10+ Year Old Account

Introducing the Collections Achievement Category

Introducing the Collections Achievement Category

by Matthew Pennebaker on September 3, 2014

I would like to introduce you to the brand-new Item Collections system!

Item Collections is a new set of achievements with new, unique rewards that are tied very specifically to the finding of items and skins. In the new Collections section of the Achievements panel, you will find a handful of new achievements. It may not look like many to start, but there are a large number of hidden collections that will open up as you explore the world.

Rewards

Every Item Collections achievement has reward items in addition to achievement points. These rewards can be just about anything! There are a number of new pieces of equipment, recipes, and functional unlocks that can only be found as rewards for Item Collections, like the new Spirit Crafter back item, earned by completing its namesake achievement.

Unlock Types

There are three ways to obtain collections: automatic, discovered, and unlocked.

Automatic collections are immediately available and visible to you when you look at your Achievements panel. These are the base set of collections, and they serve as something of an introductory course to the system.

Beyond this initial set, there are a number of discoverable collections. These will automatically become visible the moment you collect something that is part of that collection. For example, if you’re an avid dungeon runner, you will probably discover several hidden collections right away.

Finally, there are collections that have to be unlocked by using an item before they can be seen or progressed. Go visit Rednax Youngblood in Lion’s Arch and he may provide you with the coveted Collectible Spoon Box to start your Koutalophile collection. This achievement is completed when you’ve found all of Tyria’s spoon trinkets. Most are sold by renown vendors to commemorate specific locations, but a few new spoons have found their way into some very dangerous locations.

Other unlock items can be found on creatures and in chests throughout Tyria.

Collection Types

There are three ways an item can be collected. An item can be bound to you (either to your character or account), used by you, or unlocked as a skin in your wardrobe.

Usable items are considered collected once they are used. For example, opening a loot bag or eating food. Bound items are collected the moment they are bound. So, if you loot a ring that is bound on acquisition, congratulations, you’ve contributed to your collection! If you loot a collectible trinket that is tradable, you now have a decision to make—will you bind it to your collection, or sell it on the Trading Post to another industrious collector? Collectible skins are counted toward achievements as soon as they become unlocked in your wardrobe.

A collection may be just one type or could include all three types of items.

Day One

You may be wondering, “What if I’ve already been collecting things, because that’s just the type of person I am?” Good news! We are doing our best to give you the progress you deserve in Item Collections achievements. Any skin you have unlocked will automatically contribute toward appropriate collections. Any bound items you still possess will also contribute as soon as you log in with the character holding that item. However, items that you use will have to be used again, so that one steak you ate a year ago won’t count. Also, any item you owned but got rid of will have to be obtained again.

For many of you, this will mean that the first time you log in after the September 2014 Feature Pack goes live, you will get a lot of notifications for new collections you’re unlocking, progress you’re making in those collections, and if you’re lucky, maybe even a few rewards!

A Bit of Cleanup

Collections and Material Storage

With miniatures moving to the Wardrobe, the old Collections panel in the account bank was no longer a very accurate name for what was found there. It is now, more accurately, called Material Storage. All text that would call out items in there has been updated. For example, the “Deposit All Collectibles” option in your inventory will now read “Deposit All Materials.” Henceforth, any use of the terms Collections and Collectibles will refer to Item Collections. Apologies for any confusion caused during this transition.

Achievements

In an effort to make achievements easier to navigate, Item Collections will come paired with some slight reorganizing in the Achievements Panel. All of the existing achievements are still there, they’ve just been moved around into groupings that make the initial experience a little easier while keeping individual achievements easy to find.

All of the WvW, PvP, and Activity achievements are now located in the new Competitive achievement category.

All of the Region, Boss, and Dungeon achievements are now found in the General achievements category.

Finally, the new UI created for Item Collections achievements is now used for all achievements. We felt that the UI was much cleaner, more straightforward, and would be a welcome change to all achievements.

The Future

This is certainly not the last you will be seeing of Item Collections. We have many more in the works, some that stand alone and some that are deeply tied to the Living World. We are very excited for this new system and what it will bring to the game going forward. We had a lot of fun designing and building it, and we hope you have as much fun playing it. So get out there, explore the world, and find that last piece of loot!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/i...ment-category/
    Valar morghulis

This is sorta like a Guild Wars 2 version of HOM. Personal collections with a trade off between selling or keeping; while some are sorta automatic to the course of play.

I guess it works. But maybe they should have given us something to do in the HOM other than collect legacy items. Seems kind of a waste of space and history to the franchise.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-09-04 at 01:39 PM.

Well, that's a bit better news than many of the past announcements. I'm curious to see what'll unlock for me. It's not a huge feature, but more feature-worthy than a lot of the other crap they announced so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh.. few free achievement points here and there.

I love this. If this is actually something I think it is, it's a wonderful addition to the game to give people tons of reasons to explore the world. Now I'm curious about the implementation of that feature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Meh.. few free achievement points here and there.
    You should read the post again... but honestly I don't think you did this, ever.

Now this is an actual feature unlike yesterday or last week
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    All I can think of while reading this is ''oh god I deleted so many items over the past couple of months''. I'd be quite upset if I have to re-buy a ton of items I had and got rid of. Especially expensive karma items.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    All I can think of while reading this is ''oh god I deleted so many items over the past couple of months''. I'd be quite upset if I have to re-buy a ton of items I had and got rid of. Especially expensive karma items.
    I would be more upset if many collections are "locked" behind these Black Lion Tickets weapons.
    Oh and I hope the rewards from the PS don't count, too. :P

But let's wait and see, so far it sounds interesting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Well if it skins and so on that you are thinking about:

"What if I’ve already been collecting things, because that’s just the type of person I am?” Good news! We are doing our best to give you the progress you deserve in Item Collections achievements. Any skin you have unlocked will automatically contribute toward appropriate collections."

This is a pretty nice feature, better than the ones we got this far in this pack.

I'm liking the mini-pet change too, I usually choose a mini for my characters but I hardly use them since they disappear all the time.

Generally like that they keep adding and working on the wardrobe. Don't really understand why the finishers didn't get a preview in the TP instead but no biggie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    You should read the post again... but honestly I don't think you did this, ever.
    What do you mean? I've collected almost all armors/weps and have map completion so I figure I will get a few free AP from this when it goes life, as the post even says "if you're lucky you may get rewards once live" ESSENTIALLY (not direct quote. in a hurry)

Calm your tits

What do you mean? I've collected almost all armors/weps and have map completion so I figure I will get a few free AP from this when it goes life, as the post even says "if you're lucky you may get rewards once live" ESSENTIALLY (not direct quote. in a hurry)

Calm your tits
    your original quote: "Meh.. few free achievement points here and there."

Every Item Collections achievement has reward items in addition to achievement points. These rewards can be just about anything! There are a number of new pieces of equipment, recipes, and functional unlocks that can only be found as rewards for Item Collections, like the new Spirit Crafter back item, earned by completing its namesake achievement.
    So no, not only a few free achievement points.

Finally, there are collections that have to be unlocked by using an item before they can be seen or progressed. [...]
    unlock items can be found on creatures and in chests throughout Tyria
    that's more than just getting stuff for free

My tits are quite calm, thank you. I'm just annoyed by your negative-nancy spam posts which go on since... years, but that's probably just me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post

I'm just annoyed by your negative-nancy spam posts which go on since... years, but that's probably just me.
    I highly doubt that

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is neat. Definitely a huge refinement and enhanced focus on the game's core rewards structure. I like it a lot.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I've collected almost all armors/weps
    That's pretty hardcore. Looking at the account wardrobe in my bank I've only got maybe 20% of the skins and I'm 924 skins total according to my Fashion Forward achievement
    Valar morghulis