Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow is the ultimate nightmare spec to farm savage bloods

Recently I leveled 6 of my 85 alts to obtain additional savage bloods via barn work orders.

I'm usually farming/caging the Wetland Trampler in Nagrand and it's a breeze to do so on my warlock/death knight but my 2 shadows can neither face tank nor cc the elites and usually end up running in a circle for 2 minutes or dying to 20k hits.

How do you guys farm/trap elites without going insane?
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2014-12-19 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suggestions:

1. Mind Blast glyph (the one that roots them in place on crit) helps get a decent chunk of damage off
    2. Assign a bodyguard to your Barracks and bring them with you, a decent bodyguard can face tank it (you can heal them) for you or provide a substantial amount of damage
    3. Mind Flay glyph (increases run speed) along with Angelic Feather will help you run circles around them (especially if you have the wolf mount garrison building) thus eliminating any damage the elite beasts can do to you.
    4. Capture the giant Riverbeasts in Nagrand, they provide savage blood and Savage Feasts for raiding, a 2 for 1 special (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=87021)
    Troll Shadow Priest
    (H) - Mal'ganis US

if u are not a dk or monk, its pretty standard to have to invest some time into trapping them elite beasts. Better gear helps, a follower helps too. but as an elemental i have to heal myself in between, use roots, dmg reduction cooldowns and stuff like that. I think the hardest class to do this might by mage. As a spriest u can at least heal your self up while fighting.

It's completely fine when I farm bulls with my 660-ish spriest + Vivianne. Just pw:s on cd, root them, feather and slow them with insanity mind flays etc. Never have to Flash Heal myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnomnoms View Post
    Suggestions:

1. Mind Blast glyph (the one that roots them in place on crit) helps get a decent chunk of damage off
    2. Assign a bodyguard to your Barracks and bring them with you, a decent bodyguard can face tank it (you can heal them) for you or provide a substantial amount of damage
    3. Mind Flay glyph (increases run speed) along with Angelic Feather will help you run circles around them (especially if you have the wolf mount garrison building) thus eliminating any damage the elite beasts can do to you.
    4. Capture the giant Riverbeasts in Nagrand, they provide savage blood and Savage Feasts for raiding, a 2 for 1 special (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=87021)
    Thank's for the tips. Although I'm not willing to run in circles for an hour per day on my farming alts. That would be beyond counterproductive. (Especially with 6 garrisons/barns)

I switched to disc and I'm doing okish but in the long run I will have to delete those 2 shadows and replace them with 2 hunters or warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    It's completely fine when I farm bulls with my 660-ish spriest + Vivianne. Just pw:s on cd, root them, feather and slow them with insanity mind flays etc. Never have to Flash Heal myself.
    I can imagine with that itemlevel and follower!
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2014-12-19 at 06:58 PM.

As a tailor, I trap the Direfang Alphas. I've had good luck with...

Glyphs: Mind Blast, Reflective Shield, Vamp Embrace

Talents: Body and Soul, Clarity of Power (particularly for the instant mind blasts)

Mount: Frostwolf War Wolf mount

I kill the nearby smaller wolves first... both to clear the area, and to get 5 orbs. (I'm sure there are things to kill around the Wetland Trampler you're after.)
    At max range, I VT, (then begin backing up) SW: P, DP, MBlast, then Insanity. I don't use the Glyph of Mind Flay. I find slowing the wolf's approach towards me to be useful. Once the wolf is almost on top of me, I MBlast, PW: S and sprint to one side, re-applying SW: P as I go. Getting to max range again, VT, Blast, DP... and Insanity again. When the wolf is close, sprint through him (PW: S if it's up) and get to the opposite side at max range. Back and forth... Rinse and repeat.

One thing... once the animal is trapped, it will be there a for few seconds before it disappears. Use that time to mind blast it a couple more times... and hopefully get back to 4 or 5 orbs for the next one. Good luck.

My method for River beasts: Get follower to tank....dps down to 50% drop trap behind follower and crank yank (leap of faith) your follower to you.
    If you are killing too quickly before Leap of faith is back off CD drop a trap next to the beast and fear them into it.

As mentioned before rack up Orbs once trapped with MB... also you can shield your follower if beast enrages.

This method does not work well on wolves since your follower gets ripped apart. I usually just circle and kite them on the Nagrand mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriat View Post
    Recently I leveled 6 of my 85 alts to obtain additional savage bloods via barn work orders.

I'm usually farming/caging the Wetland Trampler in Nagrand and it's a breeze to do so on my warlock/death knight but my 2 shadows can neither face tank nor cc the elites and usually end up running in a circle for 2 minutes or dying to 20k hits.

How do you guys farm/trap elites without going insane?
    • Use the Nagrand special stables-only mount that allows you to fight while mounted
    • Do not use mind flay glyph
    • DO use glyph of reflective shield
    • Use the Surge of Darkness and CoP Talents
    Dot the thing up and kite, using instant mindblasts, instant reflective shields, instant mind spikes, instant devouring plagues, and refreshing instant SW:P 's to always be moving as he gets close to you. When he's not close to you, mind flay. If you do this correctly, you should be doing close to your full dps while never taking a single point of damage (not even exaggerating). It's extremely fast and easy, and doesn't require big cooldowns or followers to tank for you. I'm honestly surprised to hear everyone doesn't do this...

The thread should honestly be titled "Shadow is the ultimate spec to farm savage bloods" (that's what I read it as when I came in here)
    Last edited by Necessarily; 2014-12-19 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you're correct that my ilvl 610 dk and 640 shadowpriest is about similar in farming speed, but gear matters a lot when it comes to squishy clothies.
    Now that my shadowpriest has 650 ilvl i absolutely wreck the beasts. I barely lose Health with pw:s, and usually when i'm low, the frond (inn item that heals you fully in 5 secs) is ready. I have Leorajh as a bodyguard for occasional heals, 3-4k ish extra dps and the mission table.

Also, bonus info:
    Traps lasts 30 secs and have 15 secs cd.. Ohh what does that mean? :O 2 traps per beast! BOOM, I just improved your farming speed 100% on your 6 characters.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..

I find the wetland tramplers much easier. Use the smaller ones to always start with 5 orbs, full weaving rotation, use PW:S when possible, end the fight with ~50% hp, always double stack traps, heal between pulls. np. The Direfangs you just need to learn how to kite.

but yeah I have a shaman alt and I dont even bother because he isnt geared and it would be utter shit trying to trap anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    • Use the Nagrand special stables-only mount that allows you to fight while mounted
    • Do not use mind flay glyph
    • DO use glyph of reflective shield
    • Use the Surge of Darkness and CoP Talents
    Dot the thing up and kite, using instant mindblasts, instant reflective shields, instant mind spikes, instant devouring plagues, and refreshing instant SW:P 's to always be moving as he gets close to you. When he's not close to you, mind flay. If you do this correctly, you should be doing close to your full dps while never taking a single point of damage (not even exaggerating). It's extremely fast and easy, and doesn't require big cooldowns or followers to tank for you. I'm honestly surprised to hear everyone doesn't do this...

The thread should honestly be titled "Shadow is the ultimate spec to farm savage bloods" (that's what I read it as when I came in here)
    Actually, I'm surprised aswell, I heard only ranting ppl complaining about shadow survivability, (in my opinion best from all ranged dmg dealers) whilst we can do this on Any mob even if they hit for 50-100K or w/e just run around it and kill it. (I was killing the magnarok 100 resource rares with this tactic, love to be able to kite without hunter)

I usually get my 20 in about 10-15 minutes. Always waiting on my garrison hearth to come back up. Rarely lose health with pw: shield and the healing devouring plague give you.

Quote Originally Posted by LL Hand J View Post
    I usually get my 20 in about 10-15 minutes. Always waiting on my garrison hearth to come back up. Rarely lose health with pw: shield and the healing devouring plague give you.
    Try that on your 590 garrison alt shadow priest. I can get 20 cages in 15 minutes on my 585 lock np.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpy View Post
    Actually, I'm surprised aswell, I heard only ranting ppl complaining about shadow survivability, (in my opinion best from all ranged dmg dealers) whilst we can do this on Any mob even if they hit for 50-100K or w/e just run around it and kill it. (I was killing the magnarok 100 resource rares with this tactic, love to be able to kite without hunter)
    Yes I could run in circles for an hour per day and yes I could gear the heck out of my 2 shadows but in both cases I would completely miss the point of having multiple efficient, savage blood and gold providing garrison alts.
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2014-12-20 at 06:48 PM.

Yeah ok and now try that with your 590 garrison alt shadow priest. I can get 20 cages in 15 minutes on my 585 lock np.
    Try having friends to help. I have 4 barns running and guildmates will run with me on there main and I will do the same for them to get them done quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LL Hand J View Post
    Try having friends to help. I have 4 barns running and guildmates will run with me on there main and I will do the same for them to get them done quickly.
    Thank's for the tip but I don't even have a decent guild / I'm not a very social player in WoW.
    Anyway I switched to disc with mind bender/smite+reflective shield glyph and I'm quite happy with the result.
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2014-12-20 at 06:59 PM.

didnt read the thread at all but if it hasnt been said at all heres the most important tips to do it fast and efficiently.

1. Do it with a friend (no more then 1 friend).
    2. Get bodyguard.
    3. Double trap (place one on pull and on CD).

Farm infinite amount extremely fast.

Yes I could run in circles for an hour per day and yes I could gear the heck out of my 2 shadows but in both cases I would completely miss the point of having multiple efficient, savage blood and gold providing garrison alts.
    I think you have completely missed the point that you can perform a complete rotation while kiting - so it shouldn't take any longer than it does on any other class. Or may you don't know how to strafe and cast?

Recently I leveled 6 of my 85 alts
    I'm not a very social player
    You don't say...

http://i.imgur.com/qymNzYo.png

Mod note: We do not allow memes/reaction images.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2014-12-27 at 02:25 PM.

Gee I wonder why you don't have an armory link in your sig. Such a charming and elitist fellow.
    Anyway running in a circle is not efficient and it's not something that I would want to do on a daily basis. That's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    You don't say...
    Ye I rather watch a movie while playing than chatting and socializing in an online game.

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily
    Or may you don't know how to strafe and cast?
    I know very well how to strafe and cast
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2014-12-20 at 07:49 PM.

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents that void tendrils seem to work well, at least on the riverbeasts. I've had them sit rooted for the full 20 seconds, but I've also had them break it pretty quickly so your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankmarvin View Post
    One thing... once the animal is trapped, it will be there a for few seconds before it disappears. Use that time to mind blast it a couple more times... and hopefully get back to 4 or 5 orbs for the next one. Good luck.
    Better thing...throw a 2nd trap under it so you catch 2 for 1 beast