my view it would be a logical assumption that in a PvP scenario where bursting people down no longer works breaks Elemental in PvP.
    It is the direction the game is going and we are going to suffer for it. I can however use your argument to claim that in that new environment we will strive because we will be less susceptible to burst and control ourselves. Also, because of off-healing, Shamanistic Rage, Glyph of Lightning Shield, and high armor, Elemental shamans by nature are one of the best specs at mitigating sustained moderate/low damage.
    Tuning hasn't happened yet. We might find playstyles, and builds where we can trade sustained damage for burst. I can see a Multistrike/Crit Liquid Magma build providing the highest burst. I predict Lava Burst will play a much smaller direct role in bursting than it did in MoP and it will simply be a generator for Lightning Shield charges.

Quote Originally Posted by whyabadi View Post
    Also, because of off-healing
    Be careful with that one because self heal will drain your mana.

and high armor
    Armor isn't a big factor anymore.

Pretty much every Melee spec can somehow bypass a good portion of your Armor.

Warrior -> Collossus smash / Ignite Weapon
    Death Knight -> Shadow / Frost Damage
    Paladin -> Mastery / Exorcism
    Feral -> Bleeds
    Monk -> Tiger palm 30% arp buff
    Rogue -> Assa poison bypasses armor by itself and Sub Rogues have Find Weakness / Bleeds
    Hunter -> SV deals lot of magic damage, MM have Chim shot

Pretty much every physical damage dealer has access to a decent amount of magical damage and or armor bypassing damage.

I mean Elemental can tank some damage, but what is your actual goal by that?
    Currently it is simply to survive until you get an opportunity to burst somebody and put them on pressure, but in WoD this will seemingly not work, your sustained damage while being focused is far too low to put any kind of trouble on the enemy healer.

I predict Lava Burst will play a much smaller direct role in bursting than it did in MoP and it will simply be a generator for Lightning Shield charges.
    I doubt that, Lava burst by itself is a heavy hitter because of auto crit, lvb hitting for a weak amount would screw this spec and fuck Ascendance.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2014-07-21 at 05:29 PM.

Be careful with that one because self heal will drain your mana.
    Not the case in WoD, but can definitely change.
    Armor isn't a big factor anymore.

Pretty much every Melee spec can somehow bypass a good portion of your Armor.
    That is true. It would be unfair if they didn't.
    I mean Elemental can tank some damage, but what is your actual goal by that?
    Currently it is simply to survive until you get an opportunity to burst somebody and put them on pressure, but in WoD this will seemingly not work, your sustained damage while being focused is far too low to put any kind of trouble on the enemy healer.
    Lightning Shield (glyph of Reactive Shielding), Molten Earth, instant Lava Burst granting Lightning Shield charges, Storm Elemental or Liquid Magma, better Fulmination, Purge. We have a healthy amount of instant offensive spells.

I doubt that, Lava burst by itself is a heavy hitter because of auto crit, lvb hitting for a weak amount would screw this spec and fuck Ascendance.
    Crits will deal less damage in pvp. Keeping Ascendance at the same level for pve would mean that it will be substantially weaker in pvp. We have also lost Elemental Focus (Clearcasting) which had 100% uptime during Ascendance.

Not the case in WoD, but can definitely change.
    A single Healing Surge costs more than 3 times of a single LB, considering that Freecast is gone, Rolling thunder gone, TS Mana reg as well, you will sooner or later run oom by casting too many heals.

Lightning Shield (glyph of Reactive Shielding)
    Using Lightning Shield glyph locks out Reactive shielding Glyph, you have to choose between those 2 glyphs.

Storm Elemental
    You count a 5 Minute CD for sustained damage?

Liquid Magma
    Presumed to be ground based and not target, secondly it can be easily countered by destroying the fire totem.

also, deals damage to random targets, not good for pvp.

Crits will deal less damage in pvp. Keeping Ascendance at the same level for pve would mean that it will be substantially weaker in pvp. We have also lost Elemental Focus (Clearcasting) which had 100% uptime during Ascendance.
    The problem here is that without Lvb doing halfway serious damage you can dump Elemental for PvP anyway, Fulmination itself will not be doing enough pressure nor you can generate 19charges quickly enough.

Elemental without Lvb would be like Frost without Ice lance, it is your bread and butter skill in PvP.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2014-07-21 at 09:01 PM.

The abilities that Elemental and Enhancement got for level 100 talents are so lackluster, Blizzard clearly put no thought into them, and unlike other hybrid specs our talents don't even vary between our damage specs. Druids vary, Monks vary, hell even Mages vary.

Increased Shock damage seems so lackluster and looks like they spent 1/2 a sec coming up with the ability.
    Storm Elemental is just another Elemental, nothing new.
    Liquid Magma I was actually looking forward to but, once again a lackluster talent that can easily be avoid in PvP and even in PvE.