Poll: Which was the worst expack lore-wise?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't honestly understand how people are putting MoP > TBC in terms of less lore or something. TBC was basically "
    heres a bunch of random stuff you thought was cool from WC lore on another planet! IT DOESNT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE, ITS a shattered realm". Or something.

MoP had Pandas. Honestly. I like bear people. I don't care if theyre pandas. They're just bear people.
    The entire MoP expansion had more content just about Pandas than any single event in TBC had about any info it ever wanted to give.

In my opinion, the only way to argue MoP had less lore, is to just assume you started playing after TBC in which you would have no way to understand that from levels ~58-70~, there really wasn't much story progression in terms of lore. Quest, yes, but actual lore that affects the timeline of the game...not really. You were just there killing stuff because somehow Kazak opened up the dark portal again using a mysterious artifact he just found. Despite this artifact powering the portal again, you're never really told what it is or how it works...or why it was there in the first place

10+ Year Old Account
    The Black Temple pre quest was nice story wise but other than that TBC was pretty lackluster story wise. Still my second favorite expansion after WotLk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Can't a person dislike something without being called retarded anymore?
    I heavily dislike the Pandaren, and the entire continent being either Panda's or Bugs really started to bore me after 1 zone.

The lore is /meh. Maybe it's because this is the first time that an xpac has been built upon new lore, but I felt you could have just went from Cata to WoD storywise and it would have been the same. All we'd need to establish is how Garrosh got to be a baddie and why he has a timetraveling friend. All this can be done in 1 content patch (5.4).

And people saying that the pandaren are "legitimate" or had "prestablished lore" in W3C. No they didn't. That entire thing was a joke. Even the serious quests in Pandaria feel like a joke.

The only thing I like from MoP is the SoO raid (except the first wing, annoying boss mechanics).
    The funny thing is, some of the best lore in MoP has nothing to do with the Pandaren. Lei Shen and the Mogu, the Klaxxi, 5.1 and 5.2 quests, Wrathion, etc. But people continue to dismiss the expansion because "lolpandas" without giving it a chance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    I don't understand how people think TBC had bad lore? The story was there, it was interesting, and it was just presented in a less than optimal way.
    It isn't the question of "bad lore", but more "no story telling whatsoever". Even today we are waiting for the Kael'thas novella to explain his transformation from Frozen Throne to Burning Crusade and that alone tells much about TBC lore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    The funny thing is, some of the best lore in MoP has nothing to do with the Pandaren. Lei Shen and the Mogu, the Klaxxi, 5.1 and 5.2 quests, Wrathion, etc. But people continue to dismiss the expansion because "lolpandas" without giving it a chance.
    fuck pandas and pandaland

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-09-06 at 05:18 PM.

The reason MoP is so high up there is because of it's lack of recognizable characters. Not necessarily just panda/pandaria hate. It's why I dislike it as well.

Vanilla, BC, and WoTLK were littered with references to the RTS games. Cata not as much, but Deathwing and Cho'Gall were big parts of the WC2 expansion. MoP was pretty much the first time that the lore was all "new". The story may not have been terrible, but it just didn't interest me much.

10+ Year Old Account

Maybe because MoP has had the best in-game lore to date. If you could get past your retarded hate towards "pandas", maybe you'd see that.
    Agreed, these kind of people never seem to go away. MoP was probably the most lore heavy and lore friendly expansion in WoW. The Klaxxi and Shado-pan being some of my favorite parts of the new lore. Next to Wotlk I think MoP had the best lore.

Worst I would say Vanilla, but that's not an option and it's too early to judge WoD even if it already looks like a fucking mess. So I'll go with Cataclysm, since the whole Thrall Jesus business left a bad taste in my mouth. TBC is a close second, despite it being my second favorite xpac after Wotlk the lore was pretty shitty. Especially with regards to how they handled Illidan and Kael'thas.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

I voted for MoP. My big problem with the lore of MoP was the way it was presented. Everything was just such an over the top stereotype and/or silly joke it just totally ruined the lore for me. And yes I am a panda hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    The reason MoP is so high up there is because of it's lack of recognizable characters. Not necessarily just panda/pandaria hate. It's why I dislike it as well.
    I agree with this as well. TBC may have been disjointed from a lore perspective but at least I wanted to see the big baddies/characters of the expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This is the problem with any discussion about expansions. People just can't discuss things objectively, it's completely black or white.
    doesnt change the fact that pandas are utter shit lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP's lore was garbage. The Pandaren and their fortune cookie wisdom were cringeworthy. The Sha were the least compelling excuses I've ever seen for "bad guys." The Mogu were bland and uninteresting. The Mantid came close to being tolerable, simply because they were allowed to piggy-back off from Old God Lore.

And finally, Vol'jin became Warchief and we got rid of Garrosh Hellscream. Which was by far the worst choice imaginable. Depending on how WoD plays out though, MoP might have some competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone saying MoP is just being biased about "Kung Fu Pandas" or the usual, "Current expansion is the worst!" attitude. There's no real way you can make the case for MoP being the worst in terms of lore.
    Yes, you can. It's called having an opinion. I could just as easily give some excuse as to why your opinion is invalid and "no one can make the case for MoP not being the worst in terms of lore."

cata and it will cata forever.
    unless blizzard messes up again
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    cata and it will cata forever.
    unless blizzard messes up again
    They have, it's called "Mists of Pandaria" and "Warlords of Draenor."

MoP storytelling is the best the game has ever had and I hope they keep using the same way for future lore, BUT the lore was bad and didn't actually felt like wow for many players, you can't dismiss how people feel just because they disagree with you, I'm glad you liked MoP but you have to take into account that if people couldn't relate to pandas then all the story of pandaria is meaningless and a filler for them, personally I'm glad we`re finally done with pandas and even tough WoD lore sounds completely ridiculous it's better than pandas for many, lets not forget hozen jokes on poop that didn't helped this expansion either.

OT: I voted cata tehere's nothing worse than butchering the good character that was Thrall to turn him into green Jesus, and making an evil mastermind that was Deathwing into a mindless flamethrower that roamed across several zones, and making us cut his nails which is canon as the final boss fight of the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Plenty of people seem to forget that BC really didn't have lore. They'd just throw villains at you. Truly shameful how underdeveloped Vashj and Kael were.

Cata tried to develop lore, so it gets points for effort. MOP's lore is easy to dislike, but it's presented well. I need to play WoD to really have an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists, no doubt. I really just never cared about the Pandaren. I remember doing that quest in Jade Forest where the Mogu are leading these poor lil panda people off to slavery. Usually in a situation like that I would hang around and kill extra Mogu just because I like to do good, but in this case I couldn't care less.

Compare and contrast that to the quest in Blasted Lands where you have to kill the Naga who are doing the same thing to the Murlocs. I must have spend an hour running around that beach spitefully wiping Naga from the face of Azeroth...and that was over mere Murlocs. Yet when I found myself in the same position to rescue the Pandaren, I couldn't find a good reason to care. The Mogu could have them for all I cared. The fate of their race and their island never mattered any more to me than the requisite experience to reach level 90.

That's a first for me in my WoW playing career. I've never had that sense of apathy while leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hardly even an "opinion" though. Objectively speaking, TBC barely even had lore. It was just, "Here's some names you know, and they have loot, go forth and slay them."

You might as well say, "It's just your opinion that the sun is hotter than my coffee, it seems really hot to me!"

Maybe you didn't like the Pandaren. Maybe you didn't enjoy the expansion overall. But claiming it had the, "Worst Lore" or something is very blatant bias.
    It depends on the priorities of the individual in question. I figured that should be obvious. TBC's Lore was nonexistent, MoP's Lore was just bad. Which is worse? You seem to think it's the Lore that doesn't exist, I'm of the opinion that it's the Lore that's garbage.

Unlike your Sun and Coffee example, there's nothing objective about the value which individuals attach to certain things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it's not. It's his/her opinion. Look at the poll, not everyone is going to agree with you or have the same opinion as you. We all perceive things differently and prefer different things.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's solely up to the person behind the keyboard and their likes and dislikes.
    While its true on the individual level, there is a correct answer on the mass level.

To the question : which is the worst xpack?. The answer will always be on a mathematical level : MoP. Its not opinion here, its a fact. This garbage xpack always "win" every poll with the word "worst" in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    While its true on the individual level, there is a correct answer on the mass level.

To the question : which is the worst xpack?. The answer will always be on a mathematical level : MoP. Its not opinion here, its a fact. This garbage xpack always "win" every poll with the word "worst" in the title.
    It's not a fact whatsoever, for starters MMO-champion has never been a viable place to draw meaningful data and conclusions from as forums naturally entice certain types of players.

Also add the fact that large numbers of players who are still interested in WoW at this point never even played TBC or probably WOTLK so their vote is instantly meaningless on a poll like this, plus like it or not nostalgia plays a factor with a number of people.

It's hardly even an "opinion" though. Objectively speaking, TBC barely even had lore. It was just, "Here's some names you know, and they have loot, go forth and slay them."

You might as well say, "It's just your opinion that the sun is hotter than my coffee, it seems really hot to me!"

Maybe you didn't like the Pandaren. Maybe you didn't enjoy the expansion overall. But claiming it had the, "Worst Lore" or something is very blatant bias.
    It still doesnt make it good.