Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

New Build Ultra Gaming - need advice

So I asked multiple E-shops that focus on PC's and such to make a build and to keep by the following request (I'll quote an earlier thread I made 4-5 months ago):

Good day MMO-C

Before I start explaining my situation I'll just fill in the form to give you guys the basics, I'll see you down below.

• Budget
      I had €1500 for a "worst case scenario", I'd rather stick to €1200-1300 max though.
    • Resolution
      I am using a 1680x1050 monitor atm but planning on switching to 1920x1080p.
    • Games / Settings Desired
      I'm going for Ultra, I can live with shadows and some setting on medium high though.
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
      Video editing / amv making but only for fun...nothing professional.
    • Country
      I live in Belgium.
    • Parts that can be reused
      Hard drives (4TB) (I do need a new SSD)
    • Do you need an OS?
      Yes.
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
      No.
    • Where to buy?
      If possible I'd prefer to get as much parts as possible from the same website/e-shop with a 2 year warranty near me (Belgium). I wouldn't mind ordering from a country near me if the price difference is worth it.

I'm open to all suggestions and ideas, thanks in advance!
    Now I received 3 mails back with suggestions, the following shopping carts are:

http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwagen/76679

http://www.coolblue.be/winkelmandje/prepare/251980071 (I don't know why the person wants me to buy 2 of each, I'll assume it was a typo)

Alternate shop:
    Now first of all I'd like to know whether these builds are decent and whether the shops are ripping me off on prices or not...I really want to play on ultra with new game releases (in general, I know some games are pushing really strong builds just due bad coding or engines).

The last shop "Alternate" suggested that my preffered choice of a Radeon R9 290 as a GFX card would not be good enough for gaming on ultra, is this true?

In case anyone knows a shop close to Belgium that does has a decent service and also the 2 year min. warranty time then I'm all ears.

Prebuilts are, 99% of the time, a ripoff. Mainly because A) they overcharge on their prices and B) they use cheap parts.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

All the things they send you are decent and not bad choices but:

The standards of a gaming PC right now for you to understand better:

CPU Wise:

i5 4460/440 = Cheap option near the standard, preferred for those that do not have a budget that can increase AT ALL.

i5 4590 = The preferred locked CPU choise, you save 20E while barely losing any performance over the locked 4690 its the "I wont OC" standard.

i5 4690K = the standard assuming you plan to OC (Its highly recommended nowadays cause its easy but people tend to forget its not for everyone)

i7 4790K = I got money to spend and want best of the best despite there is 0 gain

(Actually because the 4790K runs at 4.0Ghz by default there is a gain over the 3.5Ghz i5 but thats because of the frequency, at the same Hz they are the exact same)

GPU Wise:

280X the cheap option (Prices dropped, decent card 3GB VRAM can handle most decently at 1080p)

290/290X/970/780/780 Ti same category its the "Standard"

980 "I got money to spend" and at the same time want the 20% difference it provides over the other existing cards.

Now i am mentioning the older cards cause the prices dropped, performance is still great but they arent preferred unless you find an awesome deal and plan to buy the next AMD ones in a few months that they are coming out.

The default standard choice is 970 because along with the performance for the price it comes with awesome temperatures and low power consumption.

SSD:

The Crucial MX100 256GB is the default choice cause its cheap as hell, performance is great and its from a company thats trusted.

Samsung 840 Evo is avoided nowadays cause of the whole firmware thing so any decent builder/IT/Salesman would not recommend it unless he knows the person can deal with that stuff, updating firmware isnt hard but you get my point i think.

PSU Wise:

Seasonic/Superflower/XFX (Seasonic builder so its the same) > The rest.

You do not need above 550W unless you plan to SLI/XFire.

Motherboard:

The last person recommends a H97, maybe he knows you can OC on it with some tricky things but i doubt it so his suggestion is wrong.

Motherboard wise any decent one at the price range of 110-140E can do, Z97-A/ Gaming 4/Extreme 4 etc.

For me make sure its a Z97 whether you go locked or unlocked CPU for the memory support the Z97 has over the H97 for future proofing with the RAM since the cheap Z97 with full RAM support are the same price as the H97.

Prebuilts are, 99% of the time, a ripoff. Mainly because A) they overcharge on their prices and B) they use cheap parts.
    Reading posts would be so good dont you think?
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-28 at 11:01 AM.

Pretty sure the "firmware" thing your referring too was the Kingston V300's, not the EVOs. The MX's are usually cheaper anyways
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Pretty sure the "firmware" thing your referring too was the Kingston V300's, not the EVOs. The MX's are usually cheaper anyways
    Firmware is the Samsung 840 EVO. Kingston V300 is different (crappy) chips used without renaming the product.
    Samsung released a firmware update last month so you can check that out, it's not your typical firmware update however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    All the things they send you are decent and not bad choices but:

The standards of a gaming PC right now for you to understand better:

CPU Wise:

i5 4460/440 = Cheap option near the standard, preferred for those that do not have a budget that can increase AT ALL.

i5 4590 = The preferred locked CPU choise, you save 20E while barely losing any performance over the locked 4690.

i5 4690K = the standard,

i7 4790K = I got money to spend and want best of the best despite there is 0 gain

(Actually because the 4790K runs at 4.0Ghz by default there is a gain over the 3.5Ghz i5 but thats because of the frequency, at the same Hz they are the exact same)

GPU Wise:

280X the cheap option (Prices dropped, decent card 3GB VRAM can handle most decently at 1080p)

290/290X/970/780/780 Ti same category its the "Standard"

980 "I got money to spend"

Now i am mentioning the older cards cause the prices dropped, performance is still great but they arent preferred unless you find an awesome deal and plan to buy the next AMD ones in a few months that they are coming out.

The default standard choice is 970 because along with the performance for the price it comes with awesome temperatures and low power consumption.

SSD:

The Crucial MX100 256GB is the default choice cause its cheap as hell, performance is great and its from a company thats trusted.

Samsung 840 Evo is avoided nowadays cause of the whole firmware thing so any decent builder/IT/Salesman would not recommend it unless he knows the person can deal witht that stuff.

PSU Wise:

Seasonic/Superflower/XFX (Seasonic builder so its the same) > The rest.

You do not need above 550W unless you plan to SLI/XFire.

Motherboard:

The last person recommends a H97, maybe he knows you can OC on it with some tricky things but i doubt it so his suggestion is wrong.

Motherboard wise any decent one at the price range of 110-140E can do, Z97-A/ Gaming 4/Extreme 4 etc.

For me make sure its a Z97 whether you go locked or unlocked CPU for the memory support the Z97 has over the H97 for future proofing with the RAMS.

Reading posts would be so good eh?
    CPU:
    Well, I'm also going to be editing with Sony Vegas and I've read on other threads that I7 does a lot better on editing.

GPU:
    Mind going in detail on why a 970 is so much better? I like the sound if the heat being awesome, but what kind of awesome are we talking about? And what price are should I be looking out for?

SSD:
    I've heard that before, thank you...I'll change that in my list straight away.

PSU:
    I don't even know what SLI is and probably will never do crossfire. xD

Motherboard:
    Aight, I'll stick with this motherboard for now...

Sidequestion: I got 2x 2TB harddrives, with these parts, can I hook them up to this PC? (I assume it depends on the motherboard, but yea...I suck with PC hardware)

Overall:
    Any idea which of these chops is the closest to fair prices?
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2014-11-28 at 11:08 AM.

Ahh yeah, just looked and it's a bit of a combination of both for the V300's, they swapped chips and updated the firmware at the same time and shit hit the fan.

At least for the EVO they released a fix for it it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    CPU:
    Mind going in detail on why a 970 is so much better? I like the sound if the heat being awesome, but what kind of awesome are we talking about? And what price are should I be looking out for?
    It is, arguably, the best GPU for it's price out there at the moment.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-11-28 at 11:09 AM.

Pretty sure you need to start reading threads and start reading things if you wanna help people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Firmware is the Samsung 840 EVO. Kingston V300 is different (crappy) chips used without renaming the product.
    Samsung released a firmware update last month so you can check that out, it's not your typical firmware update however.
    I've heard that the MX was pretty good, I'll just go with that then. Thank you.

I edited the previous post, so you might have to scroll up.

CPU:
    Well, I'm also going to be editing with Sony Vegas and I've read on other threads that I7 does a lot better on editing.

GPU:

SSD:
    I've heard that before, thank you...I'll change that in my list straight away.

PSU:
    I don't even know what SLI is and probably will never do crossfire. xD

Motherboard:
    Aight, I'll stick with this motherboard for now...

Overall:
    Any idea which of these chops is the closest to fair prices?
    Yes then go for for the i7 if thats the case, i dont think Sony Vegas is that heavy to require i7, but why not..

Its better because its a card that came out 50 days ago, compared to the 290 that came out a year ago.

Thats why its better, by default the 970 is faster than a 290, its a bit faster/the same as a 290X, its much cooler and the aftermarket models like the MSI one thats highly recommended doesnt even start the fans until the card reaches 60C.

Less heat, less power consumption, 50 days old technology vs 1 year old technology.

The next AMD cards wont be out till late January/February/March, no one knows exactly, so the 970 is the only "way" the only "choice" in that category of cards.

Again as i said if you find the 290/290X/780/780 Ti really that much cheaper and by that i mean 250-280E over their usual 330-350E price then go for it, sell it when the new AMD cards come out, get the 380X thats supposed/probably gonna be faster than the 970.

SLI is Nvidia term for Crossfire, its two cards working "together", aka 2x 970 etc etc.

All the shops seems to have similar prices.

Go with the one with the best warranty for you.. Link me a builder or a shop and i can try fixing things up for you.. But dear god those sites dont have builders..
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-28 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    Yes then go for for the i7 if thats the case, i dont think Sony Vegas is that heavy to require i7, but why not..

Its better because its a card that came out 50 days ago, compared to the 290 that came out a year ago.

Thats why its better, by default the 970 is faster than a 290, its a bit faster/the same as a 290X, its much cooler and the aftermarket models like the MSI one thats highly recommended doesnt even start the fans until the card reaches 60C.

Less heat, less power consumption, 50 days old technology vs 1 year old technology.

The next AMD cards wont be out till late January/February/March, no one knows exactly.

SLI is Nvidia term for Crossfire, its two cards working "together", aka 2x 970 etc etc.
    Am I linking the right GPU here?
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...jd-null-tax-in

And is 335ish a decent price in euros?...I don't plan on doing Xfire, will I be able to run games on Ultra if I would go with this over the R9 290?

What is the difference between these two? And which one should you buy and why?
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...oductid-355522
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...oductid-357258

I tend to not buy the just released products because they are usually way to expensive and drop "fast" in price...that is stuff I know from 5 years ago so I don't know if it has changed.

Yes thats the right GPU.

The difference between the cards is how the "Core Clock" is set aka faster than the other.

Either way you do not want either of the cards.

The best choices right now are:

MSI Gaming 970 = Gigabyte G1 970 > The rest (They have better parts and this is for Europe.. Zotac for US is the same as these cards i think).

The 970 is already "dropped" in price in a way, Nvidia tends to release their cards at the 450/600E price range, now they are at 350/550, hence 970 is already "dropped"
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-28 at 11:24 AM.

Am I linking the right GPU here?
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...jd-null-tax-in

And is 335ish a decent price in euros?...I don't plan on doing Xfire, will I be able to run games on Ultra if I would go with this over the R9 290?
    Yes that is the correct card and either of the first 3 would be a good choice(try to avoid the EVGA ACX one as it's cooler is a bit...off of the GPU die).

And yes it will run most games on ultra and run better than the 290.

What is the difference between these two? And which one should you buy and why?
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...oductid-355522
    http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...oductid-357258

I tend to not buy the just released products because they are usually way to expensive and drop "fast" in price...that is stuff I know from 5 years ago so I don't know if it has changed.
    The Inno is a smaller card while the gigabyte has a better cooler(and is longer as a result) and is clocked slightly higher(by about 30Mhz). If you don't mind the longer card I would get the Gigabyte, better cooler and more DisplayPort outputs.

MSI Gaming 970 = Gigabyte G1 970 > The rest (They have better parts and this is for Europe.. Zotac for US is the same as these cards i think).
    Given that the MSI is a good €50 more than the Gigabyte, I would go for the Gigabyte

Given that the MSI is a good €50 more than the Gigabyte, I would go for the Gigabyte
    Considering thats not the card i am talking about you are wrong once more.

Thats the simple Windfoce 970, not the G1.

The G1 is the same price as the MSI gaming and its the best card of the bunch for overclocking with MSI following up close.

Here to make it easy for you:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5209#sp

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5212#sp

Different cards, different components, different pricing G1 >Windforce by default and in OC even more.

Deleted
    Yes thats the right GPU.

The difference between the cards is how the "Core Clock" is set aka faster than the other.

Either way you do not want either of the cards.

The best choices right now are:

The 970 is already "dropped" in price in a way, Nvidia tends to release their cards at the 450/600E price range, now they are at 350/550, hence 970 is already "dropped"
    So going by what you say and following my wallet I should go for this? http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwag...oductid-357258

It also gives a free game on this website should I decide to buy it there. (one I'd buy cheaper on steam for around 30 so that would give a price of 310ish...)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not into overclocking, get a Xeon (i7 without integrated GPU, cheaper) + H board.
    GPU, 970 is the standard choice.
    PSU, go with ~500W. Check out beQuiet. Best quality for your money.
    RAM, go with the cheapest 1600MHz Kit you like.
    SSD, Crucial is atm the way to go (cheap and very good). Go for 256GB.

Deleted
    Considering thats not the card i am talking about you are wrong once more.

Thats the simple Windfoce 970, not the G1.

The G1 is the same price as the MSI gaming and its the best card of the bunch for overclocking with MSI following up close.

Here to make it easy for you:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5209#sp

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5212#sp

Different cards, different components, different pricing G1 >Windforce by default and in OC even more.
    Jezus christ, it's so confusing. :/ Thank you so much, it's so easy to go for the wrong product.

Guess I'll have to look in a different e-shop for that one then.

Jezus christ, it's so confusing. :/ Thank you so much, it's so easy to go for the wrong product.

Guess I'll have to look in a different e-shop for that one then.
    You can just get the MSI, they are exactly the same thing and i doubt you will go extreme overclocking to see the difference.

I am trying to make a build for you but dear god the netherland sites dont have builders o.o

Deleted
    Ok I'll try this again so I would need to pick between:
    https://www.alternate.be/MSI/GTX-970...1?event=search
    https://www.alternate.be/GIGABYTE/GV...5?event=search

Out of this list: https://www.alternate.be/html/search...Order=PRICEASC

- - - Updated - - -

You can just get the MSI, they are exactly the same thing and i doubt you will go extreme overclocking to see the difference.

I am trying to make a build for you but dear god the netherland sites dont have builders o.o
    If you got the time and are willing, you have TS, vent or even Steam installed? Forgive me for asking so much, lol.

Hmm, i really cant link what i want...Wait i will link you from alternate 1 by 1

Fuck everything on those sites, resetting all the time

Just simply:

i7 4790K

Z97-Gaming 5 MSI as you want.

Antec Three Hundred Two as you want.

970 G1 Gigabyte

16GB Crucial Tactial 1866 CL9 (The higher frequency helps a bit in the whole sony vegas and price wise as i checked its almost the same with 1600)

XFX Pro 550W (The 65E one, not the 100E one)

Crucial MX100 256GB
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-28 at 11:49 AM.