Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

EA Access....what do you think?

I'm not sure if there has been another thread started on this topic or not. I searched for one but didn't really find anything. Apparently EA has announced a new subscription service that aims to try and convert more people over to the all-digital bandwagon. And it is only coming out for the Xbox One console.

Links:
    http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/?_o=42032...us-pbm-g-brand
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...-one-ea-access

What do you all think about it? Good? Bad? Meh?

Seems like they're delivering some decent value for the price.

Honestly, I have zero interest in it, but if there are folks that get value out of it from discounted games and exclusive/early access to content, sure.

Sony was apparently not interested in the EA Access pass. Not sure that was the best move on their part, but we'll see how it all plays out. For sports games fans this is seeming to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seems like they're delivering some decent value for the price.

Honestly, I have zero interest in it, but if there are folks that get value out of it from discounted games and exclusive/early access to content, sure.

Sony was apparently not interested in the EA Access pass. Not sure that was the best move on their part, but we'll see how it all plays out. For sports games fans this is seeming to be a good thing.
    They didnt want it so they could push thier own version of it. Pretty much the whole reason right there.

Not sure how true it is, but I had heard they turned it down because it would give to much competition to their own PS Now thingy. Like I said, not really sure if that's true, but it does kind of make sense.

Looks like another cash grab with EA's trademark on it.

Deleted
    I think it's actually okay. If I had an Xbox One I wouldn't be instant buying but I would definitely be looking at the titles as they came out and considering it, because $30 a year is not breaking the bank. At launch, EA Access is listed as having 4 games, none of which I would be interested in, so would be pointless. If you were about to go out and buy any of those 4 startup games then it would be a nobrainer to buy the subscription.

Playstation Now is the same theory but applied to the entire catalogue and supposedly will come with over 100 PS3 games available on the PS4 through the compatibility method of streaming. That seems like it would be better value at a starting base, but the pricing model is all over the place for new releases (have to rent new releases per title).

Deleted
    Best of EA isn't really saying much, atleast to me, but I'm not the whole playerbase.
    Alice: Madness Returns has been the last good game for me that EA had anything to do with.
    Not really constructive posting, welp.

when ever EA does something im skeptical at best

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    They didnt want it so they could push thier own version of it. Pretty much the whole reason right there.
    Until they come out with their own version, sure. Unless you're talking about PS Now, which is a fantastic idea with a horrible pricing scheme that has next to nothing to do with EA Access in terms of what it offers.

I had seen in an article that they were saying that if you subscribe to EA Access and buy a certain amount of brand new games from EA over the course of that year, the discount you get on the games actually pays for the sub itself and then some (once again, depending on how many of their new games you buy in that year). I think the service when it first starts off may not necessarily be worth it, but as they add more and more new games to it, it would definitely be worth looking into.

Deleted
    I wonder how long i will be before the differences of a PC and a "next-gen" console will be so miniscule that one of them will simply sieze to exist.

Who am i kidding consoles will allways lag behind in hardware

Until they come out with their own version, sure. Unless you're talking about PS Now, which is a fantastic idea with a horrible pricing scheme that has next to nothing to do with EA Access in terms of what it offers.
    Yeah. I keep seeing people on other sites comparing the two services to each other, even though they aren't really comparable. But I guess it's the closest thing those people have to compare it to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    I wonder how long i will be before the differences of a PC and a "next-gen" console will be so miniscule that one of them will simply sieze to exist.

Who am i kidding consoles will allways lag behind in hardware
    Yeah, they will always lag behind in hardware. But I honestly don't see consoles ever being phased out, at least not in the near future. There are still WAY to many people out there that don't know the first thing about a PC and how to play games on them. My wife being a perfect example. She LOVES playing on the Xbox One but refuses to touch a gaming PC for actual gaming purposes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I had seen in an article that they were saying that if you subscribe to EA Access and buy a certain amount of brand new games from EA over the course of that year, the discount you get on the games actually pays for the sub itself and then some (once again, depending on how many of their new games you buy in that year). I think the service when it first starts off may not necessarily be worth it, but as they add more and more new games to it, it would definitely be worth looking into.
    The problem is that EA does not release that many new games per year. I think the only confirmed release for the next 12 months other than the 4 games already listed under the sub is Dragon Age Inquisition? So it's not like you have the option of buying that many games for it to save money.

The other issue is that many console gamers buy hard disc copies because brand new console games retain a very high trade in value/resale value for several months after release. You can buy a game for $60, complete it in 1-2 weeks and trade it in for $40 store credit. If you buy them digitally using your EA Access discount you have locked them to your account and lost the resale value; one of the reasons that digital purchases are way lower on consoles than PCs.

Deleted
    I bought EA game in 2009 last time (as a gift for my sis). I'm trying avoid their products as fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Yeah. I keep seeing people on other sites comparing the two services to each other, even though they aren't really comparable. But I guess it's the closest thing those people have to compare it to.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they will always lag behind in hardware. But I honestly don't see consoles ever being phased out, at least not in the near future. There are still WAY to many people out there that don't know the first thing about a PC and how to play games on them. My wife being a perfect example. She LOVES playing on the Xbox One but refuses to touch a gaming PC for actual gaming purposes.
    The trend, as i see it at least, is that the consoles become more and more complex. Trying harder and harder to become a pc, without taking that final leap.
    I say this as a guy who hasnt owned a console since my Nintendo 64. The other day i was over at my friends house and was litterally having problems opening up a game on his xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The problem is that EA does not release that many new games per year. I think the only confirmed release for the next 12 months other than the 4 games already listed under the sub is Dragon Age Inquisition? So it's not like you have the option of buying that many games for it to save money.

The other issue is that many console gamers buy hard disc copies because brand new console games retain a very high trade in value/resale value for several months after release. You can buy a game for $60, complete it in 1-2 weeks and trade it in for $40 store credit. If you buy them digitally using your EA Access discount you have locked them to your account and lost the resale value; one of the reasons that digital purchases are way lower on consoles than PCs.
    I agree. Which is why I said that it probably won't be worth the sub until they get more games released.

And I understand where you are coming from on the whole physical copy/resale thing. But from the way I understand it, this is just EA's way to start trying to get more people use to all digital transactions. They're claiming it helps the developers more, although generally, it just means more money in their pockets :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes digital copies, if you lose your account those games you bought are gone. If you get banned, those games are gone. If they decide to shut down that service, those games. They are gone. Fuck that, physical copies.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is gona use this service.
    It was pretty much the same with that shop thingy for pc.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    No one is gona use this service.
    It was pretty much the same with that shop thingy for pc.
    I wouldn't say no one. There are already a lot of people through out the internet who have said they are seriously interested in this and are willing to give it a go and see how it pans out. Obviously, some of them could be lying through their teeth, but I guarantee you that more people than you think will at least try it out.

And if you buy enough EA games at launch over the course of a year, the service actually pays for itself through the discounts you receive.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-08-06 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In translation:

If you buy enough of our poop games over the course of a year, you will get some usles discounts for a games that are even more poop.

I hardly belive they will put good stuff for low price.
    Don't sweat the details!!!