Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More than 800 roadkill salvage permits issued in first year

First time I've heard of this

more-than-roadkill-salvage-permits-issued-in-first-year/

Nearly a year after Montana initiated a method to legalize collection of roadkill, more than 800 permits have been issued.

“I’m elated,” said Rep. Steve Lavin, R-Kalispell, who carried the bill in the last Legislature.

Lavin said his purpose behind supporting the bill was to get meat into the freezers of people who could use it, so animals killed in collisions with vehicles wouldn’t go to waste.

“I’ve heard a lot of positive comments about it,” said Lavin, who is also a captain in the Montana Highway Patrol. He also endured a lot of jokes about the issue.

Painless permits

Under the new law, free permits can be downloaded from the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks’ website. They can also be issued by officers, such as the Montana Highway Patrol, who respond to wildlife-vehicle collisions.

“We’ve made it pretty painless for folks to get online and do this,” said Jim Kropp, FWP’s chief of law enforcement.

Although the agency had initially opposed the measure, Kropp said the program seems to be reasonably problem-free.

“There was a lot of concern at first about how we were going to get our arms around this,” Kropp said. “We canvassed a lot of other states who had similar programs. No new programs are ever without problems, but we’re happy with where we’re at now.”

Top diners

In terms of the number of permits issued, Flathead County leads the state for the most roadkill permits at 135, followed by Lincoln with 92 and Missoula with 83. Gallatin County tallied 76, Ravalli had 72 and Lewis and Clark had 46. Yellowstone, the largest county by population in the state, saw 29 permits issued, Cascade had 24 and Carbon County recorded 11.

Kropp said it only makes sense that more of the collisions and collections take place in Western Montana where the majority of the state’s people live — thus more traffic — and wildlife is plentiful in low-lying areas close to highways.

“There are a lot of animals that probably still aren’t salvageable, but people are trying,” Kropp said. “The damage may be more significant when people open them up.”

Broken down by whether the animal was hit by the person who requested the permit or found the animal along the roadside, the numbers show about twice as many picked up from the road — accounting for more than half the permits — compared to those who were involved in a vehicle-wildlife collision.

Reflecting Montana's wildlife population, the majority of the roadkill retrieved were whitetail deer — more than 550; followed by mule deer — nearly 150; elk — 120; and 33 moose.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Could you perhaps post your own point of view on these matters, rather then just copy & pasting the news report? You always do this, and there is little to go on when you don't give us your view on the story.

want not waste not

Had family do this in the 30s-50s in rural Oklahoma.

Like the previous poster "waste not, want not"
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Why do you need a permit? Just take the thing. Save everyone the trouble of cleaning it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Why do you need a permit? Just take the thing. Save everyone the trouble of cleaning it up.
    What, and waste a perfectly good opportunity for some pointless regulation? That's not the government I know...

10+ Year Old Account
    Roadkill doesn't go to waste, its decomposed and eaten by hundreds of different things and recycled back into the ecosystem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Permits do a number of things.

1) Prevents a free-for-all. Usually roadkill is tagged and picked up later. It creates a legal 'dibs' system.
    2) It allows tracking of information/roadkill
    3) It prevents the sale of parts (antlers, etc)
    4) It protects certain types of animals from 'convenient' roadkill. If you can't salvage certain animals, people won't try to hit them (Yes, people do that, sadly)
    5) It does generate some revenue for the state to fund the guys who actually go out and pick up the stuff that can't be salvaged. Nevermind. Permits are free, so any idea that it's the 'government taking money' is just false. Unless you get fined for illegal salvage.
    6) It also encourages people to put down injured animals, instead of just driving off.

A lot of people see 'roadkill' as ... small animals. Squirrels and the like. This is largely regarding things like elk, deer, bears, etc. People don't scrape messes off the ground.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-11-16 at 06:05 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    So...a good thing then?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    So...a good thing then?
    Yes, want some grilled squirl? Its.. fresh..

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Could you perhaps post your own point of view on these matters, rather then just copy & pasting the news report? You always do this, and there is little to go on when you don't give us your view on the story.
    He's just trying to up his post count and get people to go look at his poorly done comics.

I do wonder if any dining establishments are serving these up to unknowing diners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Permits do a number of things.

1) Prevents a free-for-all. Usually roadkill is tagged and picked up later. It creates a legal 'dibs' system.
    Im pretty happy with first come first serve. I don't see a need to have anything further

2) It allows tracking of information/roadkill
    I dont see how. People are pretty friggin lazy. I wouldnt want to fill out forms after I fillet a moose. If someone stops me, flash em my permit. I doubt theyd follow up or even stop and ask to see said permit.

3) It prevents the sale of parts (antlers, etc)
    Its already dead. I dont really care at that point. Id rather it be used than someone shooting an animal for the antlers instead.

4) It protects certain types of animals from 'convenient' roadkill. If you can't salvage certain animals, people won't try to hit them (Yes, people do that, sadly)
    People will hit shit regardless, sometimes because theyre heartless. But if you want purposely to hit a deer or a moose, enjoy the damage to your car. People will still scoop up whatever they can find and eat it. It takes 45 seconds to scoop up a pheasant and throw it in the back of your truck. In a rural road, nobody will see that!

6) It also encourages people to put down injured animals, instead of just driving off.
    If they don't have a permit, this will change nothing.

god, that's disgusting. the shit people shovel into their mouths on a daily basis through out the world is just... there's no words. it's fucking hilarious how so many modern people want us to live more like animals than people.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    god, that's disgusting. the shit people shovel into their mouths on a daily basis through out the world is just... there's no words. it's fucking hilarious how so many modern people want us to live more like animals than people.
    So a few things...
    1. There is very little difference if it's hunted or hit by a car as far as meat quality as long as you collect it fairly quickly.
    2. I'm glad you can afford meat on a regular basis, but not everyone can. It's cool that you look down on them though.
    3. Most people are more in tune with what they are eating then you are. In many countries we try everything in our power to make our food seem less like an animal than it was, but many people actually want to know what it is they are eating and will utilize every scrap of the animal they can.

So kudos to you in a little over 2 lines exhibiting ignorance, contempt of the poor, and xenophobia!
    Is this where the header goes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just ... yuck.

They do that here in Ohio too. It's great. If someone hits a deer then the sheriff has a list of citizens to call to see if they want the body. If it isn't too badly mutilated that is. Good way to get free meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    How vile. I'll stick to my processed meat, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    So a few things...
    1. There is very little difference if it's hunted or hit by a car as far as meat quality as long as you collect it fairly quickly.
    2. I'm glad you can afford meat on a regular basis, but not everyone can. It's cool that you look down on them though.
    3. Most people are more in tune with what they are eating then you are. In many countries we try everything in our power to make our food seem less like an animal than it was, but many people actually want to know what it is they are eating and will utilize every scrap of the animal they can.

So kudos to you in a little over 2 lines exhibiting ignorance, contempt of the poor, and xenophobia!
    i don't hold contempt for the poor, as i am the poor. i would have the government take from the rich and make everyone upper middle class if i could.

even being poor, i can eat like a normal person and less like a savage. also, if it's xenophobic to eat as though i no longer live in a cave, i'm proud to be xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't hold contempt for the poor, as i am the poor. i would have the government take from the rich and make everyone upper middle class if i could.

even being poor, i can eat like a normal person and less like a savage. also, if it's xenophobic to eat as though i no longer live in a cave, i'm proud to be xenophobic.
    What exactly makes it eating like a savage? The fact that they're wild game? Or is it that they've been hit by a car? I mean good meat is good meat.