Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Disappointed in 3.0... ( no hate thread )

I have been playing Rift here and there since release. I played it before summer for about 3 months then 1 month after summer , trying to like the game again. But at the end i was bored, like mostly are before a new expansion. Now I realized it was released this monday and I gave it a try. But meh.. The patch notes are none existent. It doesn't seem that there is any changes to spells at all. just a few new ones i guess, havent seen them. I walk around and everything feels the same.

Since i haven even played more than 30 min, this is what i see is new to the game:

1. Dungeons and raids. That is it. For me as a pve:er this could just have been a normal patch where they give us a new dungeon and a raid, like they always do. I call wasted ''expansion''

am i the only one who feel this way? maybe i was hoping too much?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    I have been playing Rift here and there since release. I played it before summer for about 3 months then 1 month after summer , trying to like the game again. But at the end i was bored, like mostly are before a new expansion. Now I realized it was released this monday and I gave it a try. But meh.. The patch notes are none existent. It doesn't seem that there is any changes to spells at all. just a few new ones i guess, havent seen them. I walk around and everything feels the same.

Since i haven even played more than 30 min, this is what i see is new to the game:

1. Dungeons and raids. That is it. For me as a pve:er this could just have been a normal patch where they give us a new dungeon and a raid, like they always do. I call wasted ''expansion''

I think there is five more levels to grind, and new areas to do quests in... which usually not are given in a normal patch :P
    As a pvper, however, not much new on the table it seems :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I think there is five more levels to grind, and new areas to do quests in... which usually not are given in a normal patch :P
    ye well i don't count that as new. that is over within few days . all i care about is end game

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to play through leveling content to get to the endgame. Unless you pay someone to level for you(which violates TOC), then you have to experience the leveling experience and leveling zones in Nightmare Tide so far are very good. I haven't been bored at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Ember Isle? Dendrome? The addition quest zone in EI later in SL? Ok, maybe not 5 levels worth, but definitely new areas to do quests in. Levels aside, which ultimately don't matter because even if you are not gaining levels you are gaining PA which offers stat gains as well, this looks and sounds like a glorified patch, not a full on expansion.

The patch notes are none existent. It doesn't seem that there is any changes to spells at all. just a few new ones i guess, havent seen them.
    They are right there in the patch forum at the top of the page. Just like all the other patch notes... ever.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-22-14-eu.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...0-23-14-a.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...0-24-14-a.html

There are 3 zones, a new rift type, new rift invasions, a new minion system, new chronicles, class skill mastery, water mounts, a new PVP zone and the new dungeons & raids you already mentioned.

Some of the NT expansion material was pre-seeded in that the new classes came out before the expansion. As well as some of the teaser story dungeons.

I feel it is a kind of a "small" expansion. But that is only by comparison to Storm Legion. SL was a major overhaul of the game though; NT is not. So it makes sense SL was more expansive comparatively.

all i care about is end game
    Then didn't they give you exactly what the Rift endgame entails? There are new raids and dungeons- which you already mentioned.

I am not understanding you here.

I went into this a bit on my EL stream but people don't fully realize yet some of the endgame stuff that available. Nightmare Rifts are a big one. Alot of what is there hasn't been discovered yet. There is a reason why you have to unlock the tiers. The intent was for Nightmare Rifts to have a endgame like progression. In NMR Tier 5 the bosses have 5-7 mechanics and possibly phases (not sure if they happened or not, it was something that was talked about). The bosses in each tier are different. And each boss has special loot it can drop (albeit very rarely). I feel like some of this stuff should have been made more clear, modern MMO players aren't explorers anymore to the extent that they used to be pre-WOW. they want to know what things are there for them to achieve. But NT is not lacking in content. It is small compared to SL but thats because SL was way way to big for a game the size of Rift. SL might have made sense in a game with a playerbase like WOW, but it was just to much for Rift. NT I think they got the size pretty much right. And there is a new zone coming, its not been officially announced yet but you can see if blocked off on PTS and Live (its to the far right of Draumheim) and based on Datamining is called Myrkur Depths. This is mentioned several times in the story quests as a last bastion for the most powerful remaining Akvan. So its sounds much like a Dendrome type zone.

Deleted
    NT is smaller expansion in land size from SL , but this is good for me tbh.
    SL was huge, with 11 zones if im not wrong. Most of them was empty of content and design.When u was done with questing most ppl never went back to do anything and was empty of ppl.
    NT zones in the other hand are full of content and the zones design are just awesome!Also these 3 zones will always have ppl cause they are end game zones. As for the end game NT has nothing less than SL had. New dungeons,raids,gear and notoriety grind, tons of new vanity items to get that SL had nothing.
    So till now i like NT better.

Deleted
    yea what i mean is that all Rift's new stuff is always '' return to....'' when it comes to dungeon and raids. they seem a bit lazy :/
    but i still play the game. got an awesome guild and i love playing after an expansion since everyone starts fresh

yea what i mean is that all Rift's new stuff is always '' return to....'' when it comes to dungeon and raids. they seem a bit lazy :/
    but i still play the game. got an awesome guild and i love playing after an expansion since everyone starts fresh
    There are two return to dungeons which are new btw, these are not intrepids. You have 3 other all new dungeons, one in each zone. An all new 10 man and an all new 20 man. Try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem I feel with Rift is, it hasn't improved at all since launch. It was great when it first came out, but nothing has changed since then. I used to think Rift looked great, now I find it rather ugly.

I look at games like WoW and SWTOR, which actually improve the game when they launch expansions, Rift just stays the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    The problem I feel with Rift is, it hasn't improved at all since launch. It was great when it first came out, but nothing has changed since then. I used to think Rift looked great, now I find it rather ugly.

I look at games like WoW and SWTOR, which actually improve the game when they launch expansions, Rift just stays the same.
    really? no improve since lauch?
    Have u ever played the game or u are just assuming things?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...s-changed.html
    Here is a topic of what have changed in game all these years....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    really? no improve since lauch?
    Have u ever played the game or u are just assuming things?
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...s-changed.html
    Here is a topic of what have changed in game all these years....
    I meant things like performance, graphics, playability, models etc.

Deleted
    oh sorry, didnt understand it
    Performance really need a change, hope they will do sth. But graphics or models don't think they need any change

Graphics are still on-par with any other modern MMO on the market, it's not really in need of an overhaul there.

New models have been introduced with each expansion, though redoing all playable character models so shortly after launch is pretty silly, and pretty unreasonable for a smaller studio like Trion.

Performance is absolutely a major issue and it's damn shameful how poorly the game still runs compared to many other MMO's on the market with similar levels of graphical fidelity.

Playability...not sure exactly what you mean here. Classes have been improved/refined/streamlined since launch so that there's less bloat than there was before (especially with macroing), but I'm not sure what you're specifically talking about beyond that.

OT: Well, I'm still super turned off by how they've decided to gate the epic Rift currency behind weekly caps and how they've set the price for earrings/planewalker water so high in order to strongarm folks towards the packs, but I'm warming up to the expansion. Felt it was a really rough start, but as I'm leveling I'm finding myself quite enjoying the variety of stuff I do via questing, even if the endless "run back and forth between quest hub" is getting on my nerves. First dungeon was pretty solid, still haven't done the second (just hit 64 and I've been too lazy to queue up for the second yet since I'm enjoying the questing).

I've been thinking of buying the $25 pack anyways, and it unlocking earring slots and planewalker water will be nice, but at the same time I don't want to support that kind of behavior. So I'm kinda stuck : /

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Graphics are still on-par with any other modern MMO on the market, it's not really in need of an overhaul there.
    Not really. Have you played Tera or AA and seen what the graphics are like in those games? Rift is pretty far behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not really. Have you played Tera or AA and seen what the graphics are like in those games? Rift is pretty far behind them.
    Honestly, when I see Rift at maxed out settings (which is pretty much only when Trion streams, since they're just about the only ones I've seen with rigs strong enough to do so) it looks pretty amazeballs, it's just that you rarely see it because the game runs so terribly.

Though to be fair, you're right, I should have replaced "any other modern MMO" with "most other modern MMO's", as you're correct that games like Tera definitely outshine it in many areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, when I see Rift at maxed out settings (which is pretty much only when Trion streams, since they're just about the only ones I've seen with rigs strong enough to do so) it looks pretty amazeballs, it's just that you rarely see it because the game runs so terribly.

Though to be fair, you're right, I should have replaced "any other modern MMO" with "most other modern MMO's", as you're correct that games like Tera definitely outshine it in many areas.
    I play on max, when not doing world events or raids. It looks ok. There are many other games that look much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I play on max, when not doing world events or raids. It looks ok. There are many other games that look much better.
    I envy you. I'm on a bit below medium and it still chugs along when there's more than a half dozen folks on screen. Trying to make it around the new main city (ugh that place is a nightmare to navigate...but I guess that's fitting with the expansion title?) is awful. Between single digit FPS at times and relatively frequent load screens/4-5 second lockups, I'm finding myself doing everything possible to avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is really weird performance wise, i can set everything to max and get between 30-60fps depending on the area i cans et it to lowest and i can get 30-60 fps depending on the area :S Really wish they would fix it