[Mage] Updated spell-effects?

I've been watching a lot of beta videos and I'm noticing a lot of old-school spells look reinvigorated, but I'm not 'totally' sure. I think I might just be appearing differently.

Arcane explosion? Arcane missiles? Frostbolt?

I know a few like Ice Nova have been updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneo View Post
    I've been watching a lot of beta videos and I'm noticing a lot of old-school spells look reinvigorated, but I'm not 'totally' sure. I think I might just be appearing differently.

Arcane explosion? Arcane missiles? Frostbolt?

I know a few like Ice Nova have been updated.
    Polarthief posted a list awhile back, here you go:

- Amplify Magic looks similar to its old graphic, except it's blue rings instead of red ones.
    - Arcane Missiles seems to be 'bigger' and expand out more.
    - Arcane Orb (New spell); is more normal sized once more, but it doesn't expand out as it gets away from you as Celestalon mentioned it's supposed to.
    - Blast Wave looks roughly the same, with extra polygons thrown in and some smoothness to it.
    - (Pet) Freeze and Frost Nova look dramatically different. Freeze effect on the target from these two spells remains unchanged.
    - Frost Bomb looks roughly the same, but has a more noticeable bomb on the target.
    - Frostbolt looks roughly the same, but shinier/flashier and with more polygons it seems.
    - Ice Nova (New spell)
    - Icicles are way more pointy and look much better. Unfortunately, their firing animation has been unchanged.
    - Incanter's Flow (New spell); has a glowy purple effect on the player at 4 and 5 stacks.
    - Inferno Blast without DoTs is just a fiery explosion. With DoTs, it's got a nice new visual to it that's very smooth.
    - Nether Tempest is completely different from its previous iteration. It now spits out modified arcane fish that explode upon impact. They seem to scatter randomly and explode when hitting the ground. Don't know if that changes the hitbox or way targets take damage.
    - Portals look smoother with extra polygons.
    - Prismatic Crystal (New spell)
    - Pyroblast now starts small and grows in size and gets more on fire as it flies towards the target, reaching maximum size/fire just before hitting the target. The speed at which it grows/gets lit on fire is much faster the closer you are to the target, but it still starts at minimum size/fire and reaches maximum size/fire just before impact.
    - Ring of Frost (target freeze effect) is updated, but I don't believe it's anything new from what we've already seen.
    - Supernova got another new iteration rather than just an Arcane Explosion, but it looks even smaller, despite the pretty graphic.
    - Unstable Magic (Arcane Blast) is barely noticeable. Small purple sparks explode out of the target.
    - Unstable Magic (Frostbolt & Frostfire Bolt) explode out an icy, blue, smoke cloud-like effect. (Forgot to test FFB as Fire)
    - Unstable Magic (Fireball) explodes a small fiery explosion.
    Source
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    Polarthief posted a list awhile back, here you go:

Source
    *Hat tip* I was just coming in here to post that list

Taneo, if you go 2 posts below my list on the source, you'll find this one by ImNick, who posted gifs of some of the spells. I planned to make a video, but my capture/editing software decided to ruin my footage
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Thanks for the link! I have to say I'm really impressed with how all of the abilities look, especially compared to the other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taneo View Post
    Thanks for the link! I have to say I'm really impressed with how all of the abilities look, especially compared to the other classes.
    Yeah we got some nice spell effects. Now if only our fillers and AM could look less like shit
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Orb look horrible now ...

Deleted
    I must disagree. Frost orb look a lot more like frost orb in WoD, than it does now. At the moment it just look like some kind of frost bolt whirlwind. yeah and icicles are have some more glittering.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    I must disagree. Frost orb look a lot more like frost orb in WoD, than it does now. At the moment it just look like some kind of frost bolt whirlwind. yeah and icicles are have some more glittering.
    It's looks like a planet with rings ...

The swirl around it is literally just a flat, rotating texture. I'm so not impressed.

It's hard to tell it's range.

Heck Diablo 2 had a better Frozen Orb graphic.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-09-11 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    icicles are have some more glittering.
    I just wish they'd fire faster. When it was on the PTR (5.4 PTR), I was expecting something a lot faster. Still looks nicer, but man I wish it would zoom like Ice Lance, not slowly accelerate to a still-fairly-slow pace.