Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

So I Got This in my Anti-Net Neutrality E-mail Today...

http://www.standunited.org/petition/...mpaign=2015297

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why Republican groups send me junk mail so often, but this one caught my eye. Now, I've known for a while that companies like Comcast have been spending many millions of dollars lobbying Congressmen to take up the cause to kill Net Neutrality, but to see it framed like this is just shocking. "Obama's trying to take over the internet" is the tactic now? I've seen a lot of disgusting falsehoods in my time, but that may take the cake. To accuse the government of doing what it is trying, through the rule of law, to prevent private corporations from doing, I just...how could anyone possibly believe that nonsense?

I typically try to avoid these political topics. But as I'm sure it is for many of you, the issue of Net Neutrality is one near and dear to my heart. I've found that most people educated on the issue, regardless of what side of their fence they typically are politically, regard Net Neutrality as sacrosanct. We need laws to protect it, and I really feel that it falls to young conservatives to stand up to their older peers and tell them to not make this a political issue. Washington lobbyists are attempting to exploit the ignorance of older voters on this issue by convincing them the big bad government is trying to control the internet.

And let's face it, whether Republican or Democrat, young people hold little power in Washington. That's why we need to stand together on this issue. It took a hell of a lot of pressure from young Democrats to get their older peers to support Net Neutrality (and there's still plenty of Dems lining their pockets with telecom money spreading these falsehoods too, but at least they've finally been marginalized). Young Republicans need to do the same thing. Because a free and open internet should be important to people who truly consider themselves conservatives. I worry, however, that anti-Obama fervor is so prevalent that Republicans will unite against Net Neutrality simply because Obama is for it.

We all know what will happen if Net Neutrality dies. In a nation that already lags behind the Western world (excuse the pun) in internet speed, ISPs absolutely can NOT have the power to decide what speeds they'll provide for different sites. So is this finally the issue important enough to young people in this country that they will actually fight for it? Okay, it's not quite civil rights or war protesting, but it'd be nice if we could show we believe in something. What do you think?

Do these people not understand what the FFC is trying to do? I wonder who is behind that petition (My money is on AT&T).
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

I lost it at Heather H.'s "thousands of years".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I think they hear the name and it sounds like its trying to take away freedoms but its actually the exact opposite and they are too stupid to read any of it.

Clever marketing that gets idiots that just read headlines to go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst thing about that site is that if you don't sign the petition you can't comment on the petition, which obviously means it turns in to one big circlejerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Where is the related fox news article? Bullshit propaganda without one feels hollow.

Reminds me of the Laissez Faire Club spam I get in my spam folder about a doctor who was arrested for curing cancer but "if I act fast, I can watch a 30min video about it!"

Things would be better here, in the US, if we just let the people who clearly can't come to grips with responsibility and reality go play in their woods and leave the rest of us alone. That way we get to be great again, and all the jimbobs can go play with their guns in the forest and pretend to be manly men to each other. Freedom my ass, more like the freedom to do whatever you want without consequence or without dealing with the aftereffects. "Hurr durr I luv muh freedum" types always blow hot air about being controlled while they enjoy the myriad of benefits control brings. Yeah I'm sure most of them are ready to overthrow the government and establish a libertarian paradise, as long as they can get more ammo from Walmart... and then actually do something instead of endlessly bitching about how awful life is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its because Obama supports it and not because of what Net Neutrality stands for.

Its a tough call, I dont know who is more likely to fuck up the internet, the government or the telecoms.

Id also like to add, isnt net neutrality what we currently have? Why do we need a 300 page law of something thats already on the books?

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember folks! Most of those comments are actual people who vote in your elections. It's absolutely hilarious how misinformed the American public is.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Id also like to add, isnt net neutrality what we currently have? Why do we need a 300 page law of something thats already on the books?
    It's what you used to have, informally, before ISPs decided that running a protection racket would be a nice way to increase their profits.

And because they did that, we're making it formal.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Almost as good as the petitions to ban di-hydrogen oxide. Uneducated people will sign anything you put in front of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Almost as good as the petitions to ban di-hydrogen oxide. Uneducated people will sign anything you put in front of them.
    What's even the point of trying to ban that, at all?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    http://www.standunited.org/petition/...mpaign=2015297

Now, I've known for a while that companies like Comcast have been spending many millions of dollars lobbying Congressmen to take up the cause to kill Net Neutrality, but to see it framed like this is just shocking. "Obama's trying to take over the internet" is the tactic now? I've seen a lot of disgusting falsehoods in my time, but that may take the cake.
    Pretty much, it's so hard to believe that some people are completely blind to every issue and automatically go "Obama no gud, so this no gud." Honestly. That's pretty much how my father is with net neutrality and it's pretty aggravating.

It's also ironic considering we use Comcast, and they are so shitty and spotty I'm surprised he doesn't support net neutrality just to spite Comast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    What's even the point of trying to ban that, at all?
    Dihydrogen oxide is also known as H2 O or commonly called water. The point is to prove people are stupid and will sign anything without thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    RACHEL H.
    1 hr
    WE DONT NEED A MUSLIM TO RUIN OUT NETWORK.HE DONT EVEN WRITE HIS OWN SPEECHES.HE DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO WORK ON A COMPUTER.RACHEL
    I love this one. She probably has no idea that not writing all of his own speeches is something every single president ever has done.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    The sad thing no amount of education seems to get rid of that (*). Add to that, that most people don't want to argue things or don't want to look dumb when they aren't sure what to make of something and here we go..

(*) I have seen simular things in other countries mit free and more widespread education, but sadly not the exact same trick question. Would be interesting to see how diffrent countries and their activists fair.