Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why are so many asians representing Esports?

I never understood this. Why are so many esports people asian? Can non-asians just not compete with them or something? Where's the skill come from? Even american and uk teams seem to have alot of asian esports players like for lol, and sc2. What's the deal?

Because computer gaming is common in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    And this is fact, not racism or stereotyping. I mean, look at South Korea specifically.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I'm not sure about normal gamers, but among the "professional" players a lot of the Asian players have a higher average actions per minute than players from other countries.

Not sure if it's a genetics thing, or if they just have more hardcore excessive players from a lack of other things to do that get attention.

While still being on topic: Why are there so many African-Americans in normal sports, most especially, Basketball and (American) Football? There's still people of other races in there, yet despite the population of America being ~65% Caucasian, you see most teams (being in America, mind you) being predominantly African-American. It's the same concept.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-24 at 10:13 PM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Exactly. It's the same why cold countries do best in hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    I'm not sure about normal gamers, but among the "professional" players a lot of the Asian players have a higher average actions per minute than players from other countries.

Not sure if it's a genetics thing, or if they just have more hardcore excessive players from a lack of other things to do that get attention.
    what's the asian reflex secret? Is it genetic to asians? Seriously, why is it less common elsewear??

It really depends on if you mean "Worldwide" or more specifically something like "Among American teams."

If it's the former, it's because Korea and Japan don't stigmatize the concept as much as we still do.
    If it's the latter, it may simply be a combination of genetics allowing certain increased mental reaction times to be faster or a societal expectation of "Asians are smarter and better at games" and thus they get first dibs.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Really comes down to better discipline than foreigners, really.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuvna View Post
    Exactly. It's the same why cold countries do best in hockey.
    Oooooh Caaanadaaaaa~

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    what's the asian reflex secret? Is it genetic to asians? Seriously, why is it less common elsewear??
    Might be, but keep in mind that everyone's different and not all Asians have better reflexes, and some people of other races do have better reflexes, especially with the mixing of the races that used to be taboo in the 20th century is now very common in the 21st (meaning that if it IS genetic, it could be spread through the masses at some point, at least to a degree much higher than today).

Or hell, it could all be bullshit and just come down to "it's the stereotype, live with it", again, going back to my African-American concept in normal sports, "it's the stereotype, live with it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably more socially acceptable to spend excessive amounts of time on the computer.

The actual answer is a cultural thing with video games. There is an extremely hardcore set of gamers in many Asian countries. As E-Sports becomes a more widespread thing we're just finding that they already had a strong infrastructure set up.

Sadly though, all the fun answers to this question are slightly racist and will probably get me banned.... again.
    Is this where the header goes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asians are born with +5 bonus to 1337 ninja skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    Sadly though, all the fun answers to this question are slightly racist and will probably get me banned.... again.
    Racism is defined as seeing a race more/less superior/inferior than other races. The topic at hand is "why are Asians more represented?" and discussing that, unless you want it to be, isn't exactly racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage of Rage View Post
    Asians are born with +5 bonus to 1337 ninja skills.
    ^ This is what the mods would call "tip-toeing on the infraction line" levels of racism, Orcbert.

They take it more seriously and have a larger amount of hardcore gamers. Americans and Europeans tend to be a lot more causal and have less discipline / focus.

It (obviously) isn't that Asians are inherently better, but rather they are generally more serious and invested in it.

Largely a culture difference in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    While still being on topic: Why are there so many African-Americans in normal sports, most especially, Basketball and (American) Football? There's still people of other races in there, yet despite the population of America being ~65% Caucasian, you see most teams (being in America, mind you) being predominantly African-American. It's the same concept.
    Because of genetic advantage and a greater cultural interest in Basketball. Football has more white players, but the high profile positions really favor the fast sprint muscles found in those of African decent. However, no one is beating whitey in being large and not moving off the front line.

Either way, false analogy to E-Sports. I don't think there's a video game playing gene.
    Is this where the header goes?

Cause they suck at real sports!

Casual racism aside, who knows, they seem to be better at them in general.

*Disclaimer* 1st comment is taking the piss
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2014-09-24 at 10:23 PM.

Evo have many non Asian winners. Most of the Japanese players were the first ones out, even though they have been considered that best at fighting games. To say that simply because you're Asian you're a faster mouse clicker is kinda silly.
    Last edited by TheGuvna; 2014-09-24 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Asia, many young children don't have as much personal responsibility fostered on them as we do in Western society.

In America, for example, a child is expected to grow up, hit 18, graduate high school, move out, go to college, start own life, etc.

In Asia, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a child to do nothing and live at home doing whatever they want.

So, in short: practice. They have MUCH more free time.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    In Asia, many young children don't have as much personal responsibility fostered on them as we do in Western society.

In America, for example, a child is expected to grow up, hit 18, graduate high school, move out, go to college, start own life, etc.

In Asia, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a child to do nothing and live at home doing whatever they want.

So, in short: practice. They have MUCH more free time.
    I'm not sure if you've actually looked at the educational system and the expectations made of students in countries like Japan, China, and Korea...

Because that's kinda the total opposite of what happens there in terms of what happens.