Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is an overwhelming or significant majority?

Tom Chilton states in a recent interview that an overwhelming or significant majority of WoW customers needs to be in favor of flying for flight to be introduced into WoD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mydjaH_HIE
    Comments about flying at 19:00

What is an overwhelming or significant majority? Do we need 90%, 95% or 99%? Is this even possible?

What method is used to collect data to calculate this possible overwhelming or significant majority?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enough to drown out the vocal minority whining that flying killed the game.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well guess we'll never get flying in WoD then

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    What method is used to collect data to calculate this possible overwhelming or significant majority?
    I'm guessing he's slyly referring to the "silent majority" of good, loyal customers that just keep their mouths shut and just log in and play whatever Blizzard gives them.

In other words: "We haven't heard anything negative from the vast number of players, who are usually as opinionated and vocal as someone undergoing an emergency tracheotomy — so we'll just continue to do what we want."
    Last edited by Dispersedshadow; 2014-08-19 at 06:27 PM.

4-5 months later and your still going on about this? Flying isn't coming back dude. The pro flying radicals is very much so in the minority.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    4-5 months later and your still going on about this? Flying isn't coming back dude. The anti flying radicals is very much so in the minority.
    FTFY.

Anti-flying is a minority, a very vocal one. Because instead of playing the game, they feel the need to sub just to whine on the forums.

Which is why flying won't come back. The fans of it are playing, the haters are whining.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Well, it seems that there is a split in the forum opinions (every post about this seems to start an emotional discussion). If there was no split, then you would have a "significant majority"

Deleted
    The party that stirs the most amount of shit on official forums during the launch period = overwhelming majority. If at launch day they find 150 freshly created threads saying " OMG BLIZZERD! y u did remove my birdyflapflap? u suxs! i will stope playn tis stuped game if u not give backe my birdyflapflap!". When that happens, and it will, they'll reintroduce flying real fast again.
    Last edited by mmoc12de78fbb7; 2014-08-19 at 06:33 PM.

What people say in the forums and what they end up actually doing or 2 entirely different things....If the expansion is exciting and well delivered they will continue to play. Can't trust what anyone says on here. All it is, is false threats of some people throwing fits in a effort to get it their way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killyo View Post
    The party that stirs the most amount of shit on official forums during the launch period = overwhelming majority. If at launch day they find 150 freshly created threads saying " OMG BLIZZERD! y u did remove my birdyflapflap? u suxs! i will stope playn tis stuped game if u not give backe my birdyflapflap!". When that happens, and it will, they'll reintroduce flying real fast again.
    The amount of forum posts won't mean anything....It will be sub numbers.... People that bitch make threads...People that are happy don't start them....And most people don't go to forums....Most of those 10-12 million people are already know about no flying just from word of mouth...You would have to be in a box to not even hear it once and the complaining has been relatively small...Usually the same old small group of people making a bunch of noise.

Overwhelming is like 95% while significant is a number between 10% and 99%.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    The amount of forum posts won't mean anything....It will be sub numbers.... People that bitch make threads...People that are happy don't start them....And most people don't go to forums....Most of those 10-12 million people are already know about no flying just from word of mouth...You would have to be in a box to not even hear it once and the complaining has been relatively small...Usually the same old small group of people making a bunch of noise.
    They use the forums to justify sub loss. When subs go down or do not increase according to their projections they will try to connect the dots to figure out where they went wrong. That will lead them straight to the official forums and MMO-C and to all the whiny posts created here. Which will namely be about introducing flying to Draenor.

They use the forums to justify sub loss. When subs go down or do not increase according to their projections they will try to connect the dots to figure out where they went wrong. That will lead them straight to the official forums and MMO-C and to all the whiny posts created here. Which will namely be about introducing flying to Draenor.
    They probably also track the reasons people give directly to Blizzard when they un-sub.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    This. Fucking neckbeard mongo fatass double chin shitheads with raid buckets need to stick to Vanguard or those other "ultra hardcore" games that capped under 70k players. If I want to do something "hardcore" after work I can go to the gym. When I play video games I want to do something fun and mindless. Sorry your life's so unfulling that your only sense of achievement comes from a video game, mongo...most folks' lives aren't.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2014-08-20 at 12:07 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty perplexed that someone from Blizzard would actually say, "Yeah, we're letting the community decide." It's kind of dumbfounding, really, seeing as they've gone out of their way several times to say that this is exactly how they don't design their games, by "popular demand". And even if they did take a literal vote, the only people who would participate are the tiny majority who visit the forums. That's a small percentage of players, so how would it really even be indicative of what the player base as a whole wants? Are they gonna shove a one-time survey into every account's screen upon logging in? Do they really even care? I'll be pretty shocked if they do follow through with it and throw up their hands, letting fate decide which direction their game is going in.

The pro flying radicals is very much so in the minority.
    Also. This is utter bullshit.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2014-08-19 at 06:54 PM.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    They probably also track the reasons people give directly to Blizzard when they un-sub.
    That too. Not that I believe that people are bothered to type anything helpful in that box.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    This. Fucking neckbeard mongo fatass double chin shitheads with raid buckets need to stick to Vanguard or those other "ultra hardcore" games that capped under 70k players. If I want to do something "hardcore" after work I can go to the gym. When I play video games I want to do something fun and mindless. Sorry your life's so unfulling that your only sense of achievement comes from a video game, mongo...most folks' lives aren't.
    you're probably hurting some butts, but i completely agree with your rage and all the names you used for these people.

i'll say about 1 week after launch and the forum explodes in rage, fury, frustration and all consuming vengeance, that will be when they 180 and start the changes.

What I don't understand is how he could casually drop something like that. Does he want to invite people to drown THE WHOLE FORUM with this one topic throughout WOD?

Sorry but how stupid is that? Could someone tell me how this is helpful in any way? Regardless of wether you want fyling or not.

That too. Not that I believe that people are bothered to type anything helpful in that box.
    Why not? If you are going to give feedback to Blizzard about why you are un-subbing, that is probably the place where it gets heard the most. It's the only direct correlation to sub loss that Blizz has. Forum posts are all anecdotal, and have no real causation associated with sub losses.

Waiting till people are unsubbing in droves before realizing they made a mistake seems like a terrible business decision. I'm not necessarily saying that people will unsub in droves because of it but if that's what they're waiting for...

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post

Tom Chilton states in a recent interview that an overwhelming or significant majority of WoW customers needs to be in favor of flying for flight to be introduced into WoD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mydjaH_HIE
    Comments about flying at 19:00

What is an overwhelming or significant majority? Do we need 90%, 95% or 99%? Is this even possible?

Flying's been in the game for ages. Shouldn't they ask for the opposite? That an overwhelming majority needs to be opposed to it to justify its removal? And even in that case, just like you said... how are they going to get the data?