10+ Year Old Account

Dark Souls 2 Remake: Scholar of the First Sin

As an old fan of King's Field and the Souls series...this makes me super excited. And to be honest I'm looking forward for this more than Blood Borne haha.

What do you think folks?

Discuss please.

It's not a remake. All it is, is an enhanced version of the base game that we PC players have to buy a second time because of From Software's screwy policy of "Well, it runs on a different DirectX version, so rather than giving existing players a choice between versions, we'll just make them cough up more money." Yeah.

Remake? You mean the exact same game with a slight graphics upgrade and some extra content?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It's not a remake. All it is, is an enhanced version of the base game that we PC players have to buy a second time because of From Software's screwy policy of "Well, it runs on a different DirectX version, so rather than giving existing players a choice between versions, we'll just make them cough up more money." Yeah.
    From Software just makes the game. Bandai Namco publishes it and has all say over it's pricing, or making you re buy a version. I have seen you post this wine in about 5 different threads now so I figured I would give you some cheese to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    From Software just makes the game. Bandai Namco publishes it and has all say over it's pricing, or making you re buy a version. I have seen you post this wine in about 5 different threads now so I figured I would give you some cheese to go with it.
    I've never, ever heard about this until now. How could I whine about something I didn't even know existed?

I've never, ever heard about this until now. How could I whine about something I didn't even know existed?
    Did you really just try to correct an intentional misspelling?

It seems the whole wine and cheese reference went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I may get the new version for PS4 so I can get the platinum trophy for it. Besides it'll give me a reason to replay DS2 and I'm always looking for a reason to replay DS2.

Did you really just try to correct an intentional misspelling?

It seems the whole wine and cheese reference went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over your head.
    My bad. Not used to modern day jokes (or whatever).

My bad. Not used to modern day jokes (or whatever).
    That joke is about as modern as the NES is.

10+ Year Old Account
    That joke is about as modern as the NES is.
    That's pretty modern, then.

Graphically it looks nice. Not sure if its worth buying a second time around though

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks namco, as if the horse wasnt dead to beat already
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

I got a PS4 at launch and refused to buy any more PS3 games, so I'm happy my patience *cough stubbornness* has paid off. I had bet a buddy they would release a remastered version once all of the DLC came out.

Have they come out with any more information on whether anything will transfer over (saves)? That buddy of mine is sweating about it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    I got a PS4 at launch and refused to buy any more PS3 games, so I'm happy my patience *cough stubbornness* has paid off. I had bet a buddy they would release a remastered version once all of the DLC came out.

Have they come out with any more information on whether anything will transfer over (saves)? That buddy of mine is sweating about it :P
    There wont be transfers.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Well this sound sweet. I havent played the DLC because I dont really fancy DLC even if its good. I'll wait for this and some low price for it and get the DLCs.
    Ok, seems its on PS4 which I have but I dont really wanna spend full money on a game I already own on PS3 & PC... again. They are really starting to milk the series. Hmmm.

Well I'll most likely get it for PS4 anyway, better lore and all that <3
    Last edited by mmocbc4c51efd3; 2014-12-15 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Well this sound sweet. I havent played the DLC because I dont really fancy DLC even if its good. I'll wait for this and some low price for it and get the DLCs.
    Ok, seems its on PS4 which I have but I dont really wanna spend full money on a game I already own on PS3 & PC... again. They are really starting to milk the series. Hmmm.

Well I'll most likely get it for PS4 anyway, better lore and all that <3
    *sigh* why do people keep saying this shit.... The game came out in 2014 of course they are going to port it to Next Gen systems. They've done it with every generation. If you don't want it, then don't buy it, but there are plenty of people that were waiting for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They've done it with every generation.
    Not really, outside of sports games cross gen games where very rare in between gens.

The 360/ps2 had a LITTLE cross over back in 2005/6 but nothing like what we have seen at the start of this gen.

GTA San Andreas, MGS3, God of War 1 and 2, Final Fantasy XII where all late gen huge releases and NONE of them got ported to next gen unless you want to count some HD remasters that came out yearS after them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, outside of sports games cross gen games where very rare in between gens.

The 360/ps2 had a LITTLE cross over back in 2005/6 but nothing like what we have seen at the start of this gen.

GTA San Andreas, MGS3, God of War 1 and 2, Final Fantasy XII where all late gen huge releases and NONE of them got ported to next gen unless you want to count some HD remasters that came out yearS after them.
    It wasn't a pronounced as this gen sure, but there were plenty of games that carried over. The main difference was that there were far more exclusive games in the previous generation and HD remakes weren't so prevalent.

Even so, it's a common occurrence now that late last gen games get ported to next gen. I don't even really see the argument for it being greedy either. From Software is going to be releasing not only a new game but a new IP so this port obviously isn't halting their dev time on other games, and people have been asking for it. I even know a couple people who anticipated this and have held off buying DS2 entirely until it came to PS4.

I just think it's stupid that people are calling From Software greedy and calling it a money grab. Is it going to make them money? Definitely, but the fans wanted it, there was tons of precedent for it, and best of all, if you don't want to drop the cash on the new version you get all of the new content they are going to create for it FOR FREE. I just don't see what there is to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It wasn't a pronounced as this gen sure, but there were plenty of games that carried over. The main difference was that there were far more exclusive games in the previous generation and HD remakes weren't so prevalent.

Even so, it's a common occurrence now that late last gen games get ported to next gen. I don't even really see the argument for it being greedy either. From Software is going to be releasing not only a new game but a new IP so this port obviously isn't halting their dev time on other games, and people have been asking for it. I even know a couple people who anticipated this and have held off buying DS2 entirely until it came to PS4.

I just think it's stupid that people are calling From Software greedy and calling it a money grab. Is it going to make them money? Definitely, but the fans wanted it, there was tons of precedent for it, and best of all, if you don't want to drop the cash on the new version you get all of the new content they are going to create for it FOR FREE. I just don't see what there is to complain about.
    The team making this DS2 port is not the same team making Bloodborne. From Software has 2 full production teams, so yes one of them is held up milking DS2.

This is very much the definition of "milking" a product.

The same way Rockstar is milking GTA5 for all it can get, PS3/360 release, PS4/XBO a year later, PC 3 months later, Story DLC expansion sometime next year.

The same way Activision is milking CoD by releasing it on the 360/PS3 still

The same way Atlus milks the hell out of Persona 4 with fighting games, dancing games and spinoffs.

Milking isn't always a bad thing, but milking is milking. Personally I care less, if you have a cash cow milk it. If I care to buy it I will.

What I would like to see is more next gen focused games in a crossgen heavy world. Outside of exclusives they are few and far between.