Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Perhaps her client shouldnt have been a scumbag criminal. Then they wouldnt have to worry about having their picture taken
    You do realize what a public defender does, right? Particularly in large cities with massive inner city populations?

"I will arrest you for resisting arrest" How does that work? MAYBE obstruction, even then, that man is under no obligation to allow photos be taken while he is not under arrest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Well it's a public defender, and surprisingly detectives are pretty well versed in what their legal rights are when detaining or making arrests. It's kinda their job, too.
    Not really, a cops job is to find a suspect and build a case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    If you're out in public, they can photograph you as much as they want.
    Yes you can snap a photo of me, but I can also shield my face, as I am still a free person. I am in no way required to stand there and let you snap a mug of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Pretty sure it's more an example of, "I'm arresting you for doing something I don't like, I'll figure out what for later."

But, if you're going to take the angle that the cops know the law better than the lawyers, and they REALLY KNOW their limitations and what the legal boundaries are, why would he make such a foolish mistake as "misspeaking" the charge? Do you think this guy really thought out this arrest, and it was simply a slip of the tongue?

Because that's obviously all bullshit.
    DING DING DING

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Again, this video doesn't contain the whole interaction. They may have informed her to stop interfering or she'd be arrested for obstruction, then she continued, adding resisting. It isn't relevant since her citation was for obstruction - it doesn't matter what random thing he said during this small portion of the interaction.

She was cited for obstruction. Read above, where law professors agree that the officers were likely in the right, legally.
    You cannot resist arrest until THEY ARE TRYING TO ARREST YOU! "would you like me to arrest you?" "Yes please". A lot of resistance there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    Maybe I'm just getting desensitized by the daily onslaught of "POLICE RAPED MY DOG AND SHIT ON MY CARPET!" because I just can't bring myself to care about such a minor incident. She spent an hour locked up? OH NO!

3/10 for effort though.
    Yeh fuck rights. They may have only been trampled a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps her client shouldnt have been a scumbag criminal. Then they wouldnt have to worry about having their picture taken
    This line and your avatar = irony.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets be fair wells, he only wants to break the law because he is being disturbed during his quite time.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It'd be nice if this asshole cop got fired.

*daydreams*
    『Fun Removed by DPRK 』

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    More defense lawyers should be thrown in prison in my opinion.
    You get me for a second every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    You get me for a second every time.
    Ya, screw those guys for being forced by the job market to go into the most demeaning legal position of that level in the profession!! They're already down, kick them some more!

10+ Year Old Account
    A law that I have NOT broken and a law that has no victims

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
    10/10, and I guarantee he will not see the inherent hypocrisy. There are always extenuating circumstances when it's you who's breaking the law.
    Dude called it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    You do realize what a public defender does, right? Particularly in large cities with massive inner city populations?
    Are trying to ridiculously assert that cops go around and round up innocent people all the time and just charge them with random stuff because they are bored? somewhere around 90% of people that are arrested are either found guilty or take a plea deal (which in my opinion shouldnt exist)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Lets be fair wells, he only wants to break the law because he is being disturbed during his quite time.
    Sometimes you gotta take the law into your own hands and become a vigilante when the system fails you

Can someone explain arresting someone for resisting arrest to me?

San Francisco is a very left wing city and public defender is a very left wing job. Just pointing that out, do with it what you will.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    San Francisco is a very left wing city and public defender is a very left wing job. Just pointing that out, do with it what you will.
    What's left wing about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dean771 View Post
    Can someone explain arresting someone for resisting arrest to me?
    You are supposed to listen to the police officer and follow his orders. IF you do not, and you try to prevent them from arresting you in any way (trying to flee, wrestling the cops, refusing to let them handcuff you etc...), you will get a resisting arrest charge added to your list of charges and really, resisting is a stupid thing to do because they WILL get you anyway and youll just end up doing more time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fuck. You're the biggest hypocrite on these boards.
    Numerous times you've condoned arrest for victimless crimes, and now you're using that as a defense?

Fucking hypocrite

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you gotta take the law into your own hands and become a vigilante when the system fails you
    Thank's for the new sig. Fucking hypocrite

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Numerous times you've condoned arrest for victimless crimes, and now you're using that as a defense?

Fucking hypocrite
    It's Orlong. Reality and his universe don't overlap on the Venn Diagram of life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What's left wing about it?
    Its about 50% gays, has draconian environmental laws (first city to mandate recycling, first city to ban plastic bags, 90% of the population drives electric and hybrid cars) and they elected Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer to the house multiple times, etc..)

Its about 50% gays, has draconian environmental laws (first city to mandate recycling, first city to ban plastic bags, 90% of the population drives electric and hybrid cars, They elected Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer to the house multiple times, etc..)
    Sorry, public defenders.

Also lol 50% gays.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are supposed to listen to the police officer and follow his orders. IF you do not, and you try to prevent them from arresting you in any way (trying to flee, wrestling the cops, refusing to let them handcuff you etc...), you will get a resisting arrest charge added to your list of charges and really, resisting is a stupid thing to do because they WILL get you anyway and youll just end up doing more time.
    What the fuck are you talking about? She couldn't be resisting arrest, because SHE WASN'T UNDER ARREST.
    She was anything but resisting

10+ Year Old Account
    Are trying to ridiculously assert that cops go around and round up innocent people all the time and just charge them with random stuff because they are bored? somewhere around 90% of people that are arrested are either found guilty or take a plea deal (which in my opinion shouldnt exist)
    Perhaps her client shouldnt have been a scumbag criminal
    Do you know what a public defender is? And what populations they end up with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Only drug laws, but I think they DO have victims. When someone gets stoned and drives a vehicle they put lives at danger. Jamming a cell phone so I can have a peaceful dinner or a quiet library so Im actually able to understand the books I read, literally has no victims

Well I hope you like serving on juries all the time.

She wasn't under arrest so...