Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How many Subs are still from asia?

Just wondering, i think the majority of WoW subs are now from EU/US cause blizzard been telling us that majority of sub loses are from asia each quarter.
    I am just wondering if WoW is actually bigger now in EU/US then it is in asia nowadays?

I would say out of the 7M maybe 2M max 3M left from asia area and 4M from EU/US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Asian players never really ever 'subscribed' to the game, they paid for game time by the hour. From wikipedia:

In China, because a large number of the players do not own the computer they use to play games (e.g. Internet cafés), the CD keys required to create an account can be purchased independently of the software package. To play the game, players must also purchase prepaid game cards that can be played for 66 hours and 40 minutes. A monthly fee model is not available to players of this region.
    In the past, global subscriber numbers were calculated using 'Monthly unique players'. So for example, in 2008 there were 2 million subscribers in Europe, more than 2.5 million in North America, and about 5.5 million in Asia. (source).

The North American and European numbers have not changed significantly since then, most of the 'subscribers' that were lost since then were from the Asian markets shifting towards the free-to-play model of games such as F2P MMO's and MOBA's.

If I had to guesstimate, I would say there are still around 2 million in both Europe and NA, with China dropping to 3 mil.
    You just lost The Game

Blizzard isn't telling so any number posted here would be just a wild guess. Your guess is probably as good as anybody else's, and probably in the right ballpark.

I'm sure I read that even at WoW's peak only around 4-4.5m of the subs were from the EU and USA, although I don't have a source for that.

I'd assume the majority are still Asian

10+ Year Old Account
    3.8m subs in the west and 3m in the east is my guess. Every quarter, the east has been hit the hardest. Id say subs have only fallen by no more than 1 million in the west since wrath, but up to 4 million in the east. Proof to this claim is that revenue hasn't fallen much since wrath, and while some of that is due to more digital purchases, a lot of it has to do with the free fall of wows popularity in the east.

- - - Updated - - -

expect ftp wow in china within the next 2 or 3 years.

Deleted
    They did not say majority of subs loses are from Asia each quarter. Only every second at average. Sometimes they said they where equal. Guess what happend in the remaining ones. Of course you also know the majority of sub gains have been from Asia too. They could be still higher, maybe equal, maybe they are lower. One side losing more doesn't tell you anything if that side had many more accounts to beginn with.

The scale of EU/US server merges however contradict any notion that population has only droped by a mere 20% since they last released the EU/US numbers. Population in EU/US has not been stable at all. The merged realms would be all be full, but they aren't. Far from it. I think it is more about 2.8 - 3 Million EU/US player left. 200.000 -300.000 from Oceanic, Russia, Brazil and the rest still from South East Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    3.8m subs in the west and 3m in the east is my guess. Every quarter, the east has been hit the hardest. Id say subs have only fallen by no more than 1 million in the west since wrath, but up to 4 million in the east. Proof to this claim is that revenue hasn't fallen much since wrath, and while some of that is due to more digital purchases, a lot of it has to do with the free fall of wows popularity in the east.

- - - Updated - - -

expect ftp wow in china within the next 2 or 3 years.
    Really? Because i've been seeing server communities die and shrink so much that Blizzard has had to add CRZ and then eventually merge them.

I'd say the west has lost a significant number of subs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Really? Because i've been seeing server communities die and shrink so much that Blizzard has had to add CRZ and then eventually merge them.

Perhaps, but I think the east has lost way more. Im still convinced the west has more subs now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    I think it is more about 2.8 - 3 Million EU/US player left. 200.000 -300.000 from Oceanic, Russia, Brazil and the rest still from South East Asia.
    It's far more from Russia, at least 1 million.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Perhaps, but I think the east has lost way more. Im still convinced the west has more subs now.
    I have to agree that East lost way more. But remember the East had way more player to beginn with. The difference could be only little now.

WoW dropped very far down in the game room rankings in China. At its peak it reached even into the top 5 fantasy MMORPGs. Now it is out of the top 10. Thats the biggerst drop in any country I could register for WoW over the recent years.

At its peak, WOW was 50-50 so 6 million east, 6 million west. Since Cata, almost ever time they lost significant numbers, they said it was mostly, or álmost entirely´ from the east. I wouldn´t be surprised it is it was like 5 - 2 right now. Earnings have barely fallen at all, and despite the sub losses, wow has greatly increased their team, not something you would do if you were actually losing a lot of revenue.

When you listen to the conference calls, you never get the feeling that they are worried about the sub losses. I personally think Kotick, as well as many other CEOs are learning that the hassle of dealing with China, the low rates they pay, maybe are not worth it for some business models. Maybe after that huge legal battle with WOTLK and all the hassle that went with that, they just said ´screw it´.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    At its peak, WOW was 50-50 so 6 million east, 6 million west. Since Cata, almost ever time they lost significant numbers, they said it was mostly, or álmost entirely´ from the east. I wouldn´t be surprised it is it was like 5 - 2 right now. Earnings have barely fallen at all, and despite the sub losses, wow has greatly increased their team, not something you would do if you were actually losing a lot of revenue.

When you listen to the conference calls, you never get the feeling that they are worried about the sub losses. I personally think Kotick, as well as many other CEOs are learning that the hassle of dealing with China, the low rates they pay, maybe are not worth it for some business models. Maybe after that huge legal battle with WOTLK and all the hassle that went with that, they just said ´screw it´.
    I'm going to need a source on those figures of 6 million western players

I'm going to need a source on those figures of 6 million western players
    Blizz investor info during WLK said subs are pretty much even between west and east. There's your source.

Someone put up a really interesting calculation post the day the numbers were released that derived 4.2 million as the actual daily players in the US/EU currently. Hope this helps things.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckles View Post
    Someone put up a really interesting calculation post the day the numbers were released that derived 4.2 million as the actual daily players in the US/EU currently. Hope this helps things.
    It does not help with anything because that calculation doesn't include two key things:
    - people in west pays lot more than people in east, therefore assuming everybody pays $15/month is much higher than the actual number
    - it doesn't include microtransactions

Guesses are guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Blizz investor info during WLK said subs are pretty much even between west and east. There's your source.
    You didn't give him a source. You gave hearsay.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    You didn't give him a source. You gave hearsay.
    Go dig the quarterly reports if you want. It was said along with sub numbers annoucement somewhere in WLK after the chinese realms got back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Go dig the quarterly reports if you want. It was said along with sub numbers annoucement somewhere in WLK after the chinese realms got back up again.
    It's up to you to provide a source if you're asserting something

It's up to you to provide a source if you're asserting something
    This chart has been linked already about 3576213489723 times in various MMOC threads and is based on official numbers released by Blizzard. 2010 is the year when they stopped announcing west and east numbers separately.

You can shove it up your arse after taking a look.

so many servers that actually used to be playable, aka with raiding etc is now not even possible on some servers in EU.

Dragonblight EU.. rip in peace