Computer not powering on after unboxing from shipping

Hey all, not sure the problem here. I recently moved from Florida to Minnesota and had my computer shipped by UPS. The box wasn't really beat up all that much and the bubble wrap looked pretty good but when I plugged everything in for the first time it looked like the PSU didn't do anything. No lights anywhere, no fans, no beeps. I replugged in everything and the CPU/Mobo cords were the problem. Solved that. Now my monitors aren't showing any signal. GPU fans spinning, but no display at all on either of my monitors. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pogolols View Post
    Hey all, not sure the problem here. I recently moved from Florida to Minnesota and had my computer shipped by UPS. The box wasn't really beat up all that much and the bubble wrap looked pretty good but when I plugged everything in for the first time it looked like the PSU didn't do anything. No lights anywhere, no fans, no beeps. I replugged in everything and the CPU/Mobo cords were the problem. Solved that. Now my monitors aren't showing any signal. GPU fans spinning, but no display at all on either of my monitors. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you
    Some basic questions/suggestions, replug gpu power cables, does your mobo show any number code?(if it has a display for it, if so what model) did you replug the gpu and try single monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Some basic questions/suggestions, replug gpu power cables, does your mobo show any number code?(if it has a display for it, if so what model) did you replug the gpu and try single monitor?
    Check with the shipping company and find out if they used a RDD2 scanner at some point in your systems time with them. That scanner is notorious for sidesplitting the metallic connections with in the PSU of Pc's.

This has also been known to wipe the memory in some droids applications.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Sorry I had to.

Also does it make any sounds or beeps?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Yes I've tried using a single monitor at a time and using VGA/DVI/HDMI, none work. Also tried plugging into Mobo / GPU. Just replugged my PCI-E cords in GPU, and im not sure about the number code but I'm about 90% sure its a GA-Z97X mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    Check with the shipping company and find out if they used a RDD2 scanner at some point in your systems time with them. That scanner is notorious for sidesplitting the metallic connections with in the PSU of Pc's.

This has also been known to wipe the memory in some droids applications.
    I'll check it out and call UPS tomorrow if nothing else works tonight. My PSU seems to be powering everything up now though, so would that still cause issues with monitors not getting signal?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Sorry I had to.

Also does it make any sounds or beeps?
    No sounds or beeps but I dont have speakers to hook it up with, just my headset, ill give it a go and see if anything beeps on power up.
    edit- no beeps/sounds

Yes I've tried using a single monitor at a time and using VGA/DVI/HDMI, none work. Also tried plugging into Mobo / GPU. Just replugged my PCI-E cords in GPU, and im not sure about the number code but I'm about 90% sure its a GA-Z97X mobo.
    You got another gpu to test with? If not clear the cmos (switch in the top right, check manual if you don't how to).

I don't have another to test with, I'll see if i can figure out how to reset the cmos but i dont have the manual with me, i left it at my parents house

Just went ahead and turned off the power and removed the battery in the mobo, that gives me the same outcome, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Pogolols; 2014-11-20 at 03:19 AM.

it may have not run its initial boot. Try pulling all but the leftmost ram dimm and turn it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    it may have not run its initial boot. Try pulling all but the leftmost ram dimm and turn it back on.
    Expanding a bit on what Linked said, take out all of the RAM and try to turn it on. You should hear a beep code that indicates no or bad RAM (obviously) if you don't hear a beep code then it's either PSU or MOBO. If you do hear a beep code I'd presume both are fine and it's your GPU.

We got beeps. Still no monitor signal.
    Last edited by Pogolols; 2014-11-20 at 04:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We got beeps. Still no monitor signal.
    Check the guide for motherboard online. It should have a error code list for the beeps you are getting.

Also try connecting your monitor to your motherboard/integrated graphics.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-11-20 at 05:11 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Just took out video card and went VGA into mobo. VGA was the only input that worked out of HDMI/DVI. My video card doesnt have a VGA input, nor do I have an adaptor. I guess ill just use the VGA into mobo, but does this mean my video card is useless if I plug into the mobo, or will i still get something out of it? Also, I tried going DVI into my second monitor into the video card and I got an error message that said check video cable rather than not receiving signal, possible faulty cable? no HDMI on second monitor so i cant check.
    edit-
    Monitor doesnt work whenever I have video card in as well, so just leaving it out.
    Last edited by Pogolols; 2014-11-20 at 06:07 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just took out video card and went VGA into mobo. VGA was the only input that worked out of HDMI/DVI. My video card doesnt have a VGA input, nor do I have an adaptor. I guess ill just use the VGA into mobo, but does this mean my video card is useless if I plug into the mobo, or will i still get something out of it? Also, I tried going DVI into my second monitor into the video card and I got an error message that said check video cable rather than not receiving signal, possible faulty cable? no HDMI on second monitor so i cant check.
    edit-
    Monitor doesnt work whenever I have video card in as well, so just leaving it out.
    So it does turn on then. Maybe try a adapter, or maybe a new dvi cable. It is most likely your video card, or maybe your psu and it does not have enough power to power it?

Deleted
    RDD2? According to google, you made this word up. What is it exactly?
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e8fd9f1; 2014-11-20 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    So it does turn on then. Maybe try a adapter, or maybe a new dvi cable. It is most likely your video card, or maybe your psu and it does not have enough power to power it?
    I'm not sure, ill have to try the new cable when my girlfriend goes to bed and use hers. It was all working 4 days ago when it was shipped. So unless the psu just got broken as well and cant anymore? not sure

- - - Updated - - -

So I filed a claim for my gpu with ups and they should be coming to pick it up tomorrow to do their inspection and hopefully i'll get my answer soon whether they'll pay me for damages or not. Just curious if anyone knows a surefire way to know if the video card is dead? I've tried everything in the thread. Currently I'm playing with my VGA input to my monitor through my mobo with my video card out. If I put the video card in and try to use the vga input to the mobo it will not display on my monitor. Are there any other things i can check to have a surefire way of knowing my video card is the problem? Im pretty sure it is but just to make sure, id like to try everything.

I'm not sure, ill have to try the new cable when my girlfriend goes to bed and use hers. It was all working 4 days ago when it was shipped. So unless the psu just got broken as well and cant anymore? not sure

- - - Updated - - -

So I filed a claim for my gpu with ups and they should be coming to pick it up tomorrow to do their inspection and hopefully i'll get my answer soon whether they'll pay me for damages or not. Just curious if anyone knows a surefire way to know if the video card is dead? I've tried everything in the thread. Currently I'm playing with my VGA input to my monitor through my mobo with my video card out. If I put the video card in and try to use the vga input to the mobo it will not display on my monitor. Are there any other things i can check to have a surefire way of knowing my video card is the problem? Im pretty sure it is but just to make sure, id like to try everything.
    Put it in a different PC, is the clear cut way of knowing.