Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"World of Warcraft addiction lands couple in jail"

"World of Warcraft addiction lands couple in jail after kids are found locked in a mobile home"

So I was reading the Yahoo news and saw a picture of WoW with that title ^ ... What do you guys think about it?

https://games.yahoo.com/news/world-w...200018703.html

I think reading the news is depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone blames games, tv, and movies and not the stupidity of humanity.........just another example.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think they could well have been shocking parents even if World of Warcraft wasn't their addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Ban mobile homes. The children wouldn't be locked anywhere if it werent for those LIARS of houses.

and yet they could never make it past 1600 in 2's

Sad story at least the kids are out of that living hell and hopefully now in a place where they will be cared for and loved.
    Last edited by Pann; 2014-08-11 at 09:44 PM.

Deleted
    A more accurate title on the articles part would probably have been "Bad parents lock children in mobile home" or "Bad Parents sent to jail after child abuse"

To elaborate more. If they can do this they are clearly unfit to be parents, it's stupid and disgusting behaviour from them. I pin the blame fully on them and not on WoW, WoW doesn't make you treat your kids like shit for 3 years - being an awful person does.
    Last edited by mmoc383018dc8a; 2014-08-11 at 09:33 PM.

Fine and dandy, my only question is... why are the lengths they are in jail different? They're both guilty of the same thing. There should be no difference.

Also, obligatory WoW ruins lives. Nevermind addiction. /sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMan View Post
    and yet they could never make it past 1600 in 2's
    scrub players are bad parents.

If WoW possessed people with evil and made them abuse children; this would be known and wouldn't be news at all. With the tens of millions of WoW players there have been; you would be able to show that WoW players are much more likely to abuse their children. WoW would be shut down forever and no one would have to worry about it. It doesn't possess people with evil though. People who think a video game causes good people to abuse their children are possessed with stupidity. You can remove WoW from the title, replace it with anything else, and it has just as much merit (none). Let's try a few:

Netflix addiction lands couple in jail after kids are found locked in a mobile home

Gardening addiction lands couple in jail after kids are found locked in a mobile home

Lego addiction lands couple in jail after kids are found locked in a mobile home

Sensationalized News addiction lands couple in jail after kids are found locked in a mobile home

So, they were jailed for being inattentive and unfit parents by locking their kids in a mobile home, not for playing WoW. Sensational! Seriously, replace WoW with anything and you get the same result as posted several times before. WoW might have addictive properties, but if you are a shitty parent to start you're going to be a shitty parent later, with or without the help of an external force.

Aveline's amazing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    scrub players are bad parents.
    I think they meant: scrubs can't take care of kids. Us 1800+ players can at least raise a kid

Deleted
    lol they probably weren't even good players, just some casuals ruining your 5th alt's hc group (if they even got lfr done...).
    WoW players with skill and progress guilds are better parents than casuals.

I get tired of the news...

WoW doesn't chemically alter the brain, so it's not an addiction that controls your body and makes you forsake your responsibilities. If there is an addiction here it's a mental one (influenced by their mental state), and judging the way these parents treated their kids, I doubt their mental state was very stable.

The real situation here isn't even connected with Wow at all; warcraft is just a prop in the event. But instead of holding people reliable for their own life choices, they always try to slap the blame on something else.

What seems to be misunderstood is that the type of addiction World of Warcraft players suffer from comes from prior psychological issues rather than the game itself.

I had a personal link to a similar though less severe situation. I used to be friends with a couple. They actually got me into wow. They weren't the brightest of people, in or out of the game (the wife is/was a stereotypical huntard). Nor were they the nicest. But I stayed friends with them from sunwell to dragon soul. It was during a raid that I heard their four year old son come up and say "Mommy I'm hurt." She proceeded to curse him out over Skype in the middle of the raid.

Tldr: they ignored their kids for wow so I ended the "friendship".

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome View Post
    But instead of holding people reliable for their own life choices, they always try to slap the blame on something else.
    And they make sure it's something they hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome View Post
    WoW doesn't chemically alter the brain, so it's not an addiction that controls your body and makes you forsake your responsibilities. If there is an addiction here it's a mental one (influenced by their mental state), and judging the way these parents treated their kids, I doubt their mental state was very stable.
    There's ultimately a choice to be in any kind of addiction. I think that's really the point that matters most. You can be chemically addicted to something or emotionally addicted to something. You can also choose to partake in something or you can choose to walk away. You get accustomed to the "high" you get from either and it can take a considerable amount of willpower to overcome regardless if it's in a syringe or in a computer. It's really semantics and a non-argument that I don't understand. Heroine doesn't "control" your brain either. Yes, I'd say chemical addictions tend to be more dire, physically and otherwise, but it's not to say that one isn't an addiction because it's not on the same level as the other.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    what empirical evidence are you basing this off of?
    I am religious, so I don't believe in empirical evidence.

children grow old and move out. Loot stays with you forever.