Deleted

[Enhancement] Lightning Shield and AoE in WoD [Suggestion]

Greetings friends. I've been thinking about Lightning Shield not doing much in WoD for Enhancement, being kind of a "dead button", and also making AoE just a little easier in some specific circumstances.

My suggestions would be to turn Lightning Shield into Magma Shield at some point before gaining Fire Nova and allowing a Fire Nova to, in addition to what it already does, also explode out from the Shaman if Magma Shield is active.

Why?

A) This allows for some simple AoE when fighting mobs too weak to survive a Flame Shock or bad luck when you Flame Shock and the rest of the party/raid annihilate the weakened mob carrying the debuff. It's also melee range AoE so it probably goes well with the concept of being a melee spell caster class.

Damage numbers too high with an additional Fire Nova? Just tweak the numbers down slightly.

B) It makes us care more about having our Shield active, wich we should. Just having a 60 minute buff that persists through death with a miniscule damage component is not great spell design.

The change from Magma to Lightning is mostly for flavor (and damage type) but also makes it easier if Blizzard would want to tweak the ability for only one of the Elemental or Enhancement specs. Also a new tooltip could be helpful for newcomers when this function (Fire Nova) is exclusive to Enhancement.

Hopefully this wouldn't take to much development time, but on the other hand this suggestion might be to trivial, even if viable, to make it in to the game. Since Restoration already transforms Lightning Shield into Water Shield at level 20 this probably shouldn't be that technically difficult. This doesn't add a button to push, just the same old one to sustain. This is only important since Blizzard doesn't want to add "button bloat".

I guess it would need its own animation, but a small ember circuling the Shaman should not take to long to make (hopefully!). Maybe there's already a fitting animation in game?

So what do you guys think? Trivial? Non-issue?
    Last edited by mmoce98d7b3f5a; 2014-08-04 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spllelingk

I think it's a great idea personally, we need some sort of fluidity in our AoE that every other class seems to have.

I think it's a great idea just allow it to blaze from lightning shield is fine. Knowing blizz they won't like it. They'll just argue it's another damage source not needed in our 'rotation.' Just like how magma totem was in wotlk, shaman will spam it in single target situations.

That is a great idea. It matches the theme of Enhancement Shaman.

Originally fire nova was pretty much like you described, they changed it so we couldn't use it single target. It did really shitty damage though so aoeing with it was pretty much pointless. We did use it on single-target but it was pretty much dead bottom on the prio list.

Reverting the spell to its original form and increasing the damage would just make it so we would prioritize it over other single-target spells. And they changed a lot of (all of them?) aoe spells for multiple classes to be useless on single-target with the cata overhaul.

As much as I hate it when stuff dies before we can spread Flame Shock I also wouldn't want the original incarnation back, purely because it would add yet another button to push. My only suggestion would be to have Fire Nova spread flame shocks instead of Lava Lash so it won't mess with single-target deeps (in WoD with the new flurry).
    Last edited by Gromthak; 2014-08-04 at 08:55 PM.

lightning shield doesn't even have a purpose in WoD, does it?
    Do not underestimate us.

Forth shield is good, but it should have some action when you have been atacked. Thinking about something different than damage to attacker...
    Last edited by Mold; 2014-08-09 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would prefer it if we just got Lightning Shield from Warcraft 3 back instead, where you could place it on an ally or enemy and it would tick every second, damaging enemies near to the target within a certain range.

Lightning Shield
    Forms a shield of electricity around a target ally or enemy, dealing (22.6305% of Spell power) damage every second to all enemies within 8 yards around it. Lasts 6 (or 10) seconds. 30 (or 45) second cooldown.
    Last edited by Blithe; 2014-08-09 at 12:33 PM.

Why not make LS ele only and just replace it with MS for enh?
    Then add the spreaded FS's to that initial FN spread from the shaman

While MS is active and you use FN, your FS with the longest duration left will be spread to up to 5 enemies (with LL perk, one less than before, because of FN coming from shaman) within 12y. All subsequent Fire Novas will emanate from both the shaman (as long as MS remains active) and targets with Flame Shock on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Blithe View Post
    Would prefer it if we just got Lightning Shield from Warcraft 3 back instead, where you could place it on an ally or enemy and it would tick every second, damaging enemies near to the target within a certain range.

Lightning Shield
    Forms a shield of electricity around a target enemy, dealing (22.6305% of Spell power) damage every second to the target and all enemies within 8 yards around it. Lasts 6 (or 10) seconds. 30 (or 45) second cooldown.
    A combination between offensive and defensive in pvp . I made a similar suggestion in asking for Flame Shield of WCII (essentially the same) some 4 years ago, in hopes of making shaman shields more into interesting utility cooldowns, rather than boring passives. Since then I limited myself to mainly sticking to what's broken/horribly bad and needs fixing, not what's boring and could be more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    Why not make LS ele only and just replace it with MS for enh?
    Then add the spreaded FS's to that initial FN spread from the shaman

While MS is active and you use FN, your FS with the longest duration left will be spread to up to 5 enemies (with LL perk, one less than before, because of FN coming from shaman) within 12y. All subsequent Fire Novas will emanate from both the shaman (as long as MS remains active) and targets with Flame Shock on them.

- - - Updated - - -

A combination between offensive and defensive in pvp . I made a similar suggestion in asking for Flame Shield of WCII (essentially the same) some 4 years ago, in hopes of making shaman shields more into interesting utility cooldowns, rather than boring passives. Since then I limited myself to mainly sticking to what's broken/horribly bad and needs fixing, not what's boring and could be more interesting.
    We have too many things that are broken and horribly bad, I agree. Still, improving Shield's is nice. Besides the cool visual effect of Water Shield, I think it's completely useless, as well as Lightning Shield. The only reason Lightning Shield is still here is because Blizzard uses it as an excuse to keep Elemental's "mock" Fulmination resource.