Looking forward to Wednesday now
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabuzan View Post
    26k HW... lol.

Looking forward to Wednesday now
    I miss my multimillion HW crits on Horridon back in the old days.

Deleted
    hi, I have 51% haste unbuff in tank gear, should I drop some haste to compensate for the buff ? (ie : 6% ?) 572 ilvl should be enough to not worry about surviving yes ?

Quote Originally Posted by metasaigneur View Post
    hi, I have 51% haste unbuff in tank gear, should I drop some haste to compensate for the buff ? (ie : 6% ?) 572 ilvl should be enough to not worry about surviving yes ?
    You should. (Personally I'd drop since very little point in staying @ 50% haste atm)

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I can't find it. Are there different weights I should be using for AMR during the pre-patch?

Given that you can't reforge anything, just pick the pieces of gear that will get you to about 37% haste unbuffed if you use the elixir or 45% haste unbuffed if you don't, and have bonus armor or mastery as the second stat.

You only need 43.5 - ish % haste before raid buff. Raid buff is giving more than just a flat 5% haste on top of your haste.

Well, I tip my cap to you guys. For once I tried pushing for rankings, and even though my guild kept screwing me at every turn (like on Nazgrim my co-tank pulls the boss away during Execute phase wtf), I was still a ways off from a top parse and none of what they did would've mattered. 96/97th percentile on most kills, but nowhere near the Jellos/Lazel level.

Prot Thread: Post - 6.x

I have some questions about prot threat post-6.0:
    • Has our threat (snap agro & aoe) worsened?
    • What are the experiences of the other Mythic Prot Pallies in post 6.0?

Gear: 582
    Weapon/Shield: 588s
    Spec: Haste (old) -> Mastery + Haste (now)

I tank alongside a bear and his threat in 5.X was pretty insane since he was all crit (60%) which is threat bread & butter. Single target with vengeance swapping I was fine. For initial agro, wings and holy avenger kept me strong. AOE threat he would obviously get snap agro but it really came down to whoever gained the most vengeance.

Post-6.0 it's a bit worse. The loss of wings hurts but I can maintain single target pretty well compared to him. I find myself having to use SoTruth (not ideal as a tank trying to self-sustain) but I don't mind as I can transition later. For the AOE, however, I simply have nothing to offer. Consecration & hammer are not only worthless against my Bear's threat but also against the instant-dps threat of the group. I have not looked to see if the bear is getting misdirects as I'm sure the rogues are doing that to each other for the additional damage. It takes a lot of effort to tab/click target each mob to CS/J and as i do so threat is lost on the previous mobs. Feels like when I pull all I'm doing is trying to catch up to the group instead of maintaining a lead.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong in the AOE department so I am seeking advice.

AOE Threat
    It's dynamic but I mostly do the following: I use AS (3-target) to pull initial agro then drop consecration where I tank the mobs. I then tap a Hammer and Holy Wrath to help keep the focus on me while I then wind up to tab/click target to hell with AS > CS+J > HW. This is all with SoT or SoR up. In the end, dps hits what they want or the bear comes in and literally hits once and all things turn towards him.

I've been tanking a long time and my group clears mythic just fine each week (and heroic before). I just feel like a burden to the group now'days. I don't know how my survivability compares with the bear as things melt in raid now so quickly. In the past there was a tradeoff where I could survive almost healerless in some fights and, while my damage with vengeance was outstanding, the threat and damage of the bear in equal situations was simply better while his survivability was not on par with my mine. I accepted these conditions because we each offered something different. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I know things might change at 100 as Empowered Shield and Improved consecration should help but i'm sure other tanks will receive similar buffs (plus who knows how nerfed that will all get later). I'm at a crossroads deciding which toon to main. I absolutely love tanking and I am hoping I'm screwing up somewhere so I can fix it rather than admit mechanic defeat and move to another class.

Thanks in advance for comments.
    Last edited by EAKHawkEye; 2014-10-29 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for the quick and useful response - I'll focus more on crit for now and forget about insight for the time (sad).

I checked a few people using wowprogress and I noticed the gems for haste + crit are pretty popular and it does have a significant impact on survive since parry on some gets past 45% base with little effort.

As you can tell by my gear score I took a break for a bit and, as a result, have been passing on some gear since it doesn't really matter now. So the 4pc I still use with WoG but it is not at all necessary. I was considering getting Sanctified Wrath to help with AOE but I would prefer not to part with Holy Avenger for single target smashery & mitigation.

Do you even use Hammer? It feels so worthless especially without vengeance to ramp up the damage. Perhaps if i crit more it could be properly utilized. From my description of how I try to obtain and maintain agro - anything I can do to improve from your perspective?
    Last edited by EAKHawkEye; 2014-10-29 at 11:19 PM.

Deleted
    You should also go wtih the legendary damage cloak and consider using the damage meta as well.

Deleted
    Hei paladins. So I'm about 3 weeks into being 90, got myself to 578ilvl and I have a couple of question, mostly about Garrosh (on any difficulty).

In terms of damage taken I have no problems solo tanking it, although I notice sometimes stacks don't reset during whilring, is there something I can do to ensure they do?
    And picking up adds in p1 I always seem to lose aggro to bladestorming warriors. I have conc down when they arrive, try and AS one side as they come in then holy wrath + hammer of righteous when they come in range. I notice warriors charging out to bladestorm and dying before adds even get to me, any suggestions how I can get around this? I can only salv 1 wave, but doesn't help if there's 2 warriors. Other classes AoE is np

When you have idiots in your group just let them die. Bladestorming adds that haven´t even been looked at by a tank is stupid to say the least.

Mechanics > Recount/Skada

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    When you have idiots in your group just let them die. Bladestorming adds that haven´t even been looked at by a tank is stupid to say the least.

Mechanics > Recount/Skada
    hm, on BrM I can throw kegs as they're coming in then AoE taunt from statue and that's enough, I was just wondering if Paladin had any similar tricks I could use? not having an AoE taunt seems like a bit of a hinderance.

Deleted
    hmm hammer is a good suggestion cheers.
    This is mostly in pugs in heroic (farming shoulders, zzz). The guild mythic run it wasn't a problem at all. Mostly because our warriors aren't eejits. but in those pugs the adds can be up for quite a while, long enough to be a problem at least. But really I was just asking in general since I felt like I was doing something wrong when it comes to AoE threat. Cheers for the replies

10+ Year Old Account
    Think I'm about to buy WOD, it looks so interesting. Don't really have the time but ehhh. Much against my better judgement. I will return.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo hows everyone finding Wod? Personally I think it's fucking fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel I'm really qualified any more. If someone else is then by all means, make a new one or butcher this until it resembles something fit for purpose.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazel View Post
    Are you living an expansion behind?
    Yo,

Well long story short, I have been asked to switch from a prot warrior to a prot pally for mythic raiding this tier. So I left the warrior froum to come in here and see no wod updates to any of the prot guides... I did go throw the [Prot] WoD Discussion thread but even with that is not very clear what is going on in that thread as many of you are divided.