Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

WHY do you hate Garrisons ? ? (For those that dislike them)

So WHY do certain people here dislike Garrisons so much exactly?

What are your specific issues? Just curious.
    Last edited by Mithan; 2014-11-05 at 09:15 PM.

I dislike that they've made them such a huge part of the expansion, integrated them into the leveling experience and pretty much had them replace professions. I feel it should of been a fun side thing you had the option to do, but because they devoted so much to Garrisons there is no avoiding them.

I also main a horde toon and absolutely despise how they look. I will enjoy them more on my alliance alts.

Deleted
    Too single player in a supposed Massively Multiplayer Online game, that being said I think they will be a success.

I don't hate them, but I think they should have kept professions seperate from them.

I think most people probably hate them due to ignorance more than anything.

I had a similar opinion until I took some time to read up on them, now I am quite excited.

It is far too important that it is becoming mandatory for everyone. It's basically a p2p facebook game which will not appeal to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

The only thing I dislike is the location for the Horde. I'm hoping they stick to their ambitions, and let us move the base in a later patch.

My "big picture" issue with them is that they are a clear message from Blizzard: we create; you consume. You can pick which buttons to mash in a fight, but you're a tool of whoever the story's really about, doing whatever they tell you to do. It's like the McDonald's of online gaming, and the garrison really drives that home for me.

More specifically, I don't care to play through a story about being the king's general, establishing a base, staffing the base and commanding a small army to do things in the name of the king. What little customization was offered at Blizzcon was rescinded, leaving us with a uniform space in a fixed location in which we can make a few multiple choice style decisions. The only difference between Fort You and Fort Me and Fort Other Player #2,982,333 is whether you picked a stable or a foundry for that spot, and a tailor or a smithy for that other spot, and so forth. There are some places where monuments can be selected for specific accomplishments (mainly killing raid bosses,) you get to pick whether your followers are Mickey Mouse and Goofy or Mr. Incredible and Jack Sparrow, and that's the end of it.

I liked when the game was about my character exploring the world and having adventures. That stopped being what the game was about years ago, but never has my character's identity, occupation and future been so rigidly, specifically laid out as it would have been in WoD. I was already off the ride, but I was hoping for something interesting to pull me back in. I really wanted them to take the game in one direction, and they totally went in the other (and finally, plainly stated that they didn't want to take the game anywhere I wanted to be).
    Last edited by Kaganfindel; 2014-11-05 at 09:12 PM.

They take the person out of the world. Your basically taken out the multiplayer experience and it feels like you are isolated away from people. Stops the immersion of the game.
    We didnt need garrisons all this time why do we need them now?
    Id rather of gotten content then garrisons. More raids more dungeons more BG's More everything. Imagine if they had of actually spent all that time on content the expansion might of turned out like the burning crusade with tons of content and things to do. Unfortunately they made garrisons and cut the content in half again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    I think most people probably hate them due to ignorance more than anything.

I had a similar opinion until I took some time to read up on them, now I am quite excited.
    If your excited about them maybe you were excited about the farm in MOP. I sure wasn't Im not into farmville just like im not into garrisons.
    Or maybe you were excited about the pokemon battles I mean pet battles, or the brawlers guild. Just a few things that were never ever needed in the game and lost us so much actual content.

You know instead of working on all that junk they could of released a raid or two in the Years of SOO.

Deleted
    There is a shitstorm coming once ppl see how little there is in this expansion.
    Garrisons are single player entities and rather dull.
    Professions were my favorite part of the game.
    We really didnt need them.

They made it mandatory, and lacks a lot of customization features. And as a Horde player it just looks ugly. I would've much rather have a single house that I can place anywhere on the world, customise with new furniture and stuff.

Because they are around 70% of the endgame content and they take 5min a day

Nearly mandatory
    making professions less important
    single player mode in a MMO
    time consuming
    no costumization
    Horde one looks really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    My "big picture" issue with them is that they are a clear message from Blizzard: we create; you consume. You can pick which buttons to mash in a fight, but you're a tool of whoever the story's really about, doing whatever they tell you to do. It's like the McDonald's of online gaming, and the garrison really drives that home for me.

More specifically, I don't care to play through a story about being the king's general, establishing a base, staffing the base and commanding a small army to do things in the name of the king. What little customization was offered at Blizzcon was rescinded, leaving us with a uniform space in a fixed location in which we can make a few multiple choice style decisions. The only difference between Fort You and Fort Me and Fort Other Player #2,982,333 is whether you picked a stable or a foundry for that spot, and a tailor or a smithy for that other spot, and so forth. There are some places where monuments can be selected for specific accomplishments (mainly killing raid bosses,) you get to pick whether your followers are Mickey Mouse and Goofy or Mr. Incredible and Jack Sparrow, and that's the end of it.

I liked when the game was about my character exploring the world and having adventures. That stopped being what the game was about years ago, but never has my character's identity, occupation and future been so rigidly, specifically laid out as it would have been in WoD. I was already off the ride, but I was hoping for something interesting to pull me back in. I really wanted them to take the game in one direction, and they totally went in the other (and finally, plainly stated that they didn't want to take the game anywhere I wanted to be).
    I agree with this guy.

Even for someone who focuses on mythic raiding and rated PVP, Blizzard has poured so much time into garrisons, and basically them the penultimate feature of the entire expansion, that is will be near impossible to avoid them.

On a more RP level, my character is a DK, and building a base with a bunch of mortal humans/random race following him around and being "yes men" is completely out of his character.

The whole thing just turns me off.

I don't hate them, but I dislike why they exist.

This is apparently Blizzard's idea of what "player housing" should be. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually mesh with what player housing actually is, or what most players want from player housing. In fact, they went out of their way to make sure it was the very antithesis of player housing by utterly obliterating any customization options.

Now it's just a boring Farm 2.0. Something you all but have to do and maintain in order to stay competitive in the game.

In other words: Blizzard just doesn't fucking get it.

I think a lot of it is not necessarily people disliking them, but rather being disappointed that Garrisons are much less than they could have been, with zero cosmetic customisation etc.

I complain about Garrisons a lot, but I still think they're going to be a fun part of WoD. They're just a 5/10 rather than the 10/10 I was led to believe/hoped we'd be getting after last Blizzcon.

I hate them because they seem to have confused soooo many countless people. They are really well done. Anyone who thinks otherwise is expecting far too much from an expansion already doing its job.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    I don´t dislike it i´m just not too thrilled about it. It´s basically the daily quests at the beginning of MoP in disguise as far is a can tell from my beta experience but it´s fresh enough to not be all too boring. (perks,unlockables etc)

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    I don't hate them, but I dislike why they exist.

This is apparently Blizzard's idea of what "player housing" should be. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually mesh with what player housing actually is, or what most players want from player housing. In fact, they went out of their way to make sure it was the very antithesis of player housing by utterly obliterating any customization options.

Now it's just a boring Farm 2.0. Something you all but have to do and maintain in order to stay competitive in the game.

In other words: Blizzard just doesn't fucking get it.
    They totally get it; they just don't want to sell what you want to buy. You want "Have it Your Way," and they want to sell "I'm Lovin' It." You want creative control? Shop elsewhere. You want to be told a story, with some fighting and a compelling rat race? Pull up a tray.

I hate them because change and new stuff is scary!