Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Elite: Dangerous

Kinda surprised I didn't see a thread here.
    So, yesterday the multiplayer beta started for the standard beta backers. I just played it for about 10 minutes before going to bed, but it looks gorgeous and plays well.

There's definitely a lot of depth, and many buttons to learn. There's not really any tutorial yet, so most of the things you either have to find out yourself or check using let's plays or something.

Here's some video's in case anyone's interested: http://elite.frontier.co.uk/media/#video-gallery

At the moment it seems to be a mix between a sim and a actiongame. Looking forward to playing more. Any of you playing?

Not in the beta but looking forward to try it at release ..... i like space games and this looks fun tbh.

Deleted
    I have been looking forwards to this for some time, not a backer but if I could justify the cash outlay to my wife I would have been

Really enjoying what I've seen so far. A definite hard sci-fi vibe to their aesthetics.

Last edited by 1001; 2014-07-30 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Image link messed up

I don't have that kind of money to throw at a beta test, but I'm looking forward to playing the release a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that this game cant pull me on is the moving in space.
    It doesnt fell like you are piloting a ship at all.
    http://shrani.si/f/1b/p9/2qNzXYvV/compario1.png
    http://shrani.si/f/2/CS/1hZzf6XX/compario2.png

Its probaly stupid cockpit that looks the same in every ship. (x-3 has some great mods for that)
    http://i.imgur.com/wASRpsH.jpg
    http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5...creen00004.png
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched some videos yesterday and agree it looks really pretty. But I couldn't find out what you actually do other then fly around and dock. Whats the aims / objectives?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    LFR can be too easy for individual players, but individual players get lumped with 24 other random people, and it's pretty much certain that in 25 random people you'll have at least one guy who makes you wonder how he managed to switch his computer on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebslack View Post
    I watched some videos yesterday and agree it looks really pretty. But I couldn't find out what you actually do other then fly around and dock. Whats the aims / objectives?
    It's an open world game where you're not tied down to any particular activity, so essentially you can do whatever you please. Be a Pirate, bounty hunter, trader, missioner, explorer etc.
    I guess the ultimate goal would be to get 'Elite' pilot status. Bear in mind that there's a lot of stuff that isn't implemented at this stage.
    The design discussion forums shows the intended scope - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I hadn't seen the game had gone down in price so, I caved. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Iarann View Post
    I have been looking forwards to this for some time, not a backer but if I could justify the cash outlay to my wife I would have been
    I did the 'buy first and beg for forgiveness afterwards'. Next step is getting her on board (her own ship) as well.

Good lord, I'm using the entirety of my keyboard to fly these things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Good lord, I'm using the entirety of my keyboard to fly these things.
    I have a very cheap Thrustmaster T16000m and it works really nicely. It's a very cheap joystick that gets really good reviews. Bought it for about 40/50euro's.
    However, just to get the full experience I just got TrackIR and ordered a CH throttle stick (also for other games such as Rise of Flight), but I easily got by with just that joystick. The other stuff is mostly for immersion.

Yesterday I also downloaded a nifty program called Voice Attack, which lets you put in commands with your microphone. This works extreeeeemely well, although I'm not sure if I would play like that when my girlfriend is in the house as well ('luckily' she lives in another country at the moment ). For example, I put in a command that when I say 'Landing', the ship will deploy its landing gear and reduce its speed to minimal. Should reduce the amount of buttons you need!

Recommended!

@Rebslack: After playing for a day I must say your point has quite some merit in it at the moment. The world feels a bit 'empty' and to me there's not so much to do yet. Of course it's still beta, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it already if you're not into 'dogfighting'.

It's all good, I enjoy somewhat complicated space sims. And I've been missing one since Rebirth crashed and burned last year.

Deleted
    Oh boy, I remember this game from my early days of computing.
    I can easily see me getting lost in this for a long, long time
    After watching a video, Looks Like I will be getting a new Joystick and throttle set up, and finally have a reason to invest in an OR headset
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2014-07-31 at 08:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    It's all good, I enjoy somewhat complicated space sims. And I've been missing one since Rebirth crashed and burned last year.
    Rebirth is actually starting to shape up. Far from perfect still, but I think there might be a future for it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Rebirth is actually starting to shape up. Far from perfect still, but I think there might be a future for it yet!
    I played it last month. It still runs like crap on my system, despite me having upgraded GPU, RAM, and SSD since the game's launch. Plus it somehow managed to wreck my headphone software. Still not sure how the hell that happened, but it did. I'm sure it'll be a decent game some day but I don't see it happening on this side of 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I'll get this game at some point. I loved the earlier Elite games. I'm just sort of done with the whole pre-purchase, pay-for-beta, nonsense.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

So I'm watching a stream with a guy who has hooked up the voice command software thing that you can use with this game. He's in the middle of a landing in Azeban and talking to people on the stream, and suddenly the voice command decided he told it to engage afterburners. Inside the station. Hilarity ensued.

Latest Newsletter confirms mining is on the way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Latest Newsletter confirms mining is on the way.

Mining was already confirmed, but now they just had a nice screen to show with it
    I decided to not play this game too much yet. It's kind of barebones. And just going from place to place, getting interdicted, docking for fuel, going to places isn't super interesting to me (yet).

It all plays very well though!