Problem with cpu temps

About three weeks ago I started lagging like hell while playing WoW (also had tons of other programs on) so I checked my temps and cpu was 100+ degrees celsius. I proceeded by shutting down everything unessential at the time and clocked the cpu back from 4.0GHz to 3.4GHz and the temps came down to noncritical levels but they were still high around 80 degrees. Once I was done for the night I opened the case and checked if the cooler seemed fine from the outside and it did so I assumed the problem has to be with the thermal compound, so I ordered me some Arctic Silver 5 and changed the thermal compound (old one did look pretty bad), doing so did lower the temps by about 10 degrees but they were still higher than they should be but I thought they'd come down to normal levels as the compound settles. Tonight then I started lagging like hell again while raiding and checked the temps (after encounter) and it was 104 degrees celsius and I only had WoW and teamspeak running. I removed the sideplate of my pc while still in raid to check if the cooler was working properly and it seemed to be other than the intake tube being a little more warm than expected.

So any ideas what the problem might be? The cpu itself being broken?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz (was 4.0GHz before)
    cooler: Kühler H2O 620

edit: now with wow closed for 40 mins and only teamspeak, chrome and speccy open the temps are still at 85 degrees celsius and don't seem to be going down.
    Last edited by Jpp; 2014-08-13 at 10:16 PM.

Sounds like a problem with the actual heatsink, to me, something with it is not working or functioning properly. Maybe a broken pump or something?

I've never owned or worked with one of those pretend liquid cooling heatsinks, so, hopefully someone with one can help you in figuring out what's wrong with it.

If you have another heatsink somewhere, and you can test it out, you could try that, even the stock intel one would work. If your temps improve, then it's for sure something wrong with your heatsink.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-13 at 10:15 PM.

I should still have the stock heatsink somewhere I'll probably test it tomorrow.

I've never done it myself, but it looks like you have an "Ivy" processor. Recent Intel CPUs, including Ivy, apparently have some cheap thermal paste between the die and the "ICH" (the metal cap heatsink).

The only reason I bring this up is that according to some reports I've read, allegedly Intel made the swap to much cheaper compounds (adhesive instead of soldering for example) so that it'll break down after a couple years and encourage people to purchase new CPUs as the heat of the CPU climbs higher and higher.

Here's a forum post of someone performing a 'delid' (the process of removing the ICH with either a razor blade or the safer vice to apply more professional thermal paste) here

Ivy is specifically noted for having poor thermal paste and adhesive so... that might be your issue.

Using the correct thermal paste, Intel CPU temperatures seem to drop anywhere from 5C~20C

There's a whole 'delid' community out there. This seems like a nice guide on it with some reports by people of getting as much as a drop of 30C here

NOTEMy i5 is an older model before the swap by Intel, and I haven't had any issues so I have no personal experience with this

Switched the heatsink to the stock intel one and the temps are even worse, so doesn't appear to be a problem with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should just send the cpu back for warranty then? There should still be a little less than a year left of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpp View Post
    Switched the heatsink to the stock intel one and the temps are even worse, so doesn't appear to be a problem with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should just send the cpu back for warranty then? There should still be a little less than a year left of that.
    Providing you're applying the thermal paste and heatsink correctly, then I suppose it could just be the CPU, in which case, yes, warranty claim it up.

I'm currently using an i5-3570k(bought a year ago) with a d14(previously a 212 evo, slightly higher temps, but not by much), and I'm at ~30c which is about what the ambient temp is in the room.

Can you check your CPU usage to see if anything is out of the ordinary? It could be that you've got something running(knowingly or unknowingly) that might be causing the problem.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-14 at 12:12 AM.

I'm using an i5 4690K OC'd to 4Ghz and I'm at 22C idle. Something is definitely up with your CPU OP. Make sure that you have the default settings in the BIOS, you might be overvolting the shit out of it right now, if that isn't the case, open her up and removed the CPU again. Make sure you take off ALL of the thermal paste, both off of the actual processor, and off of the heatsink itself. Sometimes TOO MUCH paste causes high temps. Check your NB temps and Mobo temps. It might not be your processor, but your mobo. If temps remain high, shut down the system and get a new processor

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Can you check your CPU usage to see if anything is out of the ordinary? It could be that you've got something running(knowingly or unknowingly) that might be causing the problem.
    NOTHING software related would cause a CPU to run that hot. The max operating temp for an i5 is 68C I believe. I'm baffled that the OP's system even runs at 85C.
    Last edited by zolok2.0; 2014-08-14 at 12:15 AM.

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

The chances of the chip's internal paste wearing out or getting dislodged are astronomically low, this is almost assuredly a mounting issue or a problem with set voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    I'm using an i5 4690K OC'd to 4Ghz and I'm at 22C idle. Something is definitely up with your CPU OP. Make sure that you have the default settings in the BIOS, you might be overvolting the shit out of it right now, if that isn't the case, open her up and removed the CPU again. Make sure you take off ALL of the thermal paste, both off of the actual processor, and off of the heatsink itself. Sometimes TOO MUCH paste causes high temps. Check your NB temps and Mobo temps. It might not be your processor, but your mobo. If temps remain high, shut down the system and get a new processor

NOTHING software related would cause a CPU to run that hot. The max operating temp for an i5 is 68C I believe. I'm baffled that the OP's system even runs at 85C.
    You're thinking of AMD. Intel's max operating temperature has been 100-105c for a long while. 22c at idle doesn't sound right either unless your ambient room temperature is something like 65f.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-08-14 at 12:37 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Sure it can, depending on how the CPU is being used, and what you're actually working with, it can definitely be a contributing factor, but, that's besides the point, and I'm not into RARARAing.

I don't know what his temps were 3 weeks ago, before he started lagging in wow, maybe they weren't 80c-104c, maybe they were, but all I can see from the evidence provided, is that it didn't start getting to the point where it was throttling itself until 3 weeks ago, so...what changed? What went wrong?

Whatever the case, if he's removing and applying the paste correctly, and mounting whatever he's using correctly, then the issue lies elsewhere. To me, the temps seem like the heatsink isn't making full contact with the CPU, but, it might be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You're thinking of AMD. Intel's max operating temperature has been 100-105c for a long while. 22c at idle doesn't sound right either unless your ambient room temperature is something like 65f.
    Max operating temp on the OP's i5 3570K is 67.4 degrees C, taken from intel's website (http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/...core+i5+3570k).

And my idle temps are between 22-32C, I wouldn't lie about that. I have a giant dual fan cooler on top of my processor

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

First things I checked were the cpu usage and processes which were both like they should be and I just checked the voltage and it varies around .97V so that's not the problem either.. and about the thermal paste and heatsink mounting, I might've had a tiny bit too much paste (really a tiny bit) after the first change of paste but it was definitely mounted well and had proper contact with the cpu considering how hot the outflow tube was when I checked it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the other temps are all fine.

Max operating temp on the OP's i5 3570K is 67.4 degrees C, taken from intel's website (http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/...core+i5+3570k).

And my idle temps are between 22-32C, I wouldn't lie about that. I have a giant dual fan cooler on top of my processor
    Yeah, that's not what TCASE means: http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-033342.htm

You can't apply TCASE to core temperatures, two different readings entirely. TJmax (actual core temp) is 105c.

As for your temperatures, 22c-32c is a massive range. 22c is nearly impossible during the summer (or winter for that matter with heating) unless the temperature in your room is something like 65f. A huge heatsink doesn't reduce the heat coming off of your processor, it just dissipates it faster (your processor's temperature cannot be lower than your room temperature).
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

First things I checked were the cpu usage and processes which were both like they should be and I just checked the voltage and it varies around .97V so that's not the problem either.. and about the thermal paste and heatsink mounting, I might've had a tiny bit too much paste (really a tiny bit) after the first change of paste but it was definitely mounted well and had proper contact with the cpu considering how hot the outflow tube was when I checked it.

- - - Updated - - -

Then it sounds like your best course of action would be to go ahead and file your warranty claim on your processor. Might as well get a brand new one for free!

- - - Updated - - -

It's either making full contact, or partial contact, if it's partial, then it's the only thing keeping it from getting hotter and shutting off completely.

I can't see it in person to make 100% sure it's all in order, pictures would certainly help, a little bit...but if you did everything correctly and everything appears to be in order, then I think the only thing left is the CPU itself. You've already tried other programs(realtemp, speedfan, etc) that track temps and looked at the BIOS to see if all the temps match up, right? I'd assume it's all correct, since you're reaching temps that high and it's throttling, which it should.

Is the radiator hot? Was the stock intel heatsink hot? The stock one shouldn't have been THAT bad, especially if something with your current heatsink was broken, I'd expect the stock intel one to be better.

Honestly, to me, it still seems like a mounting issue, since temps were incredibly high with both. Was there a time where it was ever NOT 80-104c? Or did you never check until you started experiencing throttling?

Maybe check some videos to see if it's installed correctly and all of that, I doubt the issue lies with the CPU, but if it does, you want to be 100% sure before spending your money on a new one(you voided your warranty when you overclocked it), as you could get a new one and have the exact same problem.

Whatever the case, you're in physical damage territory, so...I wouldn't run that computer too much until it's resolved.

I haven't checked temps for like half a year before the problem occurred so I have no idea what the temps were like between the check ages ago (when they were fine) and three weeks ago, but my guess is they've been slowly climbing.

- - - Updated - - -

After further testing it was the heatsink afterall, it appears the 620 is not working properly (tried again and made sure there was full contact after getting normal temps with properly attached stock cooler) and I had indeed failed at attaching the stock cooler (one of the attachment pins hadn't gone fully through, even though I swear I heard them all "click" in place).

Any recommendations for a new cooler?
    Last edited by Jpp; 2014-08-14 at 11:13 AM.

I haven't checked temps for like half a year before the problem occurred so I have no idea what the temps were like between the check ages ago (when they were fine) and three weeks ago, but my guess is they've been slowly climbing.

- - - Updated - - -

After further testing it was the heatsink afterall, it appears the 620 is not working properly (tried again and made sure there was full contact after getting normal temps with properly attached stock cooler) and I had indeed failed at attaching the stock cooler (one of the attachment pins hadn't gone fully through, even though I swear I heard them all "click" in place).

Any recommendations for a new cooler?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

or

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - Click here for a compatibility list for RAM

I used the first on my i5-3570k, and recently went up to the D14, both are excellent, either will do the job. You can get one of those pretend liquid cooling things again, but, personally, I've never seen the point, all I see are more potential problems for not much gain, if any.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-14 at 08:28 PM.