Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Boosted my hunter to 90. What's the best step by step guide to get raid prepared?

I'm 509 ilvl atm and am very new to the concept of upgrading gear

People are looking for 560+ but I don't know how I'm supposed to get there aside from months of grinding.

What I've been doing:
    LFR for SoO for tier pieces and whatever upgrades
    Valor farm saving for upgrades since valor gear is apparently shit
    honor farm (lower priority) for ilvl padding

Short term goal:
    560 ilvl
    heirloom weapon
    decent dps

Been subbed for two days I don't know the "efficient" ways to do things was hoping some hunters here can help me out

I have much the same goals as you with my hunter I boosted to 90, so I'm interested in the answer also

PM Requests are CLOSED | DevArt | TwitchTV | Zen Pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    start working towards your legendary if you aren't already.

if you have the gold buy some 553 gear, other than that buy carry's.
    Is legendary still going to be worth it for WoD end game raiding?

and I have no gold so I'll have to do it legitly with the rng

10+ Year Old Account
    Its going to take time.
    Try to get 535 from timeless gear and try to find a guild or a regular flex groupe. Im not sure how much you know when it comes to gaining gear i wow. But seeing you have played two days in soo and your short term goals is to get 560 ilvl i have some bad news for you. It will take you months to get to that point.

Hunter - Monk - Warlock - Shaman - Paladin
    <Immersion> - Alliance 25 man guild @ Frostmane Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

No, but it will be great for the months until WoD and for the leveling-to-100 thing.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    People are looking for 560+ but I don't know how I'm supposed to get there aside from months of grinding.
    Been subbed for two days I don't know the "efficient" ways to do things was hoping some hunters here can help me out
    You answered your own question that is how you are supposed to do it. Why you guys think you can come in and in 2 days be caught up with people who have been doing this shit for months? Do LFR till you are in full LFR, then do Flex until you are full flex, then work into normals. Heirloom weapon is from flex and above I would be more concerned with the decent DPS part cause you will get booted from flex groups if you can't pull your weight.

- - - Updated - - -

You will also have time to work on this cause if you show up like a lot of these boost jokers with nothing gemmed or enchanted you will be seeing the boot a lot also.

Nah. We both know theres no quick solution to getting geared but there are faster ways and slower ways. I think my immediate future is just trying for a 4pc bonus from LFRs. And yeah no gemming and enchants is a catch 22, because at least for me it's not worth it to min/max gems and chants on green gear. So I've been spending dimes on the cheap shit just to get me through. But from what I've read it's all LFRs until I can squeeze into a flex raid and move up from there. Hell of a ways to go but at least it's planned =P

The decent enchants and gems aren't really that expensive (compared to what they used to be anyway) so every piece of gear should be getting enchanted/gemmed with whatever's best for your spec. That's the easiest way to gain some dps. Not much, but some

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC

Will be BiS preraid as far as I've heard.

Other than building your cloak I'd suggest trying to find some friends to drag you through a flex or 2 to get a BoA from Garrosh. I'd also suggest a full TI set for leveling. You won't get even close to caught up with 3 months left.

I have four characters at 558+ ilvl, and I've tried several different methods to get them geared for SoO N.

First thing's first. Dpsers who are not in raiding guilds with alt runs have the hardest time getting freshly minted 90s to SoO normal ready raiding levels. Tanks and healers have a much easier time finding pugs, often having no problems getting into N SoO with 540+, rather than 550+ on my server. If you can join your N SoO alt raids, if they're available, that's obviously the best choice. A couple weeks of carries will gear most people to 530+ within 2 weeks, before cloaks. A month of alt raids is likely to get you to 550+ without cloaks, especially if everyone else is geared. Hunters are generally the easiest to gear because enhancement shamans are rare.

Since you're a dps, I'll focus on the two ways I have used to get to 522-535 without raids.

1.) Spend two days on the timeless isles farming rares and acquiring gear from the all the chests. It's in your best interests to not immediately use Timeless gear that drops in your specialization and only use Burdens of Eternity to upgrade gear. You get two guaranteed Burdens from Timeless Isle. One becomes available at friendly rep, I believe, with Emperor (the guy next to the Celestial pit), by killing Arch with the quest enabled. The second Burden is accessible in a chest to the West of Ordos (not accessible from the room where Ordos is and I believe it is accessible without a cloak, as long as you can find someone with a cloak who has a two seat mount to bring you to the plateau). You cannot upgrade the trinket with burdens.

You'll have to save 50k timeless coins for the trinket. It is likely to be a better dps upgrade, if you have no luck in LFRs, than a Burden upgrade to any timeless item. So, save the coins! The 535 trinket tends to be worth it! Obtain friendly rep with Shado-pan Assault and get 1155 valor (obtainable within your first 2 weeks) in order to get the 522 trinket. Use the timeless gear to complement your LFRs and Flexes (if you can get into them, these drop 540 and are worth waiting for pugs to form!)

2.) PvP gear through justice point farming. Heroic instances reward justice points with each boss kill, and in Orgrimmar, you can trade these justice points for Honor gear. On the serpent spine wall to the Northwest of Shrine in Vale, you can find the PvP vendors who reward you with 522 ilvl gear. The gear is usually haste and crit heavy. For a SV entry-level hunter, the wasted pvp power is still not that bad, and to get into SoO N and Flex pugs, you are really looking for item level. Once you have the entry item level requirements, run pugs for flexes as much as possible.

GENERAL ADVICE: Try to participate in world boss tours every week to get a chance at 522 pvp or tier gear (Nalak) or Tier 16 pvp or tier gear (Celestials) and some excellent warforged gear from Ordos. Ordos and Celestials pugs can often be joined at any point in the week using the Other Raids tab in your social screen and listing yourself on the open raid system. However, if you want to do these on your own server without the system, it's generally easiest to find pugs for these bosses on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on most servers.

The cloak is worth doing ToT LFRs as well as the SoO LFRs every week. Queue times are generally 40m+ for DPS on ToT LFR. Queue up for multiple LFRs (I believe you can do up to 5 simultaneous queues) to fill in the time. You can also queue for heroic instances while you wait to save up justice points for pvp gear filler pieces.

BUY THE CRAFTED GEAR! The belt and legs are VERY good for hunters and if you scout the AH, you can often buy them for a few thousand gold (especially the belt).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Effinhunter; 2014-08-26 at 04:50 PM.

Effin's information is quite good but assuming you're new to the game, you may not (or may, no idea) have the money to buy the 553 crafted gear. I'd recommend spending more or less an entire day on the Timeless Isle whilst queued to ToT LFR and SoO LFR the moment you can. I was able to get to 526 item level in a single day doing this although admittedly I wouldn't want to go through that again.

Reflections#2928 <eXample>
    Vandler - Warrior | Rakkaus - Hunter
    retired

Deleted
    Buying or crafting the 553 pants and belt shouldn't be too expensive nowadays as well. If you know some people with the right professions or you have them yourself it should be easy to obtain at least these two pieces. Both pieces are pretty good for survival I think. Wore both untill I got hc stuff. Spend around 2k on the plate counterparts with help of guild people with the right professions and admittedly a huge amount of spirits of war. But if you don't have those it wont cost more in terms of money, only in terms of time.
    And did you pick up the guaranteed burden of eternity from the chest on the timeless isle? Its pretty easy to get to and will net you at least one 535 item. Just type it in on youtube and you can find an easy guide depicting you shooting a seagull and letting it carry you to the legendary cloak part of the isle.
    Getting in a guild increases your loot process by a lot as well of course and just making your own flex groups may let people overlook the fact that you are fairly low geared.
    People do hate on those who do not have their stuff gemmed and enchanted though (even though the difference is small and imo not worth it for like 500 ilvl gear or lower).

You don't need anybody to fly you to the other side of the bridge so you can get the chest with the Burden of Eternity in it. Instead, go to where the Celestials are, wait for a bird to fly by, and shoot it. It will pick you up. Let it fly you until you're over the area you want to be (a little bit past Ordos) and then kill the bird, causing it to drop you. (You usually aim for the roof then just jump down. There are youtube videos of how to do it if you need that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The great thing about using pvp gear atm to up your item level. Is that the pvp power on the pc's are NOT included in the items stat budget. So the stats on the pc is the same as a pve pc of the same ilv.

So using pvp pc's is not such a bad thing anymore.

Plus with converting justice point to honor you can get upwards of 530+ Ilv is just a few days between the pvp gear and timeless isle gear.

Hope this helps Cheers

Sounds like you are pretty much on the right track. Maybe try to do some guild runs.

You can always look up farming spots for gold, and buy boosts. This is a bit of cheating, but I think it's more effective, though very boring.

To add a few things.
    1. You can't do Ordos before you have a Legendary Back.
    2. Google for a map of "timeless island chests" and collect them all
    3. To get the Big Burden Chest you can use someone with 2 seated mount and a Cloak but you can also use the birds "Taxi" flying aroudn the zone. There are some spots (one being near the West celeastial ring stairs) where they go low enough. Hit them once and they will grab you. They are also used to get to 2 timeless chests and 1 quest chest and or a rare spawn. Alternatively you can spend some timeless coins to get a glider. Then swim a little outside the zone coords where you will be alowed to fly. Fly high high and then glide into the island to your desired locations.
    4. The course of action in pure pve gearding should be Timeless Isle - Collect all chests - Get all your gear in 496 epics from the isle and or use the Burden on a Chest or Helm token. Buy coins for extra raid rolls and use 1 on Celestials then do all ToT and SoO LFR's in first week Either keep your coins for next week Flex or use on bosses droping weapons i'd save them for flex or normal even (Paragons, Galakras or Malkorok for chance on weapons and rings too). If you don't get a weapon ugprade buy one from the Timeless Vendor. It is 496 but far better than the green you have on your boosted char. Get a 522 trinket for your 2-nd slot from the Shado-pan vendor for VP.
    If you don't hate PvP. Honor is easy to aquire.
    There are 3 pvp rares that give you honor once a day in krasarang. Use a banner to enhance it.
    The pvp set of quests in Isle of Thunder give a nice load of honor/hour rate and you can turn them all with a banner around the quest NPC to get some extra.
    Doing Dungeons and converting Justice to Honor is also easy but winning the daily random BG event awards a lot of honor. Can be faster if and also give Conquest points.

As stated PvP gear and PvE Gear with equal item level have equal pve power and the "pvp power" stat is not wasted at all as it is just an extra stat.
    The only difference in PvP gear vs PvE will be the usefullness of Set bonuses in a PvE enviroment.
    5. The Craftable Belt and Pants albeit nice are not so easy to come by. The reason is the maths difference between crafting cloth plate and leather. So don't hope to find them too cheap and if you can make a friend craft you something go for the belt first as you can get 553 Tier Legs or even 550 PvP Legs drop from celestials but the chance for a 550 belt from them is much smaller.

If you don't hate pvp then gearing through PVP is superior to LFR and even Flex, far less rng. You can get a guranteed 550 ilvl weapon withing 3+ weeks if you play your cards properly
    If you pick the PvP path save your extra raid roll coins for trinket drops. As PvP trinkets are not rly meant for PvE.
    Last edited by Pyrophobia; 2014-08-27 at 09:14 AM.

Deleted
    My personal advice is with about 11 resets left until Warlords you will have a real hard job being raid ready.

Other advice, is stack a few burdens of eternity, don't use them straight away.
    Run Flex, LFR all wings. Don't use Warforged seals.
    Do Throne of Thunder 10m Normal, its so easy you should be able to find a group fairly quick. Disregard any requesat for achievement runs they slow things down. A half decent guild would help you. (If you don't have a 502+ weapon run wing2/3/4 ToT with coins, if you don't get tortos weapon, leave and requeue you can roll a coin each kill, wing2,3,4 all drop weapons on first boss so keep all queued)
    Before doing ToT make sure you have Mogu runes of fate from Timeless isle vendor.
    Ignore the advice to spend valor on trinket, Save valor it will be way more useful upgrading gear later. (if you already reached cap then spend 1k on upgrading at end of week)
    Get the cloak quest started the quicker you are on the 3k Valor gate the better. You will need to be very lucky and maximise the use of the weekend wrathion buff to get it before warlords)
    Do a HC scenario daily, Do Celestials weekly.
    Before reset take a look at your gear, if you have any low pieces left after full flex/LFR then now is the time to use Burdens of Eternity + lootpiece. Don't take the 1 stat pieces, if you have 4-5 burdens and only need 2 pieces of gear, roll again on the same piece and hope for Crit + Haste instead. Being raid-ready isn't just about having ilvl.
    Get 42 Magnificent hides and 21 Spirits of War for Belt craft, Fairly cheap nowadays. Again a good guild would give you them at reduced costs/free.
    Save Warforged seals for normal
    After reset,
    Do LFR (Full run)
    Do Flex (Full run)
    If you are seriously unlucky with loot during the flex use a seal for the Sha trinket.
    You should have 2k valor now so use it to upgrade any flex items (trinkets, weapon first) Don't waste valor on a 4/4 flex upgrade. Just do 1 or 2 to help bump ilvl.
    Try and get a normal, make a list of important upgrades use a coin on these bosses (Check drops first)
    Repeat above until all gear is 555 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophobia View Post
    To add a few things.
    1. You can't do Ordos before you have a Legendary Back.
    Note this is account based. The OP doesn't mention if this boost is an alt or main. But so long as you have the cloak on one character for that account any character can get to Ordos and loot(I have confirmed this in game)

Quote Originally Posted by Waylay73 View Post
    Note this is account based. The OP doesn't mention if this boost is an alt or main. But so long as you have the cloak on one character for that account any character can get to Ordos and loot(I have confirmed this in game)
    Definitely true, I ran my fresh 90 druid into an Ordos run and was able to replace my 410 legs with 559 warforged legs - definitely time well spent if you get lucky with the drops.