Standalone Mic Required

Hi all,

I recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Headphones - 250 Ohm and so are looking for a decent mic to go along with it. I would only need it for raid calling and skype so definitely nothing extreme yet ideally durable and clear.

Any suggestions?

If you got the DT990 as 250 Ohms version you must already have a sound card, and depending on how good it is I think you could use a 08/15 noname Microphone and get at least decent results, and if not, it's 15$ or so that you invested in finding out which mic you can't use

Edit: Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1...Zalman+ZM-MIC1

The problem with standalone mics is that the cheap ones are basically all crap. Then you have a large-ish gap in prices, then come the decent mics.

The cheapest decent mic is the Samson C01U-PRO at about $70. Everything below that one sounds like a tin can. The base mic comes with everything you need to sound decent (stand, mic and usb cable.) You may want to get a pop filter later if you find that your 's' and 'p' sound bad but it should not be needed. Just make sure you speak into the front (looking at the LED) and not the top.

Quote Originally Posted by villadelfia View Post
    The problem with standalone mics is that the cheap ones are basically all crap. Then you have a large-ish gap in prices, then come the decent mics.

The cheapest decent mic is the Samson C01U-PRO at about $70. Everything below that one sounds like a tin can. The base mic comes with everything you need to sound decent (stand, mic and usb cable.) You may want to get a pop filter later if you find that your 's' and 'p' sound bad but it should not be needed. Just make sure you speak into the front (looking at the LED) and not the top.
    He wants to skype and Teamspeak/mumble/vent, not recording High Quality Podcasts...^^

[QUOTE=Karon;31175037]If you got the DT990 as 250 Ohms version you must already have a sound card, and depending on how good it is I think you could use a 08/15 noname Microphone and get at least decent results, and if not, it's 15$ or so that you invested in finding out which mic you can't use

Thanks Karon, yes, thats along the lines of what I was thinking however the Zalman mic seems to be a bit hit and miss? worth spending an extra $20-30 for something that will last?

Deleted
    What about a ModMic?

I think at the modmic price range ($50 before shipping) better off going for other options. Will do a bit of research. Thanks guys.

I'm using a Blue Snowball. Currently there's an amazing deal on amazon US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptqt View Post
    I think at the modmic price range ($50 before shipping) better off going for other options. Will do a bit of research. Thanks guys.
    Yeah quality and convenience costs

- - - Updated - - -

If you want cheap just order one or two Mini Clip-on mics from DX They're $2.47 and free shipping (7-10 days) they work just fine even if they're a bit flimsy, hence why I said get two

Amazon options:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Computer-C...e+mini+clip+on
    http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-3-5mm-H...r+mini+clip+on

- - - Updated - - -

Another one worth mentioning for relatively cheap option:

Sony Lav Mic $15 (clip-on mic) test video here
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-12-17 at 08:14 AM.

Deleted
    this might be sliiiightly off the scale.

But im using a Rode NT2A with a focusrite 2i2

i had to put down the sensitivity down becouse my best freind on skype could hear my gf eating bread (the hard stuff) from upstairs (mind you, im sitting in a music studio downstairs)

also gotten used to, to turn off the mic when i go on the toilet.. can get rather embarresing at times..

so yeah.. theres that if you want to go nuts but then again, im using my mic for music mostly, but also skype.
    gonna use it way more for my next guitar im gonna get..

Anyway, have fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Samson Go Mic

Small, cheap, easy to use, sounds good. Perfect for voice chat.