Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What is considered hardcore/Casual in terms of hours played?

What is the general consensus for hours played a week for hardcore and casual.

I personally consider myself casual. I play 10-15 hours a week easily. Sometimes more on the weekend if time allows.

What are others opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure, as I don't take casual/Hardcore in the term of how long you play a week.

Hardcore / Casual is a playstyle for me. I am considering myself casual, I play an average of 5-6 hours a day.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the time played. It's how you use the time you play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I am considering myself casual, I play an average of 5-6 hours a day.
    Really.
    Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhalerius View Post
    Really.
    Come on now.
    its not the time, but what you do with the time. If you spend 6 hours a day farming, or what ever i would not say they are hardcore. But if they were heroic raiding that many hours a day in a guild with others and participating in scheduled events where they were expected to show - id say they were hard core.

Damn you Kilipi - beat me to it.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    its not the time, but what you do with the time. If you spend 6 hours a day farming, or what ever i would not say they are hardcore. But if they were heroic raiding that many hours a day in a guild with others and participating in scheduled events where they were expected to show - id say they were hard core.

If you spend on average five/six hours a day playing, you're not casual.
    You may not be hardcore, but you're not casual.

Really.
    Come on now.
    I was teh same at times, but 80% of that time was just spent chatting. Even when I logged in everyday I didn't necessarily do something related to the game everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    But still it's more casual than hardcore if you for example just level up alts for 6 hours a day. You still might not know anything about the game for example. 'Cause I'd say one thing about hardcores is that they know what they are doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, it is about people how they identify with the terms casual and hardcore. I don't see it as time spent, I see it as your playstyle. 1 raid a week, casual, 3 raids a week (or more), hardcore. Own opinion of course.

But really, I find myself casual. I raid, sit back with a movie and such. I run about the worlds reading the books (used to do so, till I read them all). I fly about looking at places I find just worth remembering (Ulduar train, SSC Bridge, Leaky pipe discussion in DM etc.). I don't farm anymore, I do it on an on/off basis. I have no hurry, I do my caps over the week, casual and relaxed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    But still it's more casual than hardcore if you for example just level up alts for 6 hours a day. You still might not know anything about the game for example. 'Cause I'd say one thing about hardcores is that they know what they are doing.
    Oh, I do know what I do, I just tend to shut up till it's needed. I don't see it as hardcore to know what you are doing. If you now know all the theory crafting and BiS list, then you would be closer to hardcore.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, I do know what I do, I just tend to shut up till it's needed.
    You can be hardcore player without being a douche. Shocking, I know.

Do you people really think you can play for four+ hours a day and in any way fit the definition of "casual"?
    HOW CAN YOU KILL
    THAT WHICH HAS NO LIFE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Time is not an indication of hardcore or casual.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Time is not an indication of hardcore or casual.
    Yes it is.

Casual/hardcore doesn't mean how good you are, it means how much time you spend.

I'm online for about 9 hours a week. I heroic clear twice in that timeframe. I am currently a casual player, playing at a high skill level.

Casual just means you're not on as much, not that you suck/what you're doing isn't hard.

Whats funny is the person that mentioned alts. When the expansion launches i'll be playing hardcore, almost every waking moment i'm not at work, but all i'll be doing is leveling alts and doing the short gear grind there will be before raiding opens up. I'll also be hardcore with my battle pets once that initial alt zerg is over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    You can be hardcore player without being a douche. Shocking, I know.
    Yeah, it's amazing, isn't it? Besiddes, I enjoy myself. I don't feel the need to correct everyone as some others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post

I would say they are hardcore. That's a lot of time to be spending in-game, no matter what you are doing with it.

To me, I consider someone hardcore if they are logging in pretty much whenever they have free time. These are usually the people with 50 alts at max level and max professions that are all heroic geared. (An over exaggeration of course.)

Myself, I think that I am more casual. I log in only a couple hours a day, if that, on non-raid nights. But for raid nights I'll often be online for the 4 hours of raid + hours before and after preparing for the night. So I guess if that's hardcore in your mind, that's fine. But I spend more free time outside of WoW than I do in it.

Really.
    Come on now.
    I play anywhere between 2 and 10 hours a day myself.

Do you people really think you can play for four+ hours a day and in any way fit the definition of "casual"?
    HOW CAN YOU KILL
    THAT WHICH HAS NO LIFE?
    I think the question is how do you kill that which has no comprehension

*throws dictionary*
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is.
    No it isn't.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

HOW CAN YOU KILL
    THAT WHICH HAS NO LIFE?
    So do you troll everywhere you go or just here on MMO-C?